Skills Development Providers (SDPs) & Training Providers

DEFINE PRODUCTIVITY AND QUALITY – TOTAL PRODUCTIVITY AND QUALITY (TPQ)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Whatever happend to “Quality Circles”? I facilitated the TPQ process in Eskom during the late 80’s early 90’s and they were highly effective in terms of problem solving, closing the gaps bet ween management and workers and improving productivity. Many of the quality circle leaders moved up in their careers and artisans specifically were being recognised as ‘professionals” and invited into the boardrooms. Amazing when one gives someone a “voice” and “recognition” how their commitment and focus to their trade or profession shifts to one of individual responsibility and pride in their work. Does anyone know what has replaced this or what developmental training is on the market for artisans? I would think that Eskom in particular needs to revamp their employees definition and understanding of quality and productivity. It would be interesting to know what your definitions are?

Share on Social Media

Hi Nikki

What great years those were. I think South Africa needs a revamped model in terms of Total Productivity and Quality. Since the changes that started in 90’s there has been no real study in temrs of the impact the changes would have in work productivity. A model that would incoporate the effects of political climate change including all the nice legislations that we have eg PFMA , Skills Development Act and a number of others. They seem to be not effective when they are independently implimented yet they are meant to improve work productivity. I might be wrong but that is what I think.

Themba Mavundhla said:

Hi Nikki

What great years those were. I think South Africa needs a revamped model in terms of Total Productivity and Quality. Since the changes that started in 90’s there has been no real study in temrs of the impact the changes would have in work productivity. A model that would incoporate the effects of political climate change including all the nice legislations that we have eg PFMA , Skills Development Act and a number of others. They seem to be not effective when they are independently implimented yet they are meant to improve work productivity. I might be wrong but that is what I think.

Hello Themba,

Absolutely Themba, the process was so effective. The core focus was on development in terms of recognising that the best person to solve a problem was the person working on the groud, not the person in the boardroom. When the two were put together it was “magic” watching the sharing and the recognition and the realization that no one can work in isolation. My personal opinion is that when we train we are saying “Let me show you exactly what how best to do this, let me make you interdependent so that “WE” can work together, let me also hear your opinion on how you can harness these skills to work towards our common goal, vision ……. Training can only be truly effective if recognition is given – not by the qualification or certificate, but by the recognition and implementation of what was taught.

Quality circle work is great, Nina, I agree! I had a quick google on quality circles and there seems to be work still going on- have a look.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Share on Social Media