Post-school Education & Training – including TVET

Deputy President Ramaphosa responds in Parliament on the TVET college adoption programme

This topic contains 1 reply, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  tommy john salem 2 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

To all skills-universe members: the following question was one of a number posed to Deputy President Ramaphosa.  As the response indicates, we all need to work together and the results will affect all of us in some way or another.

So please give your response:- are you or your company involved in the initiatives detailed here?  Please give us feedback on your experiences.

Question 1 

With reference to the National Development Plan’s emphasis that the need for a strong relationship between the technical and vocational education and training colleges and industry to (a) improve the quality of training, (b) ensure faster absorption of graduates in the job market and (c) assist with determining the skills demands that exist in the labour market, what measures are in place to ensure that these partnerships materialise and are sustained?

Reply by Deputy President Ramaphosa:

Honourable Members,

Government has prioritised the expansion and development of TVET colleges as a cornerstone of the national effort to meet our human resource needs.  Providing our people with skills that are relevant and meaningful is a national priority. This we do to enable them to find employment and expand their opportunities.

There is a strong link between the quality of teaching in TVET colleges and the development of skills suitable for the demands of the job market.  Many of our universities are developing qualifications for TVET lecturers.

The Department of Higher Education and Training is focusing more on improving performance management and professional development of TVET lecturers.  To ensure lecturers are kept abreast with latest trends in industry, a project has been launched through the Education, Training and Development Practices SETA to place lecturers in industry.

This project was initiated in five TVET colleges and is expanding on an annual basis. The Department of Higher Education and Training has been running a campaign to encourage the recruitment by industry of TVET college graduates.

Students are assisted to obtain internships through Work Integrated Learning, which is done in collaboration with a number of SETAs.  To align the work of TVET colleges with the needs of industry more directly – and to ensure that industry expertise and resources are being used in colleges – the Human Resource Development Council is piloting a TVET adoption programme.

This programme encourages companies and industry bodies to form adoption partnerships with TVET colleges to assist colleges to improve their training programmes. These adoption partnerships will assist in addressing challenges of poor administration, management, governance and infrastructure.

We expect that companies that adopt TVET colleges in areas near their operations will provide students with practical learning opportunities.  They will also help to develop teaching-learning material and build the institutional management capacity of TVET colleges.

These colleges will then have a greater chance of producing graduates that have the relevant skills that the labour market will be able to absorb.  We call on companies across all sectors of the economy to see TVET colleges as a source of well-trained graduates.  TVET colleges are the institutions that will produce the employees of tomorrow.

They are critical to the growth of businesses and the further development of key sectors of the economy.  It is essential therefore that we work together – government, business and other stakeholders – to improve the scale, quality and relevance of our TVET college system.

I thank you.

Circulated to: ALL MEDIA

ATTENTION: NEWS EDITORS/POLITICAL CORRESPONDENTS

DATE: 12 AUGUST 2015

Share on Social Media

Comment: TVET colleges as a source of well-trained graduates?

Sorry, but this is a bit idealistic and far-fetched. They need to improve on the teaching and throughput rates before such as statement can be even remotely true. 

Share on Social Media

Lerato Monyatsi
    Participant

Hi Sylvia,

I’ve taken on 9 TVET learners early on in the year (Retail). It was ideal at the time but what needs to improve is that the learners need to have a particular focus for internship and be given logbooks at the colleges. I’m fully in support but unfortunately if there is not “formal requirement” by the college to force workplaces to link internship to college studies, we in L&D run the risk of having these learners to be seen as cheap labour by business, especially now that Setas are funding this and they have their own targets to meet.

The reports of internships being sent to Setas I doubt are even looked at or questioned.

Bu without a doubt in my mind that if we linked the work experience to studies and have these learners complete a logbook which would need to be assessed at college, this will help me a great deal with regards to the following:
    – I am able to justify why I need to increase the number learners to take on
    – justify this by way linking it to BBBEE category BCD (which is not the case with my 9 now)
    – justify them forming part of the talent pipeline
    – justify that they receive proper “formal” workplace internship with critical outputs to be monitored monthly

Any then on the skills sharing of lecturers, Foodbev wil by joint to the organization I work for, to brief us on This. In short they will be bringing two lecturers to spend sometime at our factories and we will also be sending our SMEs as guest lecturers to the colleges.

So much still needs to happen but I believe we are headed in the right direction, moving at a very slow pace though I must also add.

Share on Social Media

Tebogo Boroto
    Participant

Morning Sylvia

In my organisation we take on Chemical Operators fresh from college and upskill them on a year long learneship. Some of those who show exceptional work ethic are retained in the system for longer periods. That gives them enough exposure to be in a position to fight for permanent positions from within. I am not sure about their theory part from a TVET as I am more engineering focused.

It is the engineering apprentices that I am exposed to. I must say that the level of facilitation at the TVETS for trade-related learning has dropped terribly since the last time I was at the Technical College( That is what we used to call TVETS in our time). We recently interviewed potential candidates for apprenticeships and it was shocking to realise the level of Knowledge Transfer on these kids.

I feel that this opportunity of trying to upskill TVET facilitators(I’d rather we call them that than lecturers) should be broadened up. There should be collaboration between institutions of learning and industry; as much as we want industry to absorb students as apprentices, interns and learners, institutions should also be proactive and target those industrialists who have potential and interest to be developed as facilitators so as to have this pipeline of an enabled TVET workforce.

I delibarately mentioned potential and interest because facilitation at TVETS has degenerated like nursing at our hospitals and policing in our police force. It is done mostly because of lack of alternative employment and not because people love the task at hand nor have the interest nor the potential. It is difficult to nurture someone if potential is non-existant or they are disinterested in being on the coalface. In the facilitator’s case, more time seems to be spent in the staffroom than in front of the class facilitating.

Share on Social Media

tommy john salem
    Participant

As much as I understand what the Deputy President is saying in his response, I am of the opinion that this cannot be a one-sided intervention (from industry and companies).  My organisation is trying its utmost best to partner with our local public TVET College.  Since I started dealing with this specific TVET College, my frustration levels went through the roof.  The personnel are totally irresponsive (They don’t honour meetings, do not reply to e-mails, telephones are not answered, if you do manage to speak to them they cant give you the information you require).  Just to mention one or two examples:

The company I work for has been trying for more than a month to get the specific TVET College to just complete a Vendor Application Form and provide supporting Documents – so that we can do business with them. 

The TVET  College is closing tomorrow, I have been trying for the last three weeks to arrange a special group enrolment for the companies apprenticeship programme for the N1 NATED programme. Till today after numerous attempts I still do not know if the candidates are registered and when classes will start in the new tri-mester.

How are we supposed to move forward and hold hands in order to reach  the objectives as stated in the Deputy Presidents response?  With all honesty I think there is a lot more work required at the TVET Colleges to prepare them to be able to respond to industry in a way that will insure progress and sustainability.  I am not generalizing, I am aware that there are some TVET Colleges that are well organized and performing well administratively and academically. 

The company I work for is a State Owned Company and we are committed as an industry workplace to train our technical staff in relevant skills that are fit for purpose.  All we need is the will and the capability of institutions like our public TVET Colleges.  Come on TVET Colleges step up the plate and let us make this thing work. 

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media