Skills Development Providers (SDPs) & Training Providers

First Aid training – DoEL registration – new & existing providers

Viewing 5 posts - 6 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Lynel,
    Thank you for your comprehensive response.

You are so right – if we had known this would take on Biblical proportions we might even have started a separate site ;).

Seriously, though, I do have a thought about that – I will email you.

I have found the Government Gazette of 2020, which extended the date of this DoEL requirement to 1 April 2021. So, I have edited the original post of this discussion & added it. Have a look, it clearly states that it had previously been extended.
    (I didn’t go back further, but with time that would be something to do.)

It would be very useful if you can check from the QCTO side about any applications to register First Aid as a skills programme.

My concern is this – what do stakeholders do about First Aid training?

The Annexure II WSP & ATR & PIVOTAL reports are due at the end of this month – April.
    Stakeholders are reporting on training done, depending upon the SETA, either:
    * April 2020 to March 2021 or
    * January 2020 to December 2020.
    And making plans for the corresponding years forward.

In those plans – who are they going to use?
    Are there sufficient SETA accredited providers?

Lynel Farrell
    Keymaster

Hi Sylvia,

You are most welcome. Yes, the extension was extended and extended again and again – I think I have lost track on how many times it has been extended – it could be 4 times. Okay, wait let me try to see how many times this was done ………………….

1. First GG 40313 that I could pick up was on the 30 September 2016 whereby it gave Providers 12 months to obtain accreditation with HWSeta.
    2. The biggest obstacle for providers during 2016/2017: the impossible requirements to obtain accreditation with HWSeta – a meeting was held on the 2 May 2017 with HWSeta, DoL and majority of SETA ETQAs to get a solution for First Aid Providers. It was clear that more SETAs could accredit providers for the First Aid unit standards – so they had to change the first notice to include other SETAs.
    3. Extension dates after the first notice August 2017, August/October 2018, April 2019 then it was extended to the 31 March 2020 and then finally again until the 31 March 2021.

The unit standards gives an indication of which SETAs approve providers, and they are HWSeta, FP&MSeta, Teta, MQA, Merseta, Services Seta, CETA, Caths Seta, SasSeta and Umalusi. Not all SETAs approve the three unit standards – but what I could pick up, is that Teta and MQA approves all three. There could be more, but my time is limited at the moment, as I am preparing for exams this week.

Yes, you are correct, this notice have been extended before – in fact, it got extended over a number of years, which gave more than sufficient time for unaccredited providers to obtain accreditation with one of the SETAs.

I checked U/S 119567, there are 505 providers listed as being accredited to offer this unit standard (First Aid Level 1). We also know, that there could be more but they have not been added to the list yet.

This unit standard, as per SAQA have been re-registered, the registration end date is recorded: 30 June 2023, the last date of enrolment recorded: 30 June 2024 and the last achievement date by the 30 June 2027.

What do stakeholders do? They will continue offering First Aid to their employees – they need to ensure that the Provider are Accredited with a SETA and approved by DoL. Seeing that DoEL will only approve Providers that have obtained accreditation – it makes it easier for Employers, to choose which Providers to use for their First Aid needs.

I truly believe that there are more than enough Accredited and Approved First Aid Training Providers.

On the issue of applications that have been submitted to the QCTO for First Aid as a Skills Programme – I would not know if any applications have been submitted during the past year. There is a backlog currently which are being sorted out.

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Hi Lynel,
    Once again, thank you for your excellent contributionr .

I have had an idea bubbling in my head for some time, and now I am convinced that I am on the right track. I will email you for further discussion – once you have finished your exams.

Good luck – I am sure you will do well :).

Nigel Shipston
    Participant

Hi Sylvia,
    I have posted much on this topic before, but in short, there was a stage from the early 2000’s when DoEL issued First Aid training Approvals to training providers without any prior accreditation. Many of these training providers operated for many years until 2016 when DoEL introduced a regulation requiring all First Aid training providers to be accredited (initially by HWSETA but subsequently amended to include any SETA holding First Aid unit standards within their scope).

The real issue here is that many training providers had during previous years, achieved accreditation with a SETA as well as DoEL Approval. The panic that was unnecessarily raised was from the unaccredited First Aid training providers who had escaped the need to be accredited and subsequently could operate on an unmonitored and uncontrolled basis. Obviously this also meant that their “training fees” would be considerably less than that of an accredited provider who incurred accreditation, moderation and similar QA costs.

In support of Lynel’s contention that all this energy currently being wasted on inconsequential discussions with the Chief Inspector, a single example from TETA shows that they alone carry something like 185 accredited providers for 119567. There are a number of other SETA’s which hold First Aid unit standards within their scope, so it is safe to assume that the number of accredited First Aid training providers numbers in the multiple hundreds. The questions that arise from these numbers are:
    1. Is accreditation so unattainable if so many are already accredited?
    2. What are the numbers of unaccredited providers?

These unaccredited providers have had at least 4 years to attain accreditation, which is ample time. Unfortunately panic mongers elected to attempt to redirect regulations rather than focus on assisting these unaccredited providers achieve accreditation. In the end, it is these improperly informed and improperly guided providers who are now at a critical stage, with the Chief Inspector finally insisting on the deadline without any further extensions, being 31 March 2021.

Whether or when QCTO will have replacement qualifications for these accepted unit standards is actually neither here nor there at present. Ultimately, even with replacement QCTO qualifications, these unaccredited First Aid training providers will still need to be accredited in order to get DoEL Chief Inspector Approval.

The fact that so many training providers have achieved accreditation for First Aid unit standards, some many years before the regulation was issued, is more than enough to support the decision of the Chief Inspector. It is a little disconcerting that “acceptable” industry bodies are being drawn in to these situations with the intent of directing processes for individual’s purposes and not as an interest in the field of First Aid.

It is however, very interesting that, following the publication of the Regulation, one of the original proponents of “deregulation” are now offering accreditation assistance for First Aid training providers. A little too late? Flip-flop? I do recall that a beer was wagered on this one, but I won’t hold my breath!

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Hi Nigel,
    Yes, I can clearly recall you commenting at length on this issue – as has Lynel. I will send you an external email as well.

Now, there are two points leading to two questions:
    * the first point is – Ken Annandale is correct when he says that there are delays in issuing SORs & certificates. I have a client where just one person of a group – dating back to 2017/2018 does not have their certificate – that is a MERSETA incompentence issue.

So the question is: how do all the First Aid providers who are accredited cope? Are there delays in SORs & certification?

* what I have also been trying to understand in this situation, is what is the position of the Association?

So the questions is: What does the association itself stand to gain or lose in this situation?

Viewing 5 posts - 6 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Share on Social Media