Skills Development Providers (SDPs) & Training Providers

Some info received from SAQA – Interesting?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Des Squire
    Participant

This is a direct response, to a query I raised with SAQA,received from one of the directors – thought it migh be of interest

SAQA has no regulations about who may or may not use qualifications registered on the NQF. NQF registered qualifications and unit standards are public property for any provider and learner to take up. This means there is nothing preventing a provider from offering a short course, a skills programme or even a full qualification .
    The full qualification would need to be accredited by the relevant ETQA whereas a short course or skills programme, even if aligned to unit standards, does not have to be accredited.
    The accreditation goes about the ability of the provider to offer the qualification and the ability to assess learner progress and competency reliably and validly.

Learnerships do not fall under the authority of SAQA but are a Department of Labour process and procedure. A learnership is an agreement between three parties to train people in a particular sector which results in the learners being upskilled for a particular job and attaining an NQF registered qualification.

A learnership is but one of a number of ways for a learner to obtain a qualification.

Learnerships are controlled by SETAs on behalf of the Department of Labour. The three parties involved are the learner, the training provider and the workplace.

It is the Department of Labour who approve the establishment of a learnership by a SETA. SAQA plays no role in learnerships other than recording learner results on the qualification used in the learnership.

Share on Social Media

Thanx Des,

Very interesting indeed.

Would it be possible for you to forward a copy of the e-mail to me at info@imiq.za.net.

It would be appreciated.

Thanx.

Lorin

This is interesting Des, we are currently trying to register a skills programme for laminating (as part of a boat building qualification) and are told our programme does not meet the criterion. The ability to offer the qualification and the ability to assess competency is not included in the application form. The required information is: need for programme, research, contribution to learnership, unit stds, access, assumed learning and credits.

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Hi Des,
    Thanks so much for this information.
    One of my clients has been trying to gain accreditation with the Health and Welfare SETA for short courses in the field of Occupational Health and Safety. They followed the HWSETA accreditation plan and cycle to the letter but the HWSETA did not meet their own deadlines in informing my client whether they were compliant and thus ready for a site visit. Instead four months after they expected a response from the HWSETA and after many phone calls and emails they received a letter to say that will not attain accreditation with the HWSETA because they were no longer accrediting training providers that were offereing short courses based on one or two Unit Standards but only those that were offering a full qualification.
    According to your information that you have posted does this mean that the unilateral decision made by the HWSETA is actaully illegal and can be challenged by this client?
    Kind Regards,
    Caron

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Hi Des,
    Thanks so much for this information.
    One of my clients has been trying to gain accreditation with the Health and Welfare SETA for short courses in the field of Occupational Health and Safety. They followed the HWSETA accreditation plan and cycle to the letter but the HWSETA did not meet their own deadlines in informing my client whether they were compliant and thus ready for a site visit. Instead four months after they expected a response from the HWSETA and after many phone calls and emails they received a letter to say that will not attain accreditation with the HWSETA because they were no longer accrediting training providers that were offereing short courses based on one or two Unit Standards but only those that were offering a full qualification.
    According to your information that you have posted does this mean that the unilateral decision made by the HWSETA is actaully illegal and can be challenged by this client?
    Kind Regards,
    Caron

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Share on Social Media