RPL, the NQF, and Articulation

Purpose of the NQF

Viewing 4 posts - 36 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Wilma de Villiers
    Participant

Is there any body that knows if any specific research was done on the impact that the NQF had (has) on South Africa’s economy?

Jo informed me about the SAQA bulletin Volume 12 Nr 2, but I am looking for more information on how the NQF contributes or have an influence on the economy.

I want to advise all of you to look at the link: http://www.saqa.org.za/docs/pubs/bulletins/bullvol12_2.pdf 

This is an extremely informative document.  I must warn you – it is a lot of reading, but worthwhile taking the time to look at this.

Des Squire
    Participant

Hi Wilma

have a look at http://www.saqa.org.za/docs/reports/impactreport/cycle2/chapter5.pdf

Wilma said:

Is there any body that knows if any specific research was done on the impact that the NQF had (has) on South Africa’s economy?

Jo informed me about the SAQA bulletin Volume 12 Nr 2, but I am looking for more information on how the NQF contributes or have an influence on the economy.

I want to advise all of you to look at the link: http://www.saqa.org.za/docs/pubs/bulletins/bullvol12_2.pdf 

This is an extremely informative document.  I must warn you – it is a lot of reading, but worthwhile taking the time to look at this.

And now the Green Paper is proposing to take away all the levels (I always see a thin whisp of smoke as a fire!)!  How on earth will one ever know what the qualification’s equivalent is for transferability/portability/mobility purposes if that ever happens?  However, I do agree with Joe Samuels that the NQF has progressed and a lot has been done (I’m still battling to come to terms with 10 levels, when the framework in the whole of Europe is only 8).  I also agree that post-1994 it was essential to adapt to new circumstances.  Change is always painful if there is not buy-in and for that, we needed a lot of guidance and good leadership.  What we keep doing wrong though, is this urge to continually re-develop and reinvent ourselves.  Let us now settle and work with what we have till we have perfected it.  It is true that people respond to things that are familiar and hence therir preference for qualifications termed diploma and certificate.  But, they are getting used to levels now.  We also need more advocacy – if the public is not informed, it will not understand and there will be continued resistance.  We all need to play a role in this – explaining and advocating the benefits in the face of employers resisting change. 

Wilma de Villiers
    Participant

Dear Fellow-SU’s

(Will have to add this acronym to the acronym-group!)

I had to do a task on the NQF in different countries and all the responses to my blog assisted me – thanks to every one, although you did not even realize that you were helping me.

A special thanks to Joe for giving me the link to the SAQA bulletin. 

Currently I am doing another task which links to the green paper and the discussions/ comments around this is also contributing to my work.

Regards, Wilma

Viewing 4 posts - 36 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Share on Social Media