RPL, the NQF, and Articulation

Purpose of the NQF

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author

Francois Alberts said:

Wilma I totally agree. However “reply on discussions” does not allow sufficient space to expand on the short falls. According to a commentator the situation before 1994 was in a bad state and has now improved: 17 departments have been reduced to 10 levels but to me the same level of said confusion that existed pre 1994 is still existent to date.

Iwas a national examiner for 13 “light current” subjects (3 examinations per year) for a period of 15 years. The same examination paper was written by Dept Nat. Education, Dept Black education, Department Indian Education and Dept Coloured Education at the rate of around 2700 scripts per session. Average pass rate of the 4 leading departments was 72.53%. All who passed qualified at N2, N3, N4, N5 or N6 levels. This was a qualification recognised and accepted by everyone concerned and was not debated.

Seta roadshows all end up with comments  “nice show”, “good food”, “we will implementing…” and all go home to carry on with daily tasks and no further action. The “tomorrows” are going to be very busy days

Unless all those concerned with Education, Training and NQF reach concensus on what needs to be done in this country based on a clearly defined understanding of what the three terms “Training” “Education” and “Development” mean confusion and extremley slow progress (which cannot be afforded) will remain.

Joe Samuels
    Participant

It is simply unwise to import a system from elsewhere, particularly education and training systems. There are many good examples of where this was tried it failed dismally.The majority of business people I speak to supports the NQF. I agree that there must be support for learners in the workplace otherwise learnerships will not work. We run learnerships in our organisation and some of our learnership candidates have progressed to the level of deputy director with proper support. I still hold the view that there is ample research that was done for example SAQA organised a series of NQF conferences over the last number of years – all of these papers are available.  I agree that much more work should be done!

Universities as a system has bought into the NQF as evidenced by the higher education qualifications framework which is an integral part of the NQF. Universities has an constitutional right to acedmic freedom and autonomy which allows them to decide who they want to allow into their institutions. I will be happy to take up the specific issue that you are raising please email me the details at jsamuels@saqa.co.za or you can phone our helpline at 0860 111 673.

My understanding is that lots of work has been done to determine training needs, as well as that there are standards for conflict resolution. Bad practice does not necessarily point to bad training or no standards. Please contact me around the specifics with regards to the conflict resolution unit standards. (See contact details above)

I said that we had “17 racially divided education departments and training was separate. We now have one framework of qualifications”. I am still amazed that we have individuals who try and tell us how good it was in the past. I respectfully disagree with you!    We can certainly be more effective and efficent so this is a point well made.

Wilma de Villiers
    Participant

I am overwhelmed by all the responses to my blog about the NQF.  I am currently busy with my masters in ‘Adult Education & Globalisation”.  My next task is focusing on the NQF’s of SA, NZeeland and Canada.  All your responses provided me with valuable information and also different view points.

At this stage I am not even sure if Canada has a NQF. 

Regards, Wilma

Joe Samuels
    Participant

Canada does not have an NQF yet! Try Mexico!

Wilma de Villiers
    Participant

Thanks, Joe. 

I’ve seen they have a quality management system.  I read an article on  the NQF’s in 16 countries, but according to that article Mexico does not have a NQF.  They have many years experience in the development of a Labour Competence Framework which shares aims and characteristics with many NQF’s. 

I also read that there is about a 100 countries that implemented or are trying to implement a NQF.

I believe that all the training providers and quality assurance bodies in a country should work together and determine one NQF.

Before starting with this process, first do proper research to find out what went wrong with the previous/ current NQF’s.

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Share on Social Media