Assessment & Moderation

Assessors_Moderators Refreshers

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Desiree Fourie 2 months ago.

• Author

Desiree Fourie
    Participant

Hi

I was just wondering, how do Assessors and Moderators keep abreast with their relevant SETA’s wrt to changes? e.g. the initialling of each page only came about a couple of years ago. How would an Assessor become aware of this change to ensure that when it goes for moderating it’s not pended and returned because each page was not initialled. (just using initialling) as an example. There have been some changes of late that I am not aware of and I have been assessing for about 7 years. Any suggestions.

Even if it means attending a refresher course I am happy to.

Desiree

Share on Social Media

Wilma de Villiers
    Participant

Desiree, it is a challenge. We only found out at external moderation. I have asked the SETA several times for a policy or a manual/ guidelines. My defense was every time that it is nowhere in writing and it was not indicated in the previous external moderator report. It was then accepted and then indicated as a recommendation in the external moderator report.

Another challenges is that the criteria sometimes differ from external moderator to external moderator.

Share on Social Media

Desiree Fourie
    Participant

Hi Wilma

Thanks so much for your feedback at least I don’t feel alone here and this is why I put it out there.

I am also going to try with SETA as I know someone there and if I manage to get any positive feedback I will keep you in the loop.

I think we should as Assessor and Moderators just share information we receive from internal and external moderator. Some may be old but some may be current. Maybe we should create a group on here purely for that.

Maybe our Group Administrators can be of assistance here.

It’s a learning journey for all of us and will also improve the assessment/moderating processes.

Kind Regards
    Des

Share on Social Media

Des Squire
    Participant

There are no hard fast rulels or regulations relating to how assessors indicate they have assessed each page or each question. Old school thinking was the use of diffeerent pen colours. As a verifier I look for an indication that the assessor has in fact checked each question and this is best done by means of coloured pens (red for assessor) ticking each question in a test or each page in the POE. Bottom line is the moderator should check the assessor and point out any areas of concern or where a lack of visible evidence of actual assessment exists. The same would apply at the verification stage where the verifier checks that moderation and assessment has in fact taken place and is clearly indicated.

Share on Social Media

Adel Griesel
    Participant

Good Afternoon all

I can confirm that Services SETA hardly does external moderation. MICTSETA do but for a significant number of learners. I have the privilege to be present with my moderation when external moderators arrive for checks, during the past three months I had 156 files from 5 different providers, and I had to assist the assessor in making corrections, I did not penalise the student but addressed the assessor. I do think there is a need for providers to understand that the assessor and moderator must be in contact with one another. We are here to assist the learner and one another, to assist, help and advise assessors is a necessity; hence, you are the moderator. I can write essays around this. Moderators get penalised for just marking and not giving any comments, in my case, I do give comments which is transparent and not negative towards the assessor, but I ensure to see the assessor or write him/her a report of what is required and what must be done going forward. So far, I have contacts with 80 assessors countrywide who provides me with updates, feedback, etc. some even send me their reports to illustrate their understanding of my recommendations, which is a good feeling.

I do plan to have a workshop soon for both Assessors and Moderators in different entry levels and experiences, there is quite a gap, and I will see to have a SETA QA present as well.

Share on Social Media

Desiree Fourie
    Participant

Hi Adel

Thank you so much for this feedback. Glad to see that I am not alone here and that there certainly a gap in the market for Assessors and Moderators to mature their skills.
    Please keep me posted wrt your workshops etc would be happy to attend.

Kind Regards
    Des

@Des Squire – Thank you as well for your feedback, appreciated.

Des

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media