Concerned Providers Interest Group – QCTO/SAQA/SETA/DHET

Report on APPETD Cape Town Meeting on Provider Registration

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  sylvia hammond 2 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

The CEO of APPETD very kindly invited me to attend the meeting that they had arranged to provide private providers of occupational qualifications or part qualification with details of what is required for registration with DHET.
    In addition to accreditation with the QCTO or delegated Assessment Quality Partners, the private providers must now register with DHET.
    To be fully compliant providers must be accredited and registered.
    The full details of the Report are available in the Downloads section on the right of the Main page.
    We can then discuss further in this Forum.

Share on Social Media

Gill Connellan
    Participant

Hi Sylvia, thanks for the update and please forward any additional information. The new site has a really great look and feel. Well done!!

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

HI Gill, if you click on Downloads you will see at the top my 7 page report – you can Download the full Word document.
      I will update that section with any further info received.

Share on Social Media

Colette Tennison
    Participant

Hi Sylvia

Thanks for your detailed notes! I think it’s clear that DHET needs to put in a bit more work to understand the private provider environment.

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

Hi Colette – welcome to the new site – yes I do think that Cynthia will be able to provide the DHET with a great deal of information.
      Let’s hope that she can achieve some modifications for the small providers.
      Regards sylvia

Share on Social Media

Hi Sylvia

Firstly – thank you for the insightful notes! After a SETA workshop earlier this week I had many concerns (still do and hope to find proper discussions to settle my mind) about the new direction education and training is moving to in our country.

I’ve read your notes in detail and I am ‘glad’ that some of my own concerns is collectively felt, e.g. being a small private provider (in the final phases of being registered with a SETA) with the financial implied requirements as a bar set just too high to reach; as an Assessor & Moderator earning income from these skills; as a provider offering training only at the premises of the client as I don’t own a training venue; as a curriculum developer now to shift gears from a structured SAQA document as framework to less structured guidelines / frameworks to produce material; far-reached surety compliance requirements; and the list can go on.

I think what I am taking away from this summary sheet you shared, is the sense of urgency to get involved in these discussions and moving these processes forward – and even hopefully contribute to better outcomes…

After the SETA workshop I told a colleague my mind needs to settle after the discussions. I think your summary of the meeting assisted me to understand that my concerns are shared concerns, and that the unsettled feeling is a good place to be…

Thank you for your efforts!

Share on Social Media

Des Squire
    Participant

Great up date Sylvia. I am delighted the plight of the SMME provider has been acknowledged and will hopefully be addressed as indicated.
    It is of concern that Assessors and moderators can just be cast aside – not thought through? As I have previously said – the very people who can assist in creating employment are being overlooked once again. Since there is so much that needs to be sorted perhaps the powers that be should shelve the registration until such time as the problems and areas of concern have been thought through rectified.

Share on Social Media

does anyone know how I can get hold of the APPETD annual reports for the last few years? They don’t seem to be available on the website. Alternatively, I would like to know the number of APPETD members

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

Dear Jax,
      I don’t have that information – I would suggest trying Cynthia Reynders email address
      ceo@appetd.org.za
      Would be interested in the response.
      Regards sylvia

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media