Assessment & Moderation

Providers failing their learners

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Pierre Wepener: SABPP 54801036 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Des Squire
    Participant

I find it quite disturbing that so many newly qualified assessors and moderators contact me to enquire as to how to register as assessors and moderators. When I question them they tell me the providers do not explain what must happen after qualifying. In may instances the newly qualified assessors and moderators do not meet the “subject matter expertise” requirements in order to register and are turned down by the SETA. Is this an ethical problem with some training providers???

Another area of concern to me is the completion of POE’s during training. The unit standard is quite specific when it states one of the assessments conducted by the learner may be fictitious. This is an area being flaunted by providers and goes against the rules where the credits and notional hours (for practical and on the job experience) of study are concerned. In addition a learner may not undergo training as a moderator until they have qualified as assessors and must be in possession of a statement of results to verify this fact. Why are some providers still offering a combined training for assessor and moderator??? Once again I am concerned as this is an ethical problem and must be dealt with.

Share on Social Media

Simon Zitha
    Participant

{In may instances the newly qualified assessors and moderators do not meet the “subject matter expertise” requirements in order to register and are turned down by the SETA.} The Seta does not turn down Assessor and Moderator on the basis that they are newly qualifified Assessor/Moderators. They are turn down on the basis that they don’t have experience and qualification on the course that they want constituency for. And that they have no testimonials to prove experience and thus cannot impart relevant skills to any learner and hence their registration is declined by Setas.

Share on Social Media

Des Squire
    Participant

Exactly as I have said. thank you for confirming. problem is that providers still train these individuals as assessors knowing they will never be able to register. Unethical behaviour in my opinion

Share on Social Media

Simphiwe Mdikane
    Participant

Ignorance on the part of learners lead to exploitation by “service providers”. They are scrupulous and do not care as long as they get that moola. These people are not provide any service, they steal hard earned money from unsuspecting people. @Des, as I am typing this, I am simultaneously speaking to someone that is looking for work from me and yet she doesn’t know the difference between a SoR and a certificate. She says the SP told her she is registered as an Assessor. It is appalling what is happening out there. People don’t realise that they shouldn’t accept a certificate that is not accompanied by a SoR from their respective SETA. We need help. SETAs still have SP that do not upload learners on their database. When are they going to remove these vultures from the system?

Share on Social Media

Des Squire
    Participant

Hi Simphiwe, the objective of the NQF was to assist historically disadvantaged individuals. In many instances the system has failed to do so and in many instances providers are currently failing them and taking them for a ride. I have advise some providers that what they are doing is not permitted but they do not care and carry on. We must go on creating awareness of the irregularities that exist and take action where necessary.

Share on Social Media

On accord with everything you’ve said Des!

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media