Indicium Seta Management System – A user help group

STATSSA Area Code

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  sylvia hammond 2 months ago.

• Author

Andrew Friedemann
    Participant

When creating a new ‘Person’ it asks for a ‘STATSSA Area Code’.

I think this means ‘Stats SA’, but what area code? Where they live, went to school, work???

Yes it gives a lookup tool, but I do not know what it wants.

Share on Social Media

Kate Sani
    Participant

Hi Andrew.
    The STATSSA Code is for where the learner lives (residential address). Essentially, the DHET wants to know whether learners are urban or rural based (originally)
    These codes can be accessed at:
    https://webapps.dhet.gov.za/USUS/STATSSAAreaSearch

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

Kate, thank you for adding such valuable information.
      May I ask:

• when and where was this information communicated – as it does not seem to be in the public space, and it would not be easily found without the precise URL?
      • I thought I’d try it out so I entered Western Province and Kommetjie, and it returned Kommetjie SP and Kommetjie Estates – I have no idea what that means or which I would choose – are you aware what that means?

Many thanks for your contribution.
      Regards sylvia

Share on Social Media

Andrew Friedemann
    Participant

Hi Kate. Thanx.

Would be great if they added some help text to a lot of the fields.

Any idea why that want this info, especially as they have already asked for their address?

Much appreciated.

Share on Social Media

Kate Sani
    Participant

Hi Andrew,

The information SETAs are requesting is in response to the Gazetting of the SETMIS (Skills Education & Training Management Information System) gazetted on the 17th March 2017, No. 40691, Notice 221 of 2017. This gazette contains the specifications of data and provides very useful definitions on the information fields. It is well worth a read. It can also be downloaded from the DHET Website.

Share on Social Media

Kate Sani
    Participant

Dear Sylvia,

Hi. I assume that some SETAs have not released this info yet to their stakeholders as they are still readying their Learner Record Mngmt systems to accommodate the new data requirements. However, a very useful site is the DHET SETMIS webpage:

https://webapps.dhet.gov.za/USUS.aspx

In regards to the STATSSA Kommetjie Q:

For Kommetjie Estates you need to scroll across to see the associated “Main Place”. In this case, Kommetjie Estates associated “Main Place” is Noordhoek.

In regards to Kommetjie SP. STATSSA uses the abbreviation ‘SP’ in cases where a Sub-Place is not defined and the Main Place name is used instead.

So, my sense is that in order to decide on which code to use, one needs to ascertain which Main Place the learner lives closer to: Noordhoek or Kommetjie.

Hope this sheds a glimmer of light. It can be rather befuddling.

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

Dear Kate,
      You truly are a star.
      I realise now exactly what you are talking about because that is the Census classifications.
      I had previously sought clarification from StatsSA for an Employment Equity demographic analysis.
      In the valley we have 3 main places: Fish Hoek, Kommetjie, and Noordhoek.
      Fish Hoek does not have a sub-place, but Kommetjie has Ocean View as a sub-place and Noordhoek has Masiphumelele as a sub-place.
      So I would know exactly where the learners reside and where they should be classified.
      Thank you so much for your response.
      With appropriate communication we could all save a great deal of time and be more productive.

Share on Social Media

Kate Sani
    Participant

My Pleasure Sylvia. If you have an interest in such things, STATSSA has an interesting web page of a number of code classifications. I was fascinated to see that ‘Beggars’ have an occupational code (999)!

Code lists

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

Dear Kate,
      Yes I am very interested. I have found StatsSA very willing to engage on questions of definitions, when I queried own account workers.
      I am interested that the codes on the link are called Occupational Codes, so the comparison is with the OFO codes, but the StatsSA codes have the 900 numbers not in the OFO.
      I have been looking at labourers, and I found that OFO does not have labourers, but the StatsSA codes has a Mining and construction labourers code.
      On the codes for beggars, in the area where I live there are a few people who are at their post every day, so in a very real sense they are occupied daily for most of the day.

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media