Skills Development Providers (SDPs) & Training Providers

First Aid training – DoEL registration – new & existing providers

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

For the attention of: Owners of Approved First Aid Training Organisations.

The Department of Employment and Labour (DoEL) has published the following requirements in terms of the
    Occupational Health and Safety Act 85 of 1993, as amended, read with section 3(4) of the
    General Safety Regulations, 1986.

Regarding the procedure to be approved by the Chief Inspector.

Effective 1 April 2021 – these requirements affect new registrations, and there are also requirements for organisations currently registered with the DoEL.

Please read the attached document to ensure that you comply.
    (I’m still gobsmacked that we are following regulations from 1986 – what year are we in again? 2021 = 35 years)

I have located the Government Gazette, which extends this deadline from 2020 to 1 April 2021, and attached it to this discussion.

Share on Social Media
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Ken Annandale
    Participant

Hi Sylvia,
    Mmmm!
    The ramifications of this appalling decision are unpacked below:

FIRST AID LEVEL 1, 2, AND 3 TRAINING ENDS

In our previous First Aid Update 8, we informed Members that Saiosh had submitted a Section 35 Appeal of the OHS Act (Act 85 of 1993) to the Chief Inspector, Mr. Tibor Szana. Mr. Szana did grant Saiosh, the opportunity to present a final appeal at a meeting held on Friday 26 March 2021 with Senior Members of his Department, Saiosh President, Saiosh CEO and the Chairperson of the Saiosh Health and Safety Training Advisory Committee (SHASTAC).

Saiosh has received no further correspondence from the Chief Inspector and therefore Notice 682 of 2020 came into full effect at midnight on the 31 March 2021, ending nearly three decades of First Aid Level 1, 2, and 3 training in South Africa as approved by Department of Employment and Labour (DEL).

WHAT HAPPENS NOW?
    Training providers that are QCTO / SETA Accredited & DEL Approved will now need to present Unit Standard training only. The following SAQA Unit Standards have been identified to replace the DEL First Aid Level 1, 2, and 3 courses and will be the only first aid training that will be accepted in terms of General Safety Regulation 3.4.:

SAQA US US Title NQF Level Credits
    119567 Perform basic Life Support and first aid procedures 01 5
    120496 Provide risk-based primary emergency care/ first aid in the workplace 02 5
    376480 Provide first aid as an advanced first responder 03 8

THE FOLLOWING MUST BE NOTED:
    Certificate of Competence and Statement of Results
    Quality Assurance Partners (QAPs) as approved by the QCTO, each has its unique accreditation requirements and will guide on how the above unit standards or Skills Programme (combination of Unit Standards) must be presented, assessed, moderated, verified, and finally endorsed. The Certificate of Competency and Statement of Results can only be issued once the entire process has been concluded.

Section 3.4 of the General Safety Regulations places the following responsibility on the employer “Where more than 10 employees are employed at a workplace, ………., at least one person is readily available during normal working hours, who is in possession of a valid certificate of competency in first aid.” A Certificate of Competency and Statement of Results can take months to be issued by the QAPs, Saiosh recommends to Employers, that once a learner has attended Unit Standard First Aid training, a Section 40 Exemption Application to be sent to the Chief Inspector, as the employer will not be able to comply with the requirements of Regulation 3.4. until such time that the Competency Certificate has been issued by the relevant QAP.
    Entrance Requirements
    Each of the Unit Standards has the following entrance requirements:
    • US 119567 – Communication and Mathematical Literacy at ABET Level 3 (Grade 5 equivalent).
    • US 120496 – Communication at ABET Level 4 and Mathematical Literacy at NQF level 1 (Grade 9 equivalent). The learner must have completed US 14656: Demonstrate an understanding of sexuality and sexually transmitted infections including HIV/AIDS (NQF Level 01 | 5 Credits) before attending this US .
    • US 376480 – Communication and Mathematical Literacy at NQF Level 2 (Grade 10 equivalent) The learner must have completed US 120496: Provide risk-based primary emergency care/first aid in the workplace and US 260597: Provide information about HIV and AIDS and treatment options in community care and support situations (NQF Level 03 | 8 Credits) before attending this US.

Duration of training
    The credits for the above unit standards range from 5 – 8 credits (1 credit is equal to 10 notional hours (NH). A NH is defined as a mix of contact time, self-study, assessment both formative and summative, and workplace experience. Thus, to obtain a valid certificate of competency as required by the GSR 3.4 certificate can range from 50 NH for the US 119567 and up to 260 NH for US 376480.

APPLICATION AS A QUALITY ASSURANCE PARTNER (QAP) TO QCTO.
    Saiosh along with Institute for Working at Height (IWH) will continue trying to apply to the QCTO to recognise our proposed OHS regulatory Skills Programmes / Courses along with being a QAP for these programmes, further we are looking at ways to try to address the issuing of Competency Certificates that are endorsed by Saiosh and accepted by DEL as part of the Quality Assurance process.
    Thank you for all the calls and support received from Members and concerned parties.

Graham Pearson
    Chairperson: Saiosh Health and Safety Training Advisory Committee (SHASTAC)

Attachments:
    Lynel Farrell
    Keymaster

Hi Sylvia,

It’s about time! This have been going on for years now. Many Providers that offer First Aid, have ensured that they obtain accreditation (years ago) in order to be Accredited by one of the SETAs as well as being approved by DoEL.

Following all the appeals over the years – the energy used should have been in guiding non-accredited providers in the processes and requirements per SETA in order to obtain accreditation. Having SAQA registered unit standards specifically for First Aid Level 1, 2 and 3 – that have been there for many years – is nothing new – its been there all along. So many Providers have already gone through the accreditation process with one of the SETAs and continue as per normal.

Employers will definitely prefer working with Accredited Providers than non-accredited providers. This will also mean that achieved unit standards for First Aid will now go through the NLRD correctly – pity this was not done from the beginning. Quality Learning Programmes. skills programmes, qualifications linked to the NQF are registered by SAQA, maintained and monitored by CHE, Umalusi and QCTO – which it should be.

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Good morning all and thank you to Ken and Lynel.
    I was not intending to work on skills-universe over the Easter weekend, thinking first that everyone would be off camping somewhere, and secondly, because I have this great workload to catch up on.

But when I saw the Department of Employment and Labour document, I thought that it looked very important and very urgent – but I must stress I really did not understand why – or the background.

I am sure that many members, who are not actively involved in this area will be as puzzled as I was – my new word for skills development is confuzzled. I was confuzzled and had to read both posts more than once – and then Ken’s once more again.

So if I understand correctly, the issue centres upon this issue:
    * there has been a practice of providing First Aid training that is not QCTO/SETA accredited, and therefore
    * the learners not accruing credits, and inclusion on the National Learner Records Database (NLRD).
    *Now the DoEL will only accept QCTO/SETA accredited providers of the NQF level listed unit standard training programmes.

Ken provided details of the unit standards and required entry levels for the learners. So, in order to help myself understand, and make a very clear document – to explain to clients as well as myself, I made the following document – please see attachment.

Please will you check that I have the details correct – this is what the unit standards are, and what the entry level requirements are for each. (Some credits are missing – please advise – I haven’t been to check SAQA.)

Some questions I have please:
    I thought/understood that the new QCTO qualification format does not work with the old unit standard format. Therefore, what is the intention going forward?

Then there is the issue of qualifications and part-qualifications and skills programmes.

Clearly, first aid does not form part of any single qualification – I think the word would be transversal – it bridges an entire range of workplace occupational and qualifications.

So, whither – where are we going?
    * I understood that initially skills programmes were not going to be recognised,
    * then were, but did that mean they were part-qualifications,
    * then there was a time limit of skills programmes of 2 weeks duration.

Please can someone clarify:
    how will these unit standards be accommodated in the new QCTO system?
    Is the first aid is going to be a skills programme/s?

Appreciate all (polite) comments .

Attachments:
    Lynel Farrell
    Keymaster

Hi Sylvia,

The First Aid training issue actually goes back as far as 2016 (I missed a year somewhere, and thought it only started in 2017). There have been so many valuable and interesting discussions over the years on skills universe with notices, amendments, meetings held – it would have been awesome to cluster them all into one folder from the start – to see how this all started and where it is now.

You are correct, for many years a number of providers have been offering First Aid Level 1,2 & 3 whereby they were approved by DoL and not with any SETA.

Again, you are correct. The learners that obtained their First Aid Level 1-3 through unaccredited providers, did not complete the unit standards – although some of the learning material was “aligned to unit standards” but it did not go through the SETAs, and thus did not go through to the NLRD. I did a First Aid Level Course many years ago, received a certificate – the Unit Standard that the course was aligned to was stated on the certificate – but the provider was not accredited by any SETA, I never received a Statement of Results, and it definitely does not reflect on my SAQA NLRD record.

In order to correct this process, Providers offering First Aid, need to obtain Accreditation for the specific unit standards, then submit their proof of accreditation to DoEL in order to be an approved First Aid Training Provider.

Unfortunately, we will never know how many individuals completed the First Aid programmes from unaccredited providers as it was never uploaded to the NLRD – reason: providers need to upload learner information, unit standards on the SETA LMIS system in order to obtain the Statement of results, and this data is uploaded twice a year to the NLRD.

U/S 119 567 (5 credits) – NQF Level 1
    U/S 120 496 (5 credits) – NQF Level 2
    U/S 376 480 (8 credits) – NQF Level 3

Occupational Qualifications, Part Qualifications and Registered Skills Programmes under the QCTO does not work with unit standards, but are formatted in knowledge, practical and workplace experience. So, for First Aid – it would be a Skills Programme that will consist of Knowledge Modules and Practical Modules.

The QCTO have registered Skills Programmes, and they are listed on the QCTO website. In order to register a Skills Programme, an application needs to be submitted to the QCTO. The forms are also published on the website.

Part-Qualifications under the QCTO – very interesting! Some Full Occupational Qualifications includes the part-qualifications already. Some Providers don’t want the full occupational qualification, but a part of it. For instance, we look at the Occupational Qualification: Training and Development Practitioner (SAQA 101321) – some individuals would like to obtain the full occupational qualification – but within this qualification, it breaks down the specific part-qualifications:

Part Qual 1: Learning and Development Facilitator (Credits 36)
    Part Qual 2: Assessment Practitioner (Credits 20)
    Part Qual 3: Skills Development Facilitation Practitioner (Credits 40)
    Part Qual 4: Work Based Learning & Development Practitioner (Credits 30)

The above part-qualifications are seen within the Curriculum Document, and it gives the provider the rules of combination per part-qualification, the purpose, modules that needs to be completed (knowledge modules, practical modules and workplace experience modules – breaking down the credits again for ease of reference.

The QCTO doesn’t give a time limit (number of days required). I have not seen any stipulated requirement on this, but will look for a policy or guideline in this regard.

Legacy Qualifications are now being re-aligned to occupational qualifications. This process breaks down the theory, practical and workplace in a better manner. Each module gives the topics, elements that needs to be covered – this helps in standardising the occupational qualifications.

For First Aid – I would definitely say that it would be a skills programme, with knowledge modules and practical modules. I am not sure if any provider have completed an application to register First Aid as a Skills Programme as yet under the QCTO.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Share on Social Media