Skills Development Facilitators (SDF)

Is it necessary to be re-trainined regularly even though you are qualified

This topic contains 41 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Skills Universe 2 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

I would love to hear your opinions on the topic of re-training?

Here’s some food for thought:- If you are qualified as a doctor,mechanic, surgeon, lawyer, tea maker, driver, whatever – is it necessary to be retrained on the very things for which you are qualified on an ongoing basis? Does this not defeat the purpose of qualification and outcomes based education?

More specifically – as a driver – if you have a license and practice this skill every single day – is it necessary to retrain this very skill on an ongoing basis? Granted, one get’s lazy and we pick up bad habits (oh yes you do….) but then shouldn’t that be a performance management issue and not a training issue?

Let me know what you think?

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

RE-Training
    Hi tricia
    I think it can be refered as upgrading yes they all went through that some time it just to keep on your toes ,, remember unit standard change every time
    IIi

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

RE-Training
    Hi tricia
    I think it can be refered as upgrading yes they all went through that some time it just to keep on your toes ,, remember unit standard change every time
    IIi

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

RE-Training
    Hi tricia
    IIi

Share on Social Media

Hi Mmule,

I hear you… but in my mind upskilling one’s self on new additions, methods or processes is different to complete retraining?

mmule wilhemina sefara said:

RE-Training
    Hi tricia
    I think it can be refered as upgrading yes they all went throuh that some time it just to keep on your toes ,, remember unit standard change every time
    IIi
    Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

This is a very interesting discussion. I have been training staff on the SAP System in Local Government and it seem that if people do not or is not able to apply what they have been trained on they intend to forget the processes. Those that are able to practice what they have been trained on has been flourishing in their work.

Retraining is necessary is when the outcomes of a performance evaluation determines that the employee needs to improve his/her skills, even if he/she has received training prior to the appointment to a new position.

The problem that I have is that a a lot of Managers in Local Government send their staff for a training course or retraining which is not even related to the work that they are doing in the workplace.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

This is a very interesting discussion. I have been training staff on the SAP System in Local Government and it seem that if people do not or is not able to apply what they have been trained on they intend to forget the processes. Those that are able to practice what they have been trained on has been flourishing in their work.

Retraining is necessary is when the outcomes of a performance evaluation determines that the employee needs to improve his/her skills, even if he/she has received training prior to the appointment to a new position.

The problem that I have is that a a lot of Managers in Local Government send their staff for a training course or retraining which is not even related to the work that they are doing in the workplace.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Share on Social Media

Hi

I agree with Griffith, most companies spend a lot of money on training, but that training is not for a purpose. Employees just demand to be sent on training, they will not benefit from and implement what they learnt back at work.

Secondly, hence we have what we call Refresher training, in cases where someone has been off work for a certain period, chances are they might have forgotten some stuff.

Share on Social Media

Tricia

The mining industry is guided by the Mine Health and Safety Act. I believe to some extend re training is conducted to comply to section 10 of the act. I would venture to say that we use the refresher and retaining processes as a means of justifying the training functions role. Maybe if we apply our minds we could really add value through a different service offering. One suggestion is to integrate safety and training at specific levels, e.g. the Safety Officer could also perform the role of an Assessor.

Another alternative is to formalize on the job coaching (line mangers role) and use a tool such as a PTO (planned task observation) as proof of competency applied.

Has any mining operation implemented the PTO as an alternative to the skill refresher/re training process?

Share on Social Media

Hi Lenn,

Thanks for your input! I love the way you think! At the end of the day – it really is about how to increase value add and in my most humble opinion – I’m not entirely convinced that re-training does that – apart from a compliance perspective!

I think you’ve raised a great point – does PTO and coaching qualify as compliance in terms of the Health and Safety Act?

Lenn van Niekerk said:

Tricia

The mining industry is guided by the Mine Health and Safety Act. I believe to some extend re training is conducted to comply to section 10 of the act. I would venture to say that we use the refresher and retaining processes as a means of justifying the training functions role. Maybe if we apply our minds we could really add value through a different service offering. One suggestion is to integrate safety and training at specific levels, e.g. the Safety Officer could also perform the role of an Assessor.

Another alternative is to formalize on the job coaching (line mangers role) and use a tool such as a PTO (planned task observation) as proof of competency applied.

Has any mining operation implemented the PTO as an alternative to the skill refresher/re training process?

Share on Social Media

Re-training no, refresher training on certain aspects where technological, industry or other changes have taken place – yes. Once you have a piece of paper that proves that you have the qualifications to do a certain job you should have the capability to do it.
    Performance management should pick up on issues where laziness and bad habits have taken over and this then would require further action like counselling and coaching on these specifics.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

As a Professional e.g. Doctor, Lawyer, Accountant, Engineer, part of maintaining your professional status is Continuous Professional development (CPD). Can you imagine going to a doctor who qualified in 1950, and has never updated his/her skills?
    Maybe we should be required to retake our drivers licenses to make sure that our skills are as they should be, but given that it took me almost three hours standing in line just to renew my card, I don’t think we could make this work. Perhaps the Points system will be a Perfromance Management system, but of course it will have no effect on those who have no driver’s license in the first place.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

As a Professional e.g. Doctor, Lawyer, Accountant, Engineer, part of maintaining your professional status is Continuous Professional development (CPD). Can you imagine going to a doctor who qualified in 1950, and has never updated his/her skills?
    Maybe we should be required to retake our drivers licenses to make sure that our skills are as they should be, but given that it took me almost three hours standing in line just to renew my card, I don’t think we could make this work. Perhaps the Points system will be a Perfromance Management system, but of course it will have no effect on those who have no driver’s license in the first place.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Share on Social Media

Reply by Kobus Verreynne: I qualified as an artisan fitter & turner in the mid 1970’s. For the past 20 + years, I am not practicing as an artisan. I am confident that I still know how to operate a lath, but I definitetly require re-tarining or induction training before I will be able to function effectively and productive. If you are not practicing your skills, you are loosing it. For continual improvement which everyone should strive for is re-training essential.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Skills obsolescence, passive decay [of knowledge that is not used] and the implotion of new practices make re-training a must for all categories of employees. Re-training is also necessary for reflective practice and improvement in job performance.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Skills obsolescence, passive decay [of knowledge that is not used] and the implotion of new practices make re-training a must for all categories of employees. Re-training is also necessary for reflective practice and improvement in job performance.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Hi Tricia

In my humble opinion, I feel that it is very necessary for staff, to stay on top of your game. All the time, things change and new ideas and ways come into your sphere of expertise. Whether we look at training as a refresher course or a conference on the topics, it always helps a person to better your skills and increase your knowledge. For a driver, we booked them on an advanced driving skills course, which prepare them for driving a bad weather, slippery roads or what to do in case of a hi-jacking, so yes, again they learn new skills than just every-day driving. I have also arranged for our drivers customer service training especially customised for drivers, to teach them how to meet and greet people on the airport, dealing with their luggage, opening the door, etc – almost like the skills of a chaffeur. So, I believe, there is always room for improvement. Upskilling ourselves, might also be seen as multi-skilling and learning other skills which may enhance our service delivery.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Hi Tricia

In my humble opinion, I feel that it is very necessary for staff, to stay on top of your game. All the time, things change and new ideas and ways come into your sphere of expertise. Whether we look at training as a refresher course or a conference on the topics, it always helps a person to better your skills and increase your knowledge. For a driver, we booked them on an advanced driving skills course, which prepare them for driving a bad weather, slippery roads or what to do in case of a hi-jacking, so yes, again they learn new skills than just every-day driving. I have also arranged for our drivers customer service training especially customised for drivers, to teach them how to meet and greet people on the airport, dealing with their luggage, opening the door, etc – almost like the skills of a chaffeur. So, I believe, there is always room for improvement. Upskilling ourselves, might also be seen as multi-skilling and learning other skills which may enhance our service delivery.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Hi Tricia

Share on Social Media

In Continuous Training or Lifelong Training, each employee should be assessed frequently, gaps identified, Specific Gaps Elimination Programme SGEP developed, employee re-trained, re-assessed, re-verified and proved to be Competent against well-accepted Competency Standards (Levels) and provided Evidences of performance. In this professional approach, the gaps of the employee are closed and eliminated.

Eng. Moustafa Wahba

Competency Assurance & TVET Consultant

Share on Social Media

Thank you all for your valuable input into this discussion! I think it’s save to summarise then that under certain circumstances and in certain instances re-training is necessary. However, their may also be other alternatives, such as coaching, CPD and planned task observations which could also serve the purpose of continuos skill improvment.

Share on Social Media

Dear Tricia, One of the principles of Assessment is Currency. Competency must be current to be valid. Thus if a person is qualified in an area and is currently working in that area, then retraining is unnecessary (unless the duties of the job change and member has to be trained in another aspect of his overall job). If a person is qualified in a certain area but has not been working in that industry (say) for a lengthy period (?specifics) then the competencies might not be current and thus retraining might be necessary. But it might not be necessary if person can prove current competency (“RPL” but really “RCC”) by knowledge/challenge test/demonstration etc. This is called Recognition of Current Competences (RCC) which focuses on current competences rather than previous experience or achievement (RPL).

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Hi Tricia

This raises the question of continuous learning. The first person you mention is a doctor. I would hate to be treated by a doctor who qualified even 5 years ago and has not stayed abreast with the latest technology! I don’t think it is so much “re-training” as keeping skills and knowledge current so that an individual CAN perform well and optimises productivity.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Hi Tricia

This raises the question of continuous learning. The first person you mention is a doctor. I would hate to be treated by a doctor who qualified even 5 years ago and has not stayed abreast with the latest technology! I don’t think it is so much “re-training” as keeping skills and knowledge current so that an individual CAN perform well and optimises productivity.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Hi Tricia

Share on Social Media

Thanks John, makes heaps of sense and sounds quite practical! I imagine it would need a whole policy and procedural change in terms of internal pratices regarding training and development.

John Ward said:

Dear Tricia, One of the principles of Assessment is Currency. Competency must be current to be valid. Thus if a person is qualified in an area and is currently working in that area, then retraining is unnecessary (unless the duties of the job change and member has to be trained in another aspect of his overall job). If a person is qualified in a certain area but has not been working in that industry (say) for a lengthy period (?specifics) then the competencies might not be current and thus retraining might be necessary. But it might not be necessary if person can prove current competency (“RPL” but really “RCC”) by knowledge/challenge test/demonstration etc. This is called Recognition of Current Competences (RCC) which focuses on current competences rather than previous experience or achievement (RPL).

1. Procedures need to be developed for RPL and RCC.
    2. Staff need to be specially trained and given time to make judgements on RPL and RCC.
    3. Staff need specific guidelines, established processes and clear criteria to be fair.

Learners may have to undergo challenge testing in order to demonstrate competence.
    The process is similar to a selection interview where trainers make decisions on an applicant’s competence.
    Procedures for RPL and RCC would normally occur before an individual attempts a module.
    A learner may approach a college and suggest that he already knows a particular module, on which he can then be tested.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

I still believe that re-training is go back to basic and refresh our self about principles and code’s of conducts that is around practices in our respective profession. e.g Human Resources need to remember Labour relation act especially Schedule 8. Code of good practice.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

I still believe that re-training is go back to basic and refresh our self about principles and code’s of conducts that is around practices in our respective profession. e.g Human Resources need to remember Labour relation act especially Schedule 8. Code of good practice.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

I think that it is most definitely important to be re-trained regularly. We operate in environments that need continuous development to survive in today’s market. The training has to be aligned with what your organization offers. In Technology, for instance, there are new inventions almost every second. The training field as well focuses on continuous developments, therefore employees skills have to be updated regularly (even those with qualifications).

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

I think that it is most definitely important to be re-trained regularly. We operate in environments that need continuous development to survive in today’s market. The training has to be aligned with what your organization offers. In Technology, for instance, there are new inventions almost every second. The training field as well focuses on continuous developments, therefore employees skills have to be updated regularly (even those with qualifications).

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Continues Professional Development is a critical business need and if you want to stay competative you have to ensure you are well versed and up to date. We compete on the Global Market and if your skills are not in relation to the vocational requirements you will be outdated and there is a huge difference between experienced express as 10 years or is it 1 year of experience repeated 10 times. Also consider the following: A student studying IT for 4 years, by the time they get to the 3rd year there 1st year is outdated……again continuous professional development.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Continues Professional Development is a critical business need and if you want to stay competative you have to ensure you are well versed and up to date. We compete on the Global Market and if your skills are not in relation to the vocational requirements you will be outdated and there is a huge difference between experienced express as 10 years or is it 1 year of experience repeated 10 times. Also consider the following: A student studying IT for 4 years, by the time they get to the 3rd year there 1st year is outdated……again continuous professional development.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Yep!!! you better believe it!!! RETRAINING IS NECESSARY REGARDLESS OF QUALIFICATION. What universities and institutions omit to tell us is that our degrees and certificates will over time become obsolete…why else dose a PHD have to publish regularly….Development is a life long calling. whether its by design or by accident it is going to happen and should happen. we live in an ever changing world particularly now in a world of techno-gizmos where you are only as current as the gizmo you are holding in the store at the time. we all know that by the time you have bought and delivered your new laptop home its now old news and the latest one is already either in production or on its way to the store shelves. CHANGE is the order of the day. Doctors more than any other demographic need continual development. years ago you knew that a person had had an operation because of unsightly scars all over them today you can hardly tell and people are actually indulging in cosmetic surgery. Don’t forget we are still looking for a cure for both cancer and HIV. As a learning and development professional I also need continual development in a bid to find the best ways to help learners maximise their potential and perhaps keep them engaged enough so that they practice their skills in search of augmentation to them by alternative means….whatever the case you never stop learning until you are 6 feet under. I also find the best lessons are those of life and the ones I get from my daughter…how quaint but true!!

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Yep!!! you better believe it!!! RETRAINING IS NECESSARY REGARDLESS OF QUALIFICATION. What universities and institutions omit to tell us is that our degrees and certificates will over time become obsolete…why else dose a PHD have to publish regularly….Development is a life long calling. whether its by design or by accident it is going to happen and should happen. we live in an ever changing world particularly now in a world of techno-gizmos where you are only as current as the gizmo you are holding in the store at the time. we all know that by the time you have bought and delivered your new laptop home its now old news and the latest one is already either in production or on its way to the store shelves. CHANGE is the order of the day. Doctors more than any other demographic need continual development. years ago you knew that a person had had an operation because of unsightly scars all over them today you can hardly tell and people are actually indulging in cosmetic surgery. Don’t forget we are still looking for a cure for both cancer and HIV. As a learning and development professional I also need continual development in a bid to find the best ways to help learners maximise their potential and perhaps keep them engaged enough so that they practice their skills in search of augmentation to them by alternative means….whatever the case you never stop learning until you are 6 feet under. I also find the best lessons are those of life and the ones I get from my daughter…how quaint but true!!

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Share on Social Media

Dr. Chris van Zyl
    Participant

In a rapidly changing business environment, re-training in order to re-contextualise and update should be the order of the day. There is nothing wrong with the concept of re-training. Professionals in the medical industry are required to attend a certain number of “fucntions” (they must provide proof to the HPCSA of this) in order to remain “contemporary” in their respective diciplines. This despite the fact that these professionals are all qualified in one or another field.

Re-training on top of a qualification should therefore add value rather than to be repetitive in nature.

Share on Social Media

Tebogo this is to say i disagree with the fact that employees demand to be taken to training on something non beficial to them.I know one person who actually worked at one of the biggest municipalities in Gauteng and she was forced to go to Excel training so that she can be upgraded but they dont use that excel at all.It was only used as as a stumbling block for those who are capable.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Hi,

I think re-training is important in companies/departments only if the training is based on what they are doing and what they are suppossed to do at work. It is also important for companies to retrain their employees regrading the products or the services that the company is offering so that they(employees) do not give wrong information to their clients. This will also help the company – HR officers to check the lacking skills on their employees.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Hi,

I think re-training is important in companies/departments only if the training is based on what they are doing and what they are suppossed to do at work. It is also important for companies to retrain their employees regrading the products or the services that the company is offering so that they(employees) do not give wrong information to their clients. This will also help the company – HR officers to check the lacking skills on their employees.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Hi,

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Hi Tricia,
    It does sound ridiculous to be retrained after spending years to be trained, however our learning spans many years and the scope of what we learn can be very in depth and wide.In many instances our working environment does not provide the opportunity to practice all our skills and all that we learn all the time.

Thus, refresher programs are necessary to help us remember finer details, also to keep us informed of current technology, legislation and other changes or improvements that may have taken place.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Hi Tricia,
    It does sound ridiculous to be retrained after spending years to be trained, however our learning spans many years and the scope of what we learn can be very in depth and wide.In many instances our working environment does not provide the opportunity to practice all our skills and all that we learn all the time.

Thus, refresher programs are necessary to help us remember finer details, also to keep us informed of current technology, legislation and other changes or improvements that may have taken place.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Hi Tricia,

Share on Social Media

Thank you all for your overwhelming feedback! Some really great points and suggestions…

Share on Social Media

Annel Strydom
    Participant

I think if you attended accredited training aligned to a unit standard, you must keep an eye out for reviewed unit standards – if they updated the unit standard there is obviously something that the SGB felt like adding to the standard…then I would just feel better about my own knowledge/skills if I went for a ‘refresher’ or ‘updater’ course on the changes they made?

Share on Social Media

To get the full benfit of this healthy and lengthy discussin we should end with a procedure for RE-TRIAINING if we are conviced thar re-training is a must.

Within the field of Technical and Vocational Education and Training TVET, Re-training is very important loop in the Training Matrix (Training Lifecycle). The Process Flowchart of such matrix is summarized in the following milestone activities:

1. Training Needs Analysis TNA
    2. Job / Occupation Analysis
    3. Identification of Competencies
    4. Competency Development Framework
    5. Selection of Critical Tasks
    6. Development of Curriculum and Training Programmes
    7. Learning, Training and Collecting Evidences
    8. Assessment & Verification
    9. Gaps Analysis & Specific Gaps Elimination Programme SGEP
    10. Retraining

In general if the worker / trainee proved to have no gaps, he / she is considered to be ‘Competent’ and should be certified and fill in the established Target Post.

If the worker / trainee exceed the number of gaps allowed by the Performance Criteria, he / she should be redeployed or his services terminated.

If the worker / trainee have gaps more than the ones allowed by the Performance Criteria, he / she is considered as ‘Not Yet Competent’ and should be retrained by analysing of his / her gaps, developing what is known as Specific Gaps Elimination Programme SGEP and re-trained to eliminate and close his gaps.

Retraining

The ‘Not Yet Competent’ worker / trainee is to be re-trained according to his / her SGEP and to be followed by a second assessment, verification and evaluation of results. If gaps are closed and eliminated, he / she is considered to be ‘Competent’ and should be certified and fill in the established Target Post.

If gaps still exist, a Gap Analysis is carried out, second SGEP is developed, re-training is conducted, and third assessment and verification carried out and evaluated. Based on the assessment, if gaps are closed and eliminated, he / she is considered to be ‘Competent’ and should be certified and fill in the established Target Post. If gaps still exist, he / she should be redeployed or his services terminated.

Eng. Moustafa Wahba

Competency Assurance & TVET Consultant

Mmm_wahba@hotmail.com

Share on Social Media

Ashwell Glasson
    Participant

Dear Tricia,

As all aspects of life and the working world shift, new requirements and areas of knowledge arise in response. Hence the need for both re-training and up-skilling in both your core expertise as well as related areas. Much of this may be a revised version of what you are already qualified in and most importantly competent at.

Continuimh Professional development (CPD) strategies play a significant role here, refining and growing your capabilities and core skills. Re-training should build upon and not supplant your entire competency foundation, unless of course there has been a radical sector or professional overhaul, which may have made your previous core skills redundant. That is very rare though, not commonly experienced. The key question I would pose is. Why are you exercising the decision to re-train? Is it for compliance purposes? In response to a legal requirement or perhaps there might be a limit or threshold related to your qualification that requires re-certification?

Those might be some of the issues around re-training. I also think that at a definition level, there might be some very different interpretations as to what re-training might mean to different rle-players.

Regards
    Ashwell

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media