Skills Development Providers (SDPs) & Training Providers

Call relevant to all our members – Desmond & Leah Tutu

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

In a time of violence and trauma, “South Africa’s brokenness”, the Desmond and Leah Tutu Legacy Trust Foundation has issued the attached statement.

The statement is of direct and specific relevance to all Skills-universe members – as evidenced in the following quotation:
      “The process should start with the curricula of schools, from pre-school to primary and high school. From there, principles of equality, tolerance and respect should be integrated into compulsory modules at TVET colleges and universities. And the messaging should be reinforced in our communities, organisations, public institutions, at work and at home.
      Prejudice is learned behaviour that can be un-learned. In South Africa, it is a systemic problem requiring systemic solutions.”

Please read the full statement – attached.
      Private providers – you have the power to be part of the solution – this is a call to action.

Share on Social Media
      Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Des Squire
      Participant

They are so right in everything they say. Something also needs to be done to ensure politicians speak honestly, Live honest lives and cease blaming all whites for the legacy of the past. Many whites, myself included, spent all of our lives in South Africa fighting against the colonial past and the apartheid government. Until honesty and integrity prevail and corruption is rooted out we will not have peace in South Africa. It is just such a pity that the majority of the population continue to suppport a corrupt government who care very little for the majority of our fellow countrymen and do little to improve their lot in life.

Share on Social Media
      sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

Des, thank you.
      I understand what you say about those of us who never agreed, and tried to fight in our own ways.

However, I suggest that it is still necessary to understand – and acknowledge – the hurt, the harm, the damage, that has been caused by the past.

It is not just apartheid – it is much more than that. It is the years of colonialism, that treated the population as inferior – that actually is all of us.

We can’t just say: Ok – done and dusted – new page.

We do need to acknowledge the damage – the “brokennness” is a very good word.

That is not in any way to condone corruption, nepotism, incompetence, and maladministration. It is part of the “bronkenness”.

Skills-universe members are all involved in some way – in educating, training, skills development – collectively we do have the capacity to make a difference – to repair – but we need to work together.

As the Tutu foundation suggests to support “un-learning” of prejudice.

Share on Social Media
      Des Squire
      Participant

Hi Sylvia
      I agree 100% and trust we can all play our little part in bringing people together. This is now the time for all people of all colours and creeds to get together and to start working positively for a better South Africa for all. Let us pray from today, as requested yesterday by the President, for an end to violance, ill feeling, corruption (and the hurt that still exists) and the many other evils that permeate our society and our country.

Share on Social Media
      sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

Des,
      My reflections:
      – co-incidentally this is happening during the Department of Education and Labour roadshows on Employment Equity implementation.

– no other members have found the time to comment.

Share on Social Media
      Mafata Tsiame
      Participant

The global community speaks of “Greening the world” that is the call for reversal of man-made destruction on the planet Earth.

If one thinks he/she has a right than others on this planet then it will be a neat chance to apply the American philosophy “eliminate the rotten potato among the good ones”

I always attest to significant conversation and discussion before impelling measures.

We are ALL children of this Universe; we all have a right to be here!

As a lecturer in a Teacher Training Institution I always start my lectures and sing together with my trainees “DESIDERATA You are A Child of the Universe – original version – it is a poem” and end my lectures singing with my trainees “Children live what they learn -it is also a poem”. These two songs (poems) are available in Youtube; download them and start singing them with your family and friends.

If you need assistance with having them send me a note I will assist.

Share on Social Media
        sylvia hammond
        Keymaster

Dear Mafata,
        Thank you for the posting – and yes, teachers are the central players in bringing up a new generation. It is why I posted this discussion in the skills development and training providers group – they can make the difference.

Share on Social Media
      Des Squire
      Participant

I like your reflections and in particular the comment on lack of response from members. Do you not find this happening with many discussions? Not like the old discussions where we had such amazing participation and debate.

Share on Social Media
      sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

Des, yes the site has changed in culture completely.

I don’t know whether this is an old-fashioned idea, but I have believed that one of the central concepts of a professional – in whatever field – is that they give back to their community – not just engage for their own benefit. For example, the SASLAW lawyers, who commit to a certain amount of hours for pro bono work.

One response I have considered – if our members don’t want to contribute to my posts – is to turn my posts into an Editorial. I have been contemplating an Editorial section. I do have some things to say ….. 🙂

Share on Social Media
      Des Squire
      Participant

An editorial and/or discussion post may get things moving again. Something I feel is missing, that we had on the old site that draws attention to discussions.

Share on Social Media
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Share on Social Media