Assessment & Moderation

What is a reasonable hourly rate for assessment?

This topic contains 37 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Skills Universe 2 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Hi everyone,

I have never qouted on an hourly rate for assessnment. can anyone tell me off hand what would be a reasonable figure. This is for soft skills, from customer service to leadership management, so I imagine the NQF levels will vary.

I’d appreciate any input on this.

Thanks and remain blessed.

Share on Social Media

Good morning Wendy,
    We have paid for Pre ABET Assessment R195.00. Hope this helps.

Share on Social Media

It does help Pranusha thank you.

Pranusha Moodley said:

Good morning Wendy,
    We have paid for Pre ABET Assessment R195.00. Hope this helps.
    Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Hi, we pay about R200 to R250 for assessment from NQF level 2. Regards

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Share on Social Media

Lize is this per hour or per P.O.E?

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Because assessors work at different speeds, I think most providers pay a set rate per assessment; the same with moderation. You may decide to have different rates depending on the NQF level.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Because assessors work at different speeds, I think most providers pay a set rate per assessment; the same with moderation. You may decide to have different rates depending on the NQF level.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Share on Social Media

Hi there,
    I am an Inseta assessor. Would the rate quoted be depended on how many unit standards are been assessed per POE and is that rate a general rate across all seta’s?

Share on Social Media

Hi Wendy. As far as my experience goes your rate should be at least 150.00 per hour doe assessments. if there is a very large amount to be done, ask for a sample, see how long it takes you and then quote a daily rate. regards Gizelle

Share on Social Media

It will sometimes depend on the type of assessment and the evidence to be collected an the different types of assessment tools used. For example other trainers will charge for POE sampling only and that will serve as judgement for competence. Workplace Summative Assessments are a different case. Whereby the Assessor has to evaluate the POE, go through workplace reports and then design a Workplace Summative Assessment Tool which will be used to assess the learner at the workplace to accurately make judgement on Skill, Knowledge and Attitude. As effective as it is, there are a lot of logistic preparations, including transport and ensuring that all the stakeholders are involved in the assessment process. From informing the supervisors, requesting for access in work stations and checking that the learner will be on duty. All those expenses needs to be factored in the price. There is a flat rate of R35 per credit that I once worked on with another company, plus transport.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Hi

We have worked out a table according to levels number of credits etc and you will then be able to set the standard for your company according to budget.

A flat hourly rate could cause people to drag feet and build up hours. You can e-mail me on lorinda@siyathembana.com and I will gladly share table with you as a guideline to use

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Hi

We have worked out a table according to levels number of credits etc and you will then be able to set the standard for your company according to budget.

A flat hourly rate could cause people to drag feet and build up hours. You can e-mail me on lorinda@siyathembana.com and I will gladly share table with you as a guideline to use

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Hi

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Hi

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Hi

Share on Social Media

Wessel PIETERS
    Participant

I am emplying project managers assessors for the IPMA certification process at R300/hr for an IPMA approved assessor at Level-D (NQF6).
    level-A will probably pan out at R500/hr.

Share on Social Media

Hannetjie Hock
    Participant

Hi Wendy

You received excellent feedback. I can only add the following:
    – it does depend on the NQF Level. For Unit Stds on NQF 5 and up you will charge more.
    – it depends on the length of the Unit Standard – ie. you will charge more for a Unit Std with 7 SO’s as opposed to one with 2 (take into consideration the number of AC’s as well)
    – if you are strictly assessing the POE, then a set rate will be applicable per Unit Std or per the POE (in cases of more than one Unit Std)
    – if doing on site assessments, ie. Observations, etc. you will charge an hourly rate plus travelling costs. You must negotiate this upfront, as sometimes there might be unexpected delays when you arrive on site (in terms of business operations).
    – always quote/propose upfront and get this accepted before engaging in assessments.
    Hope this helps.

Regards
    Hannetjie

Share on Social Media

Thanks for that. It has been my experience too, where each training provider varies in there rates for the same reasons you mentioned below. It can be very frusting when it comes to quoting your rate as a assessor to a training provider. I guess each case has to be assessed individually …

Nkhensani Ndhlovu said:

It will sometimes depend on the type of assessment and the evidence to be collected an the different types of assessment tools used. For example other trainers will charge for POE sampling only and that will serve as judgement for competence. Workplace Summative Assessments are a different case. Whereby the Assessor has to evaluate the POE, go through workplace reports and then design a Workplace Summative Assessment Tool which will be used to assess the learner at the workplace to accurately make judgement on Skill, Knowledge and Attitude. As effective as it is, there are a lot of logistic preparations, including transport and ensuring that all the stakeholders are involved in the assessment process. From informing the supervisors, requesting for access in work stations and checking that the learner will be on duty. All those expenses needs to be factored in the price. There is a flat rate of R35 per credit that I once worked on with another company, plus transport.
    Share on Social Media

This sounds like a plan Gizelle. thank you. Love the name,

Share on Social Media

Guys this is all so helpful. I’d love to thank wach person individually but I don’t think you have the time to read thru it all. Eveyone has a valid point and the frustrations are the same and I find that more often the not the work I have qouted turns out to be more than the cost. So guesse what, I’m taking the sampling bit very seriously going forward.

I will definately save this thread for future reference as well.

Thank you

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Hi
    Yes, the number of assessments to be processed will determine the rate. Our norm is however to combine the facilitation and assessment processes – it has a positive influence on the budget! Our moderation is separate and the norm is R250 per portfolio for levels 2 – 4 and R350 Level 5 and above. Again it also depend on the number of portfolios. Assessment only: practical in a workshop – more or less R200 per hour, assignments (desktop) about R180.
    The rates will always be inline with the funding contract. Privately funded training has a more lenient budget than a SETA budget. Good luck with your endeavors.
    Christa

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Hi
    Yes, the number of assessments to be processed will determine the rate. Our norm is however to combine the facilitation and assessment processes – it has a positive influence on the budget! Our moderation is separate and the norm is R250 per portfolio for levels 2 – 4 and R350 Level 5 and above. Again it also depend on the number of portfolios. Assessment only: practical in a workshop – more or less R200 per hour, assignments (desktop) about R180.
    The rates will always be inline with the funding contract. Privately funded training has a more lenient budget than a SETA budget. Good luck with your endeavors.
    Christa

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Hi
    Christa

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Hi
    Christa

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Hi
    Christa

Share on Social Media

Good day all, is there a differnece in payment of an assessor between assessing a stand alone unit satndard and a full qualification. What will it be?

Thanks

Andre

Share on Social Media

Andre’

Yes, there a big difference because remember you are investing time and that’s one big part of your product. A standalone policy will take you much less time than a qualification which may have anything from 15 to 24 unit standards. i stand corrected on the max nr. of unit stds in a P.O.E. I’ve been paid anything from R200 to R1000 for a qualification.

The R200 is beyond exploitation though, that’s when you allow yourself to be manipulated, I used to be a glutton for punishment. No more I tell you, no more.

Give me your email address and i’ll send you my pricing guide for this.

Share on Social Media

Hi Wendy
    could you please send me your pricing guide too? My email addy is khuselatraining@gmail.com OR ljblucas@mweb.co.za thanks

Wendy Ewurum said:

Andre’

Yes, there a big difference because remember you are investing time and that’s one big part of your product. A standalone policy will take you much less time than a qualification which may have anything from 15 to 24 unit standards. i stand corrected on the max nr. of unit stds in a P.O.E. I’ve been paid anything from R200 to R1000 for a qualification.

The R200 is beyond exploitation though, that’s when you allow yourself to be manipulated, I used to be a glutton for punishment. No more I tell you, no more.

Share on Social Media

Hi Wendy
    I have also never quoted as yet. However, i think the level of assessment, the amount of credits and the type of qualification , will all have an impact on the pricing of assessment. At least , this is my view.
    Regards
    Evan

Share on Social Media

This guide will come in handy. If you can mail me the pricing guide I’ll appreciate it. Email address bkahlerventer@abrocha.co.za, Thanks

Wendy Ewurum said:

Andre’

Share on Social Media

Hi Evan,
    yes this is true. It’s what i’ve used to come up with my pricing guide. But even coming up with that, I’ve had to look at what are acceptable figures that I could play around with. When I asked this question regarding the hourly rate as opposed to my usual per P.O.E rate, I thought my hourly rate would come out much lower. And to my surprise, I find out that the hourly rate is actually quite workable between R200/R300 per hour. of course exactly what the price will be depends on other factors but at least now there is a benchmark to work from.

This is the greatest post i’ve ever done. Thank you guys.

Evan David Ruthford said:

Hi Wendy
    I have also never quoted as yet. However, i think the level of assessment, the amount of credits and the type of qualification , will all have an impact on the pricing of assessment. At least , this is my view.
    Regards
    Evan
    Share on Social Media

Hi Wendy, thank you for your offer. My e-mail address is andre@green-door-consulting.co.za

Regards

Andre

Wendy Ewurum said:

Andre’

Share on Social Media

Hi All

I’ve been assessing portfolios at R100 per US per PoE per Learner. It’s been working OK for me thusfar.

Share on Social Media

Wilma de Villiers
    Participant

I am an assessor for a training provider that pays R10 per credit. For some unit standards the payment is ‘fine’, but some unit standards that have less credits actually takes longer to assess than e.g. a unit standard with more credits.

At another training provider it works as follows:
    R200 per unit standard for cores and fundamentals
    R150 per unit standard for electives.

Share on Social Media

Good day to all, and I hope you had wondeful Easter Holidays. I am also in need of guidance with regards to assessment rates both daily and hourly. There is service peovider who wants to engage my services but wants me to indicate these rates. A guidance will be appreciated.
    My contact details are:

fmotsamai@hotmail.com.

Share on Social Media

Hi Lorinda

Kindly send us our table to info@tirisanoyabakwena.co.za

Thanks

Share on Social Media

please send us a guide to info@tirisanoyabakwena.co.za

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media