Indicium Seta Management System – A user help group

Non SA School Leavers

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew Friedemann 8 months ago.

• Author

Andrew Friedemann
    Participant

Just a quick one to kick off discussion. When entering a new ‘Person’ onto the system, it requires a “Last School EMIS” number. It then provides a search tool to find this.

BUT – what if they did not go to school in SA? I was sent a link to the DHET website: https://webapps.dhet.gov.za/USUS/SchoolSearch to look these up as well, and that website says one must use:

000000001 – Person never attended school
    000000002 – Unable to find last school attended, last school attended was in South Africa
    000000003 – Unable to find last school attended, last school attended was not in South Africa.

BUT, Indicium does not accept any of these.

So what is everyone else doing? – I am just picking a school where they live which of course is skewing all the data, but I cannot find another way to add a new person.

Why on earth do we need to know the last school of the person anyway, especially if they left school 30-50 years ago like most of our learners?

Share on Social Media

Simphiwe Mdikane
    Participant

You are correct Andrew. This is the most useless field of data they have entered on the system. I also had a problem with TETA where they added this field after the learners were registered and when I came back to update, then it required these fields which were not there in the innitial registration.

Now I had no way of finding this info and that’s when I found out how easy it is to jeppo the system. It has no way of verifying the data and you can enter any school and it will take it. Based on that, I do not see the velue of requesting this info.

Share on Social Media

Andrew Friedemann
    Participant

I believe these now work, but have not tried them.

000000001 – Person never attended school
    000000002 – Unable to find last school attended, last school attended was in South Africa
    000000003 – Unable to find last school attended, last school attended was not in South Africa.

Share on Social Media

Erik Nielsen
    Participant

I am trying to work with Cathsseta Indicium for the last week to upload 2 learners. It accepts the last school not in SA choice but I do not know what to put in the STATSSA block for someone who finished school in Dubai.

Share on Social Media

Andrew Friedemann
    Participant

I may be wrong, but I understand the Statssa as the area within which they live. As such I just use the town they have provided for their address.

Without comprehensive advise, we have to just do whatever we feel is correct.

Share on Social Media

Kate Sani
    Participant

Dear Erik,

Andrew’s explanation is spot-on – the STATSSA Code is the code that STATSSA has given for the area/suburb in which the learner currently lives. It is not related to the learner’s “Last School Attended” field.

The explanation and very comprehensive Specifications for each of the fields are contained in the Government Gazette, as these fields are a recent reporting requirement from the National Department. These docs can be found on the web – address in the attached doc.

Share on Social Media
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Simphiwe Mdikane
    Participant

Hi Andrew.
    Do these fields really work? What are they using them for? There is no way of verifying if the information entered is correct or not. Unless the system are different – because I’m using the NLRD of TETA – try putting your own information there and see if it’ll take it. The information they put there and the means they give us to obtain this information do not line up. Try it whenever you get stuck somewhere and see if it’ll take it. That’s how I jeppo the system.

Share on Social Media

Andrew Friedemann
    Participant

I just do whatever I think correct. Many times it will not accept what I want to put there so just put something it does accept. In reality in my opinion, not of this data can be relied on as the system has been terribly designed and everyone I have spoken to says they are just making up stuff to add, just to be able to get it to go through.

I had a very interesting, but worrying conversation with someone who wishes to stay anonymous due to their political involvement. Their worry was it is conceivable that based on electoral results, funding could be allocated or withheld to people based on the data added to this system. They explained that if for example Party X lost an election in a certain STATSSA area as listed in the learners profile, public funding could be witheld from that area in future.

I personally am not sure if this is even possible, and am only passing on what I was told in relation to your questions of what the data is used for, which could quite possibly be ‘fantastical’ thinking.

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media