Assessment & Moderation

Assessors requested to sign off on POEs

This topic contains 19 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Skills Universe 2 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Why is it that certain organisations have the expectation that you would simply sign off on a POE or several POEs so that they may save on money? That means that they get their untrained, not unskilled, staff to do the assessments and then expect you as the Assessor to approve the POE so to speak? And this means that you also do not get paid the fee you’d expect to be paid… what is this expected fee anyway? Would others care to comment on both matters of concern?

Share on Social Media

Hi All
    I am moderating at R250 Per hour (they pay accommodation transport….. ) Next week I have a appointment with people to discuss quality control. (spot check the learner not the POE)
    Moderation must start with a 50% fee upfront and the rest on completion. If they do not pay don’t release the reports. Good luck

Share on Social Media

Helene Strauss
    Participant

I agree wholeheartedly and am concerned at stories I have heard of providers paying assessors for their signature (all hearsay I must add, as no one comes forward).

I am also tired of signing SLA’s with providers, never to hear from them again, but I am sure my name and credentials appear on their submissions for accreditation. Contacted my Seta who say they are putting measures in place so that one can check who’s using one’s details.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Yes, I am sure this is happening but it is contrary to the code of conduct signed. Honesty and integraty play a major role. I also assume that if one Assessor/Moderator doesn’t want to do this the company in question would just go to another assessor/moderator who in turn will isgn this off. I f a learner is involved in an accident or conducts himself in an unbecomming way and the learner explains in the investigation that assessment never happened, I assume that the assessor could be held liable for the negative acts. This could have dire consequences for the assessor

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Yes, I am sure this is happening but it is contrary to the code of conduct signed. Honesty and integraty play a major role. I also assume that if one Assessor/Moderator doesn’t want to do this the company in question would just go to another assessor/moderator who in turn will isgn this off. I f a learner is involved in an accident or conducts himself in an unbecomming way and the learner explains in the investigation that assessment never happened, I assume that the assessor could be held liable for the negative acts. This could have dire consequences for the assessor

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Share on Social Media

may you please also send your email

Share on Social Media

I have written a comment in a different section, but I believe this may be the correct section to comment in. Are any of you (Assessors & Moderators) constituent with the Services SETA? I ask this because the SSETA will not allow their providers to use external Assessors and moderators, they must be included (experience, training and all) when the provider applys for accreditation. That is whay I am confused. Please could someone clarify for me. It would make my life much easier if I could contract Assessors and Moderators per project and not have to extend our scope every time.

Share on Social Media

Frikkie Stoltz
    Participant

Donne’ Austin (nee de Klerk) said:

I have written a comment in a different section, but I believe this may be the correct section to comment in. Are any of you (Assessors & Moderators) constituent with the Services SETA? I ask this because the SSETA will not allow their providers to use external Assessors and moderators, they must be included (experience, training and all) when the provider applys for accreditation. That is whay I am confused. Please could someone clarify for me. It would make my life much easier if I could contract Assessors and Moderators per project and not have to extend our scope every time.
    Share on Social Media

Frikkie Stoltz
    Participant

Johannes Francois Stoltz said:

Share on Social Media

Frikkie Stoltz
    Participant

Donne

Can you please sent me your email address.

I am quite involved in external assessing and moderating. As far as I know the service provider must proof to the setas that they do have assessors and moderators in place. Some providers are misusing this.

Share on Social Media

Frikkie Stoltz
    Participant

Grant

This is totally against the code of conduct which we as registered assessors/moderators signed. I totally ignored these request. It happen to me already

Share on Social Media

Seiso David Shasha
    Participant

Hi ! Grant it is unprofessional, unethically and procedurally wrong to sign POE. The reason being that:
    1. We all know as Assessors and Moderators that we have to plan assessment and moderation process.
    2. Make choice on type of assessment instrument to be used as Assessors this call those not belong to Clients or Employers.

Therefore it is improper for us as Assessors approve those POE.

From Seiso David Shasha
    Qualified Assessor & Moderator

Share on Social Media

Tricia Sterling
    Participant

We have to preserve our professional ethics so this is not on! We should also stick together as aprofessional group and not tolerate these requests.

Share on Social Media

Tricia Sterling
    Participant

I am also very tired of all the potential contracts i have looked at and providers who want your CV and you never hear from them again…it is hard to take it back once it is out there.

Helene Strauss said:

I agree wholeheartedly and am concerned at stories I have heard of providers paying assessors for their signature (all hearsay I must add, as no one comes forward).

I am also tired of signing SLA’s with providers, never to hear from them again, but I am sure my name and credentials appear on their submissions for accreditation. Contacted my Seta who say they are putting measures in place so that one can check who’s using one’s details.

Share on Social Media

Dear Grant,

This is unscruplous practice! My advice is do not sign off any POE unless you have assessed it in it’s entirety because should any legal issues arise guess who will be called upon to answer…you!

Regarding fees it varies depending on the provider. You must take into account the unit std, credits, the amount of evidence etc and off course how many hours it would take to assess one POE. Hours would differ from unit std to unit std or skils programme to skills programme. Just make sure that you are fairly remunerated for your time.

Regards
    Arlene

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Dear All,

I have as principle found it necessary based on similar experiences to have a meeting with the client and in most instances with the sercice provider facilitating the programme before the event, and in terms of what my expectations as either assessor or moderator would be.

I have found that this sets the scene for the facilitator to ensure that the requirements are met during the programme insofar as the standard of assessments, the completion thereof and that of the POE etc. are concerned.

I have varied my fee depending on the level and subject matter to be assessed ranging from R 150 to R 550 where high levels of technicality of summative assessments are required, also taking the volumes to be done into consideration.

Regards

Pierre Goetz

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Dear All,

I have as principle found it necessary based on similar experiences to have a meeting with the client and in most instances with the sercice provider facilitating the programme before the event, and in terms of what my expectations as either assessor or moderator would be.

I have found that this sets the scene for the facilitator to ensure that the requirements are met during the programme insofar as the standard of assessments, the completion thereof and that of the POE etc. are concerned.

I have varied my fee depending on the level and subject matter to be assessed ranging from R 150 to R 550 where high levels of technicality of summative assessments are required, also taking the volumes to be done into consideration.

Regards

Pierre Goetz

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Dear All,

Regards

Pierre Goetz

Share on Social Media

Hannetjie Hock
    Participant

Hi Donne

Have you had any response in this regard yet? I would be interested in finding this out, as I am an independent consultant & assessor .

Please advise.

thank you
    Hannetjie Hock

Share on Social Media

Hannetjie Hock
    Participant

Definitely not an acceptable practice – just to sign off without verifying the POE.

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media