Concerned Providers Interest Group – QCTO/SAQA/SETA/DHET

Services Seta Verifiers to the RESCUE!

This topic contains 1 reply, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Lynel Farrell 2 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Dear Skills Universe Members, I have to tell you what I have experienced in the last two days.  I have read so many negative comments about the Services Seta in the last couple of months/years and frankly speaking expected to attend a verification of hell.

I was contracted by a large firm to evaluate a Learnership going back to 2011, and believe me, it was no small learnership – there were 800 learners.  Various verifications were conducted and unfortunately each one had “nit picking” and beyond.  I was absolutely shocked when I had to go through all the historical papers to find that these poor learners were hanging in the system for years with no outcome.

The uploads of these learners were conducted annually, proof of this was evident on various emails, spreadsheets (hard and soft copies) – but still the system has failed us. 

Two Services Seta verifiers was scheduled for this visit.  They were on time both days, worked through lunch, tea and worked like slaves.  The only break they took, was a very quick bathroom break.  The first day they started at 8:30 and left at about 18:00, today they started at 8:00 and left at 17:00 (same process, working through lunch, tea, and heads down in these portfolios non-stop).

I have been in verifications for many years, in different positions (from a Provider, Seta, Employer) and I can tell you, that these two Verifiers were absolutely quality driven, asked questions pertaining to what is required, requested documents which was clearly stated in their report and did not once give an indication of “red tape” nonsense.  This is what a Verifier’s job is, to ensure that all requirements are met, evaluation is done in a respectable manner, questions are asked (and if you don’t understand, they explain exactly what they are looking for). 

To the Services Seta Verifiers:  Ms Nonhlanhla Xulu and Ms Ntombi Salman, thank you for showing me and this Company that quality verifications can be done, even though (in my personal opinion) you had so little support from SETA management and your IT department.  This is a clear indication that you are serious about what you are doing, ensuring that quality verifications can be done, no matter the difficulties. 

Give credit, when credit is due.  I will be forwarding a letter of thanks and complement the two of you to the QCTO Chief Directors, as this needs to be done!

Nanhlanhla and Ntombi, keep up the good work!

Share on Social Media

Arlene Walsh
    Participant

Dear Lynne

How necessary it is to acknowledge good work and a strong work ethic.

Arlene Walsh, Intelesi

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi Arlene, I will respond to your question.  It is very important to acknowledge good work (this is not seen much these days).  Clearly the industry have gone through a very bad patch, and positive feedback is always welcomed.  In order to change the negative vibe that is currently our reality, let’s try to get some balance, give credit when credit is due and attempt to make a positive change!

I am drafting a response to the QCTO regarding various issues and concerns that providers have submitted, and all of this is negative.  Even the QCTO will appreciate positive feedback.

I love positive feedback, when people work together, get acknowledgment for their good work, motivating and encouraging each other.

I think I have answered your question that you posed to Lynne.

Have a positive day!  Kind Regards, Lynel

Share on Social Media

Simone Naidoo
    Participant

Service Seta will be one of the best SETA going forward from now, we are very please with the follow up calls making sure verification gets done on time all Thanks to Sarona and Brian well done Guys

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi Simone, that is absolutely awesome news.  Wow, what a change from all the negative posts seen.  I really hope that the Services Seta continue to work towards improvements.  Correct me if I am wrong here, but I believe that Services Seta have the largest database of providers of all SETAs? 

Not easy to please so many providers at all.  But if you have good verifiers, a strong pro-active management team and a good IT system then there is hope for sure.  Let’s see if any other members picked up the positive change.

Any positive feedback is welcomed (it’s about time, hey?)

Share on Social Media

Gill Connellan
    Participant

Brilliant. I have also experienced a marked increase in excellent customer service and responsiveness from Services SETA staff members recently.

Share on Social Media

Pamela Huygen
    Participant

Once in a blue moon, a light shines through 🙂 Great stuff!

Almost gives you hope for the future with Services.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Thank you Gill, this is really amazing!  So, improvements are being experienced from various providers and individuals – this is such great news.  This is how it should be.  Okay, I know Rome wasn’t built in one day, but wow, wow, wow – this must be shared with members.  Good and positive feedback always makes one feel a little bit better with all the negative discussions, concerns and issues (on a daily basis).  Thank you so much Gill, I hope that more positive feedback will be shared – absolutely wonderful news indeed!!

Share on Social Media

I also had a positive experience last month on our M&E visit with Selwa Galese of Services Seta. She was professional, helpful and supportive. 

As a trained verifier, it is great to deal with people who are knowledgeable and ask the right questions.

Keep up the good work!

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Yes!  And there was light!  I don’t mind seeing the blue moon more often, hey?  Today I am motivated, just because of some positive feedback.  It just means that more learners are going through the process of certification – how wonderful if that!  Brilliant!

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi Tessa, that was my exact experience.  I am a Verifier, I keep current, as this is important to me.  The past couple of months have created such a negative impression which included the Verifiers, but this was clear, that these individuals conducted a quality verification – which I appreciated.  There was no way, they could BS me, as I know the requirements, legislation, stipulations, legal requirements and how it should be done.  I found these individuals Competent in their Verification, they were professional and did not once step over the line of red tape nonsense, or attempted to have a chip of authority nor aggresive behaviour.  This is how it should be done, professional, quality driven, knowledgeable, able to explain or request information in a professional manner and prioritise the importance of verifications – quality validation and evaluation of learner portfolios and achievements!

I would love to attend a verification per SETA (one each) – to see if other SETA Verifiers are conducting these verifications in the correct and professional manner.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

I get excited when there are positive feedback about Setas.  I might have to practice this dance in appreciation of improvements!

Share on Social Media

Jacqueline Klem
    Participant

Hi Lynel

I went to the Services SETA to ask them some questions on accreditation this afternoon – in regards to what is going to happen with companies accredited against skills programmes, as well as a query on an assessor registration that was turned down.

Their new offices are very good looking, professional and modern.

Their reception was excellent.

I was dealt with within minutes by a lady of the name of Gugu, who “recruited” another staff member to assist, went to call somebody from the assessor department who also arrived with another person in tow.

They were helpful, knowledgeable and I walked out with a smile and solid answers. First time ever.

I was really impressed.

They could not give me an answer on the skills programme accreditation, but did advice me on a plan of action which I will take forward.

What was sad, was the lack of information passed onto them from the QCTO and their own frustration with the new changes happening, while being left out of the loop.

A good SETA day for me.

Share on Social Media

Jacqueline Klem
    Participant

LoL

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi Jacqueline, thank you for the positive feedback.  It seems like they are really trying hard to improve their service delivery to providers. 

Regarding the lack of information passed onto the SETA from the QCTO, I find that very strange.  In my opinion it seems like the SETAs (well most of them) don’t want to work with the QCTO.  I have seen emails from the QCTO to one of the SETAs and the lack of response or should I say ignorance from the SETAs are shocking.  The SETAs are informed, but they don’t want to acknowledge or prepare for change (some are gearing up and working with the QCTO and some just don’t).  I am sure that this will be resolved soon and they will all work together.  The SETAs need to get more involved, and improve on communication skills, then you will see how quickly the negatives turn to positives!

Glad you had a good SETA day, this must be seen more often!

Share on Social Media

Kate Sani
    Participant

From first hand knowledge I concur that SETA’s receive little to no information, updates, etc from the QCTO. It is very demoralising for SETA staff who are giving it their all. Skills Universe is better informed by the QCTO than SETA’s.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi Kate, I am going to agree to disagree with that statement.  The only reason why Skills Universe is informed better, is that many members have taken the time to read gazettes, government notices and have taken it upon themselves to get the information – Members are pro-active, and so should the SETAs be for their providers.  I have seen many notices going to various SETAs, and their ignorance have placed them where they are now – not the other way around.

But in all fairness, each one have their own opinion and resources.

The mere fact that some SETA staff don’t even know about the DHET compulsory application is one reason that stands out like a thorn – it is in the public domain – all they have to do is keep their providers updated, which they are not.  There is a hand full of SETAs that are addressing these issues and working with the QCTO and they don’t complain, it is the SETAs that refuse to work with the QCTO whom is blaming the wrong Authority.

Share on Social Media

Kate Sani
    Participant

Dear Lynel,

My comments are neither opinion, nor come from a place of ignorance, or conjecture, or 2nd hand experience.  

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Dear Kate, then we have a good understanding!

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hey, hey it’s friday!!!!!!  At last, this week was just extra long (not sure why).  Let’s get down to business and look at what is important to us.  You are well aware that there are continues engagement with the QCTO with regards to the poor service delivery from the majority of SETAs.  We have addressed various issues and concerns, which have started the implementation of actions and solutions from the QCTO.  I need to draft a response to the QCTO Chief Directors again, after the KZN session which is next week (9th March).  In this submission I would like to address issues and concerns that is not satisfactory, however I would also like to include improvements that we are experiencing.  Let’s give credit where credit is due.

A nice balance between complaints and compliments would be awesome.  So let us look at compliments (not just issues and concerns) and submit this to the QCTO.  This will also give the QCTO an indication of how well their implementation and monitoring is progressing.  We like progress!  So, please do not hold back, let us hear the compliments and servicer improvements that you have experienced! 

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media