Skills Development Providers (SDPs) & Training Providers

Do we need to register to offer short courses?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Lindsay Calder
      Participant

Hi, we are looking to offer short online courses that are non-NQF aligned. I have heard a rumour that all short course providers now need to register with the relevant regulators, where in the past this was not a requirement. Please can someone assist with advice as to the regulations regarding the offering of short non-NQF courses.

Share on Social Media
      Lynel Farrell
      Keymaster

Hi Lindsay, there are lots of rumors in industry.

The registration of accredited providers are compulsory, which is with the DHET. The deadline is 30 November 2018. So, if you are an accredited provider with SETA/QCTO/Umalusi, it is compulsory to apply for registration with the DHET.

If you are a provider, whom are not accredited, and are offering short courses, which is not accredited nor NQF aligned, then the compulsory registration is not for you. If you market your short courses which is not accredited, as accredited, then you will face severe consequences. So when you market your product, you may not make use of the words accredited, credit-bearing or NQF aligned.

I trust this helps.

Share on Social Media
        Tass Schwab
        Participant

I was hoping you would reply Lynel. Thank you!

Share on Social Media
        Lindsay Calder
        Participant

Hi Lynel

Thanks so much for your very helpful response. The short courses would be marketed as short courses, we would not make any claims to any form of accreditation, we are very conscious of the implications to any form of incorrect marketing.

Kind regards
        Lindsay

Share on Social Media
      Lynel Farrell
      Keymaster

Hi Lindsay, you are most welcome. Be careful of the rumors doing the rounds, there are many individuals that are now taking the industry for a ride (in more ways than one).

Share on Social Media
      Lynel Farrell
      Keymaster

Hi Tass, no problem. I am quiet these days. The calls and emails continue coming in with more confusion to providers than anything else I have experienced before. The incorrect information is given to accredited providers on a daily basis. Accredited Providers not taking the compulsory application to register seriously, will be facing severe consequences. Sad to see this is going to fall apart in a couple of months.

Share on Social Media
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Share on Social Media