Concerned Providers Interest Group – QCTO/SAQA/SETA/DHET

Who is Lynel, and what does she do?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Lynel Farrell
      Keymaster

To Whom It May Concern, I would like to inform you that I am NOT:

1. A Recruitment Agency (I do not recruit/recommend where to get a job)
      2. CIPC Officer (I do not register companies with CIPC)
      3. The Police or a Labor Lawyer
      4. Fraud Investigator
      5. Skills Development Provider
      6. Learning Material Designer (qualified but not practicing nor offering)
      7. The President’s Secretary or anyone’s secretary for that matter.

So who am I? I am Lynel Farrell, an independent consultant that follow the various regulations and gazettes to ensure that I am on track in the Education and Training Sector. I share information on various social networks in order to create awareness of new rules, stipulations and what is happening currently in our world of learning. The sharing of information is something that I have been doing for over a decade on various networks – I do this for the love of the industry. My main service and focus is to assist Accredited Providers in applying for accreditation with the QCTO (this is what I love doing). I follow the DHET and various Acts to be ready for the next application for registration once gazetted and published.

Share on Social Media
      sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

Hi Lynel thank you for posting your un-CV.
      Stay strong.

Share on Social Media
        Lynel Farrell
        Keymaster

Thank you Sylvia, I cannot keep up with requests which has got nothing to do with what I do and love. I know it is hard out there. I will stay strong, I promise!

Share on Social Media
          sylvia hammond
          Keymaster

Hi Lynel,
          I hope that you you are rested & prepared for the new week.

I was thinking about your post over the weekend, and thinking about the benefits & dis-benefits of social media.

It reminded me of a similar post I did some time ago to LinkedIn – always useful to reduce the stress by keeping a sense of humour about these things.

After receiving a number of those messages from people complimenting my beautiful smile, and looking for my personal information, I posted something along these lines –
          I’m not looking for:
          a personal relationship, a job, bit-coins, or to change my religious beliefs. :).

Now the serious question.
          On your comments about the services that you do provide, you mention accreditation with QCTO services, and following the gazettes, so I am assuming that you would continue to advise on registration with DHET.

I was wondering – if I am correct, there was a benefit in the registration process for large organisations/colleges.

So if you were the decision-maker, & from your experience in the registration process with DHET,
          * how would you cut-off for a registration process – how would you define that cut-off?
          and
          * would you have levels of registration?

One of the things that got my mind wondering in this direction, was the new EEA requirements, where DoEL have dropped off from the need to report – all companies that employ less than 50 employees.

So I was thinking – now how would that work for training/skills development, as I don’t think that there are large numbers of permanently employed, rather use of consultant type contracts?

Share on Social Media
      Lynel Farrell
      Keymaster

Hi Sylvia,
      Yes, this looking for love, selling coffins and all sorts of stuff on social media are at times extremely funny – but you get those days when you want to focus on what is important – and have little time for anything else.

I will definitely assist SDPs with the DHET requirements and registration, once gazetted and the application forms have been published. To this date, there are still consultants promising to get a SDP registered with DHET, whereby this registration have been revoked. It is not revoked for providers that have accreditation with Umalusi and CHE though.

Even JSE listed companies that have accreditation with a SETA and/or QCTO could not push through with registration. The Skills Development Act had a lot to do with it.

If I was the decision maker (which I am not), I would not cut-off any SDP from registering with the DHET at all. The difference here is that honest hard-working ethical providers will want to register immediately, and the bogus ones would not. This will cut out the bogus providers and clean up the industry. Since the revocation of this registration, the bogus providers have hit our industry hard and they are running like mince machines.

Levels of registration….. that would be a difficult one, as each SDP is unique in how they operate. I have not worked with any provider that operates the same as another. Their processes in quality assurance might be the same, but not one provider are the same. Every provider I work with is completely unique in their own way.

I don’t deal with EEA requirements at all, nor do I deal with DoEL. Many providers use contracted Facilitators, Assessors and Moderators – so they work and get paid when needed. It is unfortunate that providers do not have a selection of companies that contract with them for a number of years and a specific number of learners. With this pandemic that caught most of us off-guard, you would have seen that the first budget that gets cut immediately is the training budget, in order to keep those staff that are employed, still employed.

One of the big problems that most contracted “freelancers” had, whom do not have a registered businesses, but are independent – could not tap in on the UIF. So in fact, what the figures are of unemployed individuals are far higher than what is reported. Those whom are contracted, get paid when they work – so its been a very difficult time for most of freelancers during this past 6 months.

Share on Social Media
      sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

Lynel, thank you once again. I can always rely on you to provide a comprehensive response – and raise issues that I had not thought of.

The issue of the independent consultants is really serious and I wonder if StatsSA are going to be able to pick that up in their next survey.

It is an example of how we still have policies and systems that were based upon the traditional mode of employment relationships, and yet so much of our economy now consists of the precariat – various forms of insecure work and methods of earning an income.

Share on Social Media
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Share on Social Media