RPL, the NQF, and Articulation

Assessement versus recognition

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Wilma de Villiers
    Participant

At a meeting last week one of the speakers told us that she was informed that ‘recognition of prior learning’ (RPL) was replaced with ‘assessment of prior learning’ (APL).

If it is true, it is a positive change.  Many people misunderstood the concept of RPL.  There was a perception that you could go to a training provider and your years of experience will allow you to be RPL’ed and then receive a certificate.  Some people could not understand that there should be evidence and that the evidence needs to be assessed.

Replacing ‘recognition’ with ‘assessment’ immediately inform one that assessment must first take place before recognition can be given.

Share on Social Media
    Joe Samuels
    Participant

Dear Wilma

I don’t know where this speaker is getting her information from. The Minister has appointed a Ministerial Task Team on RPL. I sit on this committee. SAQA’s responsibility is the development of policy on RPL. There is simply no talk about the changing the term!

Regards

Joe

Wilma de Villiers
    Participant

I am trying to find out the source of the information.  It seems as if it is coming from the universities.  As soon as I know I will post a comment here.

As I’ve said, I actually think that it will be a good idea to change it to ASSESSMENT.  People do not realize that assessment has to take place and that evidence need to be provided.

Is there maybe a Skills Universe member that is attached to an university that knows any thing about this?

I am involved in assessor training and want to be up to date with assessment-related matters.

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Hi Wilma, Following Joe’s comment, I would agree that there is no reason to change the use of the term RPL.  My concern is that we keep changing things rather than putting our efforts into implementing what we’ve laid out.  I understand that not everyone is clear on what RPL means in practice, but that could be remedied by making clear what is involved, and how it is achieved.  I wonder whether simply adding “by assessment” after the use of RPL might not help.  So it would always be RPL by assessment. Do you think that would make a difference?

Joe Samuels
    Participant

Hi Wilma

There are different forms of RPL – it is our collective responsibility to inform the public about its correct meaning. From SAQA’s side we will redouble our efforts to educate people about what is meant by RPL.

Regards

Joe

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Share on Social Media