Concerned Providers Interest Group – QCTO/SAQA/SETA/DHET

The Question remains – what or how do we plan?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Lynel Farrell 2 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

What do you plan?  How do you plan?  Where to from here?  Okay, so we know that the SAQA qualifications are all reaching their “registration end date” on the 30th June 2015, which then gives us the last date for “enrolment” by the 30th June 2016 (which exceeds the license end date of all the SETAs – 31st March 2016 (correct me if I am wrong) – and the last date for achievement of these qualifications (most of them now) reads – 30th June 2019.

My common sense tells me that:

1. If the last date of “enrolment” to a qualification exceeds the “end of license date” of the SETAs – the SETA licenses will be extended (right?)

2. If learners enrol after the 31st March 2016 – they have the right to continue their qualification, as long as they achieve this before or on the “last date of achievement” dated 30th June 2019 (right?)

3. If training providers, assessors and moderators re-register themselves before the “license end date” of the Seta for 3-5 years, then they can continue with learning, assessing (right?)

4. If the training provider, assessors and moderators are currently registered beyond the “license end date” of the SETA, it is not their problem who is going to quality assure the qualifications (right?)

Somehow, I am missing something – or is this valid questions to ask?  There is no reason that I would even think that the Occupational Qualifications will be ready by June 2015, replacing all the current SAQA or legacy qualifications (right?)

So the question will be, with respect – how do you plan your future training workshops and learnerships – or are you planning to close shop?

Share on Social Media

Tass Schwab
    Participant

My questions mirror yours. While driving to a consult this morning, I thought ” Please extend EVERYTHING for another 5 years” because I think thats the amount of time it will take for the QCTO to either collapse completely or for them to really run smoothly…

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Yes, extension is required.  5 years minimum!  Will this be realised to late?  If the QCTO is implementing only 2 occupational qualifications after so many years (not to sure if that means if it has been tested and signed off as an Occupational Qualification as yet), they can just as well “can” it, update the existing – and spend money on updating – which in turn complements employment, providers continuing what they do best, SAQA stays in control (full control) and we have some standards, access to information, structure, happy learners and so the list goes on.  I wonder if the APPETD will do something about it?

Share on Social Media

Dear Lynel

The SAQA Board at its meeting of 1 October 2014 decided that all qualifications would be extended for a further 3 three years, except those who will be recommended for replacement by the Quality Councils and those qualifications with no learner uptake that will be de-registered (these qualifications who don’t have any learners registered against it). The Quality Councils and SAQA will interact around the specific qualifications and it will be published on SAQA website as usual!

The issue of the SETA landscape is a different issue and that decision of how many SETAs and function of SETAs and whether their licences will be extended rests with the Minster of Higher education and Training. There is currently a process underway to make decisions in this regard. However, it is important to note that the departmental view is that quality assurance in the workplace should be located with the Quality Council for Trades and Occupations and not necessarily with SETAs.

Regards

Joe Samuels

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Mr Samuels, thank you so, so much for this!  I am sure that there are some relief from many providers.  It gives us some indication of how we continue to up skill individuals, and commit to learners!  Your communication is well received and we appreciate that you and your team is looking after the interest of thousands/millions of learners!  I hope that SAQA takes the lead (and stay in control), then at least we know that there is hope for education, structure, standards to mention a few.  With this communication, you have given us hope.  Thank you Mr Samuels!!

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media