Concerned Providers Interest Group – QCTO/SAQA/SETA/DHET

Stop confusing Accredited Providers – enough is enough!

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Lynel Farrell 1 month ago.

• Author

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Another interesting day! For those who know me well, will automatically visualize the expression on my face, the steam coming out of my ears, and my head shaking from left to right. I have learned that consultants offering to compile provider applications for QCTO accreditation application are still using the old forms (bad, bad, bad – stop selling a service if you are not able to keep updated with the requirements) and then an interesting finding whereby consultants are assisting providers in the application for registration to the DHET, whereby they advise the provider that they may not continue with their learning programmes until such time that the DHET have issued them with a registration number and certificate.

I would like to place on record the following: the DHET published list of Skills Development Providers (applicants) clearly state the following:

“This list provides the public with information on the Skills Development Providers (SDPs):
    • that have lodged applications to be registered as private colleges with the Department of Higher Education and Training. The list shows the names, contact details and physical addresses of the SDPs in question; and
    • that have been accredited by the Quality Council for Trades and Occupations (QCTO) or its delegated agencies;
    Important to note is the following:
    • These SDPs must still comply with the legislation by displaying their accreditations conspicuously and be able to produce them on demand to any person with interest; and
    • They must continue to offer education and training with valid accreditations until their applications for registration have been determined by the Registrar of Private Colleges.

The public is advised to check the validity of the accreditations of these SDPs with QCTO) or its delegated agencies.”

The above is copied directly from the DHET’s published document, for ease of reference.

I find it very difficult to believe, that any individual will give such nonsense and BS to a provider. Obviously the provider must continue with their current accredited (and learning programme approved) qualifications, skills programmes and/or short course unit standards. How, can anyone be so senseless to tell a provider to wait for DHET registration (and Certificate) in order to continue business? Come on people, if you are not sure about advice given to you, pick up the phone to your SETA or the QCTO or to SAQA or to the DHET. Continue with business as per normal. You received accreditation by your SETA and/or QCTO which you have earned and worked damn hard for, and you received your letter of acknowledgement from the DHET (for those who have already submitted their application for registration to the DHET). The DHET application for registration does not happen overnight at all, it is a long process.

I wish I could stop all these rumors and nonsense, but South Africa is just too big to handle!

Now, let’s upskill a nation with quality learning programmes, fantastic facilitators, well-educated Assessors and Moderators and ethical/good/quality standards.

Share on Social Media

Des Squire
    Participant

Hi Lynel, once again well said and yes I agree it i time these people got their fact right.
    I notice the department are still saying
    “This list provides the public with information on the Skills Development Providers (SDPs):
    • that have lodged applications to be registered as private colleges with the Department of Higher Education and Training.

What about the private provider who is not wanting to register as a private college? – there are many such providers and for this very reason i have still not registered as I am not a college.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
      Participant

Des, the Act now refers to Skills Development Providers, and I think it is important to look at the offences and penalties.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

19 August 2019: Government Gazette Vol.650, No 1078: It is hereby notified that the President has assented to the following Act, which is hereby published for general information:

Act No.12 of 2019: National Qualifications Framework Amendment Act, 2019

Herewith some extractions from the gazette for ease of reference:

“by the substitution for the definition of ‘‘skills development provider’’ of the following definition:
    ‘‘ ‘skills development provider’means a provider that is registered with the Department in terms of the Continuing Education and Training Act, and is accredited by the QC for Trades and Occupations to offer occupational qualifications;’’

Section 3 of the principal Act is hereby amended—
    (a) by the substitution for subsection (2) of the following subsection:
    ‘‘(2) Every qualification or part-qualification contemplated in subsection (1)(a) must be registered on the National Qualifications Framework in accordance with this Act.’’; and by the addition of the following subsection:
    ‘‘(3) Every private education institution or skills development provider offering education and training programme or any component thereof towards a qualification or part-qualification, must be registered by the relevant Department as a private education institution or skills development provider and accredited by the relevant QC to offer such qualification or part-qualification.’’.

Offences and penalties
    A person, an education institution or skills development provider is guilty of an offence if a person, the education institution or skills development provider claims to be offering a qualification or part qualification registered on the NQF whereas that qualification or part qualification is not so registered.

Any person convicted of an offence in terms of this Act, is liable, in the case of a contravention of sections 32B(1), 32B(2), 32B(3) or 32B(4) to a fine or to imprisonment for a period not exceeding five years, or to both a fine and such imprisonment.

Any person, education institution, director or a board member of an education institution, foreign institution or its agents, or skills development provider in contravention of section 32B(4) may be ordered to close its business and declared unfit to apply and register any education institution, skills development provider or become an agent of any foreign institution in the Republic offering a qualification or part-qualification on the NQF or foreign qualification or part-qualification for a period not exceeding 10 years.’’.

This Act is called the National Qualifications Framework Amendment Act, 2019, and comes into operation on the date determined by the President by proclamation in the Gazette.

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media