Skills Development Providers (SDPs) & Training Providers

First Aid training – DoEL registration – new & existing providers

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Nigel Shipston
    Participant

Hi Sylvia,
    While there may be some delays in issuing of SoR’s, not all SETA’s are to blame, in fact many of the delays are a result of providers not adhering to correct QA processes, thus delaying endorsement of results. While the basic First Aid Regulation is subject to a virtually the same wording as that of Lifting Machinery, First Aid is not subject to a rather contrary Code of Practice of Lifting Machines. There is no reason for a training provider of First Aid not to issue a Certificate of Training to successful candidates, pending verification/external moderation of results and subsequent issue of SoR’s and Certificate of Competence.

As to the Association’s position, angazi! To be honest I do not believe they have done sufficient research on the background of these issues, but have been sidetracked by what appears to be a one sided opinion, be it right or wrong. I have no issues with pushing a valid issue for a sector but it seems these days it is popular to push agenda’s for the sake of being seen to “be doing something”.

Graham Pearson
    Participant

Good day all

Yes, Saiosh has submitted an number of Occupational Health & Safety Skills programmes to the QCTO for registration, however with the QCTOs “newset” policy that Skills Programmes need to meet a minimum of 8 credits to be registered is proving to be problematic.

Saiosh along with IWH and a number of other professional bodies are now addressing this latest development/ change with the QCTO as their are many short courses less than 8 credits that need to be registered and addressed.

Regards

Graham Pearson
    Chairperson: SHASTAC

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Thanks Graham

QCTO made this decision – based upon what practical experience in the workplace?

I can immediately think of the Counterbalance Truck – as I recall that is Level 3 & 7 Credits.

There are some very small, but very necessary components of workplaces, that need to be recognised.

Graham Pearson
    Participant

Good morning

Saiosh along with IWH are having a meeting with QCTO this morning to discuss the need for recognition of short regulatory courses that do not meet the QCTO Skills Programme requirements and are shorter then 8 credits and may not necessarily not be a persons Qualification.

Hoping that this will bear fruit as it needs to be addressed urgently.

Regards

Graham Pearson
    Chairperson: SHASTAC

Nigel Shipston
    Participant

Agreed Sylvia, unit standards have proven effective in many instances of compliance training and any number of workplace functions that may not be classified as occupations, nor served by a skills programme exceeding the immediate requirements of the employee. While I have always supported QCTO initiatives, I believe they need to pay more attention to these training interventions which are the bread and butter of the vast majority of training providers who also fall within the SMME category.
    Even before the disaster of lockdown and subsequent consequences, these providers are throwing everything at surviving, yet little is proving positive in looking forward. They are not being included in decisions that will ultimately effect their operations and it seems common these days for organisation’s to influence decisions that serve the needs of limited interests and not those of the people who should be considered.
    Sad to say that the authorities do not appear to interrogate claims of representation and condone and perpetuate a system of decision making that does not include pertinent participation.

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Share on Social Media