RPL, the NQF, and Articulation

What is the ruling regarding granting access to learners?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Hello All

I would like specific information on entry requirements for short skills programmes that are Unit Standard based as well as longer Learning Programmes that contain a number of Unit Standards please.

I understand that the entry requirements as stipulated are essentially in place to ensure that learners are not placed in a situation where they will struggle with absorbing concepts at a particular level because they lack the verifyable proof that they have the fundamentals of that concept in place.

This then means that often a US or Qualification at NQF 5 will require that a learner have competence in the related field or fundamental competencies at an NQF 3 or 4.

But the problem becomes then what happens to the learner that didn’t do/pass matric but has been employed for a number of years where the fundamentals or related concepts can be assumed to have been honed (supervisory skills, management skills, communication, mathematical literacy, computer skills, etc.). It is my opinion that to exclude the learner on that defies the fundamental tennets of the NQF and the new QCTO.

Requesting the learner provide you with a CV with or without certificates (which they may not have because the employers did not help them in formal development and everything they have learnt they have learnt by accident), is either insufficient proof of competency, or inadmissable because the person “checking” it is not a registered RPL assessor.

I am aware of the red-tape surrounding RPL and the confusion in its application and registered RPL centres are every few and far between.

What do you do then?

Share on Social Media

Hello Celeste, an aptitude test should suffice. Having insituted numerous learnerships over the past 12 years, particularly with WRSETA, we have often been faced with similar situations, which have mostly been resolved by the very good assessment tool offered by that seta. It is effectively a questionnaire with written and oral components, graduating to higher NQF levels as the learner progresses through the process. In most cases it works very well if applied properly. 

Sadly, I have recently been facilitating a level 4 generic management learnership for a provider who seemed more interested in getting numbers enrolled rather than ensuring the youngsters have the opportunity to become competent. Many never did and and many were involved in their first learning exerience since leaving school and having NO previous workplace experience – and the provider was smugly preparing them to become generic managers in the field of administration. It was very frustrating and a situation in which I will never again allow myself to be put.

Try WRSETA, they’re very good and very helpful. Their ‘pre-assessment’ tool may help you. Best wishes, Kevin.

Share on Social Media

Thank you so much Kevin!

I will definitely try that. It is rather sad that you had that experience, but that is unfortunately the natutre of the beast we all have to deal with.

Share on Social Media
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Share on Social Media