Concerned Providers Interest Group – QCTO/SAQA/SETA/DHET

Registration with DHET – how complicated is it really?

This topic contains 141 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Lynel Farrell 5 days, 5 hours ago.

• Author

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Calling all members to share their experience and obstacles faced in the application for registration to DHET!

I would like to find out the following:

1. As a Private Provider, what was your experience and obstacles faced with the DHET application for registration?
    2. As a Private College, what was your experience and obstacles faced with the DHET application for registration?
    3. How was your feedback received?
    4. What surety did you submit (from whom and what did it cost?)
    5. What OHS Certificate did you submit (from whom and what did it cost?)
    6. How many individuals did it take to complete this application, and how long?
    7. What costs did you incur with this one application excluding the R500.00 that needs to be paid to DHET just for the application alone?
    8. Did you experience any “small print” / misunderstood any stipulations on the supporting documents required, that should be known to all to avoid remedial action which will cost an additional R500.00?
    9. Did you apply for registration to DHET in your personal capacity as a provider/college?  Or did you apply through an institution offering this service?  If so, please advise the name of this institution!

I am trying to benchmark various submissions, so that we can have some sort of idea of what the implications, costs, obstacles, choices are.  Any feedback on this will really help others. 

Should you for any reason not want to share this information in the public domain, but would like to contribute your experience in order to help others, please feel free to email this to me!!

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

I know this has only been posted today, but I am really sitting on the edge of my seat, waiting for some input here.  I am so interested in hearing (or should I say reading) any possible comment here.  Has no-one gone through this process?

Share on Social Media

Kerrin Badham
      Participant

Hi Lynel
      I have just heard about this today – via an emai from a training company. I think most people just don’t know! I am going to follow the process and will comment as I go along.

The list of compliance hurdles to jump over just keeps growing….
      Thanks
      Kerrin

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
        Participant

Hi Zalia
        That is great that you received an answer from the DHET. Well done!

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
        Participant

You only heard about this today????? Oh no!!!!

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Not sure if I should get worried here…………………….. no comments?  Did I just hit a wall, a no-go sign, a point of no return, a road block or a blond complication? 

Share on Social Media

Lynel, approximately 18 months ago I requested a SETA ETQA official provide me with pointers / advice on DHET application process – until today I have not received as much as a whisper.

Another official, on being asked the same question, told me not to worry too much about it “for now.” ;-(

In fact I was advised to hang in there for a while, because providers accredited for full qualifications might be registered automatically with DHET. Well, well…nada!

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
      Participant

Hi Corne, did you get any further advise from your SETA with regards to the DHET application for registration?

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

And I got a response!!!!!  Whoop, whoop!!  Thank you Corne, I thought that perhaps no-one saw my discussion that I posted.  Now I can breath.

Now, if I think about this.  18 months ago, would be a complete frustration.  If you ask the same question now to a Seta official, you could get the same response.  However, now is the time to ask the very same questions, and you should be given guidance.  Wanna try it out, and see if you come right?  Do you know anybody that has gone through this process? 

Share on Social Media

Nope.

It appear to be a sensitive issue, discussions preferrably mooted..the elephant in the room.

The confusion and uncertainty hurts…

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Don’t be discouraged Corne, I believe that for every problem there is a solution.  All we need here is one Private College and one Private Seta Accredited Provider that will share some of this experience with us.  Only require one of each (not the whole nation) – but I wonder if any of these individuals will share with us?  Let’s not give up, I won’t give up unless it is evident that this is a trap to close businesses and we find the “small print” or proof.  Someone will give us input, let’s remain positive and keep on asking until we get the answers that we seek.

Share on Social Media

Masilo Piet Mangena
    Participant

Hi Lynel 

please advise

Even if  we Accredited for  one qualification  ( 58761 ECD Level 4)  the same process must be followed to be registered with DHET?

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

I forgot to add, my apologies Corne.  I am sure my mediation is effecting my thinking today.  What do you mean by the elephant in the room?

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi Masilo, I wish I could give you better news, but I am afraid to say YES, you must complete the application for registration at DHET.  I am sorry for this bad news Masilo, but we are all looking at this huge document with all the requirements and starting to ask questions so that we all understand this correctly.

If you have accreditation at a Seta (no matter which one) you are forced to apply for registration at DHET – the only “providers” that is exempt is public colleges, as far as I know.

Anyone disagree?

Share on Social Media

DHET registration – the uncomfortable issue we now HAVE to face and discuss. can’t wish it away, regardless of any discomfort.

Thanks to your efforts there seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel, albeit a tiny flicker at present.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

We will work on the flicker and make it the biggest bright light (not utilising Eskom for this, if you know what I mean).  We will work with frustration, discomfort and confusion together.  If we continue to work together, we will find solutions and make it easier for everybody.  I just don’t seem to have it in me to give up – another skill that needs attention by me – but for now, I remain focused on solutions. 

If it comes to a point, whereby I see no solution, no future, no improvement, no sense of quality, I walk away (I don’t like u-turns)

Share on Social Media

Masilo Piet Mangena
    Participant

Thank you once again

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

You are most welcome Masilo!

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Dear Members, do you know of any Private Accredited Provider or Private College that completed this process (application for registration at DHET)?  We really need some input here!  This information will assist thousands of Providers that are forced to apply for registration.  Let’s get as much information as possible please!!!!

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

I battle to talk to myself at times – maybe it’s time to get onto the roof again with a bottle of whiskey (I won’t forget the straw this time), my neighbours think I am crazy – they might be right.

Okay, seriously we need some input here.

1. What is the definition of a Financial Surety Agreement (what does this look like, where do you get this)

2. If you run from home (administration), but only conduct learning interventions at Employer premises, what will the OHS Audit Report look like?????

3. Do you know of any private accredited provider(s)/College(s) that have applied and succeeded in their application for registration to DHET??

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Whilst having a fantastic conversation with myself and the walls, I received the following from DHET:

The private providers that need to register either as private higher education institutions or private colleges, are those that were offering qualifications or part qualifications registered on the OQSF. The new registration requirements contained in Communique 1 of 2016 do not apply to those private higher education institutions and/or private colleges and private skills development providers which are already registered with the DHET, by virtue of the fact that they are accredited to offer qualifications registered on the HEQSF of the CHE or the GENFETQSF of Umalusi.

They are advised to go to the DHET website and to apply as per the process outlined on the website.

See how easy it is????  Piece of Cake …………………………….NOT

The what, the who and the where, again what?  I don’t speak foreign.  The above is complicated for me.  Anybody want to give me an easy explanation here?

Share on Social Media

Des Squire
    Participant

The easiest thing to do is to just pack it in and become another SMME put out of business due to red tape and bureaucracy. More unemployed to add to the numbers.

What the above means to me is that “if you are already registered with DHET or Umalusi there is no need to re-register, but if you are not registered with either then you must register” QED – ha ha ha. 

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Thanks Des, I think I must give up in getting answers and solutions, maybe this is my sign to pack up …………… makes sense

Share on Social Media

Des Squire
    Participant

God bless your patience is all I can say. No – keep up the good work but stay calm.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Thanks Des, I am trying.  I don’t think I have ever failed myself (ever), but this could be the first time in my life.  I do believe that I learn from my mistakes, and this could be the biggest mistake I have ever made, looking for solutions and answers for others.  Is the hours I put in worth it?  Is the continuous follow ups and lenghty reports to authorities worth it?  The constant battle to fight for providers and learners, is it worth it? 

The question will remain:  what will happen, if I completely give up, turn around and walk away?

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Okay, before I wave my white flag, there is one final attempt to get the answers, if by any chance, I fail again – there will be no choice other than to apply and seek relief at the Public Protector – where else will there be assistance?  Where else do we look for answers in order to comply?  Where else do we get clarification on requirements that we have never seen before which will financially close providers down ?  I am open to reporting lines, by all means.  Assist me in the correct direction, as my wheels are flat, engine burnt out, ran out of petrol, water, oil the works.

Where do we go from here?

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Reply by Rudolf Hugo van Rooyen 28 minutes ago Delete

We have been registered with the DHET since 2009 and for once, we made the right decision not to de register at the time that they prompted us to. Now it seem that it works to our benefit! At the time of application there was only three contentious issues namely:
    – OHS compliance certificate on our premises, which we duly did, so no further problems
    -Business Plan which included a three year financial forecast- which we did with no problems.No requirement for a bank /auditor to certify this at the time
    – Proof that the company had sufficient cash in the bank as a guarantee against learners, in the event of e.g. bankruptcy. When we explained that , as a provider, training is beforehand funded by institutions( like the setas or private companies) so there was no risk to learners. This was accepted.
    Since then , we had monitoring visits and surveys on an annual basis and there as never any further problems.
    Hope this helps.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi Rudolf, this I find very interesting.  So there have been additional stipulations put forward, which is totally different to the stipulations seen/experienced in 2009.  I understand that, as the years go by, amendments are made for improvements – totally understand this concept.  The main concern now is the:

• OHS Certificate which could be anything from R8000.00 and above (which only lasts 12 months). 
    • Learner Data (is this current learner data, or all data including historical learner data)
    • Financial Surety Agreement – will Public Liability Insurance be accepted?
    • Accreditation Report – will an Accreditation Certificate be accepted or do they require the Seta to issue Providers with an Accreditation Report?

It seems that there is “small fine print” somewhere, but I would like to be educated on these points, so any input on the above points will be highly appreciated.

Share on Social Media

Ilana Smit
    Participant

Hi Lynn, Sorry I have been out of office.

I was involved in the DHET application at my previous employment and I was responsible to maintain the accreditation.  My comments are as follows:

2.  I found the initial application relatively easy – just need to ensure that the information provided is comprehensive.  The application guideline provides sufficient information to complete the application.

3.  All feedback was provided via email and then with post.

4.  We banked with Standard Bank and requested the Business Consultant to assist us with a Surety.  We then paid the money over to STD Bank, who still paid us interest for the invested monies.  At that time we paid a surety of R70 000.00.

5.  The OHS Certificate was a bit of a challenge as DHET does not just accept any Safety auditor (well at that stage) and they have to be registered.  Unfortunately I have misplaced my contact but am busy looking for him. We paid R3 500.00 each year for the audit and certificate.

6.  It was the responsibility on one person, me, and it took me a couple of weeks to compile and get all the documentation together.

7.  The other costs was the surety and the HS Auditor

8.  The HS Auditor and the learner prospectus  is very important.

9.  Applied in our personal capacity.

Registered providers must submit an Annual Report at the beginning of each year, Annual Report is submitted in hard copy and if I remember correctly consists of Audited Statements, OHS Certificate etc.  They provide a form to be completed.

Registered providers must also complete a survey at the end of each year to report learners trained and ETD staff.

Hope this helps

Ilana

Share on Social Media

Ilana Smit
    Participant

Hi

1.  We got our Surety / Guarantee from Standard Bank.

2.  Your premises must still be audited even if it is only an office.  They want to see HS signage, escape routes, safety plan etc.  The Auditor will help to set up and usually provides all documentation.

3.  Yes, I worked for a training company that had DHET registration up until 2016 when I left the company. 

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Houston we have lift off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Ilana, thank you so much for your input.

Wow, R70 000-00 – most providers won’t be able to secure that amount (unless I am completely wrong) – but this is a good start for the surety issue – thank you.

Weeks to complete and obtain all the documents – this is very expensive.  Here I would take your salary divided into days, then times it by the number of weeks you worked on it – wow – very expensive indeed.  Most providers are small, and cannot afford to take one person to work on this application weeks on end.  Wow

So all in all, it can be anything from R100 000 to R200 000, and then the yearly cost of about R10 000 give or take

Oh, my word ………………………. speechless.  To blond to take this all in, wow.  This is devastating news, or am I making a mountain of a ant hill?

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Ilana, thank you so much for all this information.  Scary, but at least we found someone that was prepared to share some of the experience in the application to DHET with us.  Thank you so much.

Share on Social Media

Ilana Smit
    Participant

Hi

1. Yes the OHS Certificate is issued each year – there are auditors that are cheaper.

2. Learner data is updated to DHET each year, current includes race, age, disabilities etc

3. I doubt that public liability will be accepted as the Surety is in place should the provider close down and the leaner fees have to be paid back.

4. The valid SETA provider accreditation letter that specifies qualifications is accepted. Must be valid.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Thanks Ilana, this is starting to move into a direction of clarity.  You have given me more input than DHET, thank you so much for taking the time to give input.  You are my star!!!

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hookaai stop the lorrie right here.  Okay, so if we get surety from a bank for: let’s say R70 000.00 (the positive side of this, is that the money is secured in a bank of your choice, you can get interest, thus your money pot grows).  My logical thinking might not be correct here….. so jump in and stop me any time.  If you are a very lucky provider, that can put about 200 learners a year through your books, then a R70 000 will not be sufficient at all.  How do you calculate the amount that is needed for your business surety?  Any maths gurus here, that can help me with this?  Do you take a percentage of the amount of learners that you train on a yearly basis, take 10% of the number, add the Rand amount which it will cost to give a refund to the learners (10% of annualy number of learners)??  Maybe I am confusing myself here, what is your thoughts on this?

What happens if you only deal in Learnerships funded by SETAs?

Share on Social Media

Ilana Smit
    Participant

Remember this the Surety is to cover learners on a qualification.  We took the cost of the qualification x the number of learners we expected to enroll on the qualification.

The only reason it took so long was

a) We had to find a OHS auditor and ended up doing the exercise twice as the original auditor did not have the correct registrations and credentials.  We also had to implements some things before he issued the certificate.  i.e safety signs, safety appointments, evacualtion plans etc.

b) The learner brochure / prospectus took us some time to compile.

Its not that bad 🙂

Share on Social Media

Ilana Smit
    Participant

Hi

I contacted DHET and received the following in a mail pertaining to the Surety.

“Please be advised that financial surety must be calculated based on the estimated number of students and the amount they will be paying.”

I doubt this includes learnerships as they are funded learners.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Thanks again Ilana.  I fully agree with you, that OHS Auditors must be the ones that are authorised to issue the OHS Certificate – again, providers must ensure that they are not exposed to the possible incorrect auditors – this could cost more than double – watch out, do your homework before paying the wrong auditor.

For smaller providers, surety could be okay to arrange, as they have a small amount of learners.  The surety is only based on a full qualification, what happens to the providers that offer skills programmes and short courses only?  Are they to do the same?

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Ilana, now I am 100% jealous.  How did you get that response, as I have been trying for some time to get clarification with no results nor clarification.  Will you be so kind to share your contact with me, please.

Share on Social Media

Louis Nel
    Participant

Hi Ilana.

I have 2 questions I hope you will be able to assist us with.
    1. All our learners are funded for all programmes(Companies pay for their workers). Does it mean that surety is not applicable in this instance?
    2. We only train on the clients’ premises.We have 630 active clients(Training sites)Surely DHET cannot be expecting OHS and details for all these?Will a OHS for each of our regional offices suffice?

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Louis, you got my mind running like a race horse now!!!!  Hold it, wait a bit.  A light bulb just came on.  Why must Surety be given to protect the learners, when most private providers only get paid for the work done, when the training is complete?  thousands of providers train at the premises of the Employer, does this mean that the Employer (your Clientsssssssss) must issue you with all the OHS Certificates at all their training departments nationwide……………  This is huge?

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

90% of learners come for Employers (our clients) – the learners do not pay for their studies, the Employer (your client) does, which in turn assist the Employer with their BBBEE scores

Am I missing a small print somewhere, please assist

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Image 630 x R3500 ……………… oh my goodness it equals to …………… erm ………….. a lot!!

Share on Social Media

Ilana Smit
    Participant

Hi Louis

1.  The qualifications we were running were funded by Corporate clients but the principle remains the same. As if the company closes then the tuition fees need to be refunded either to learners or company. Surety will be applicable. It is also an requirement of the QCTO registration.

2. We also trained at client premises. The OHS audit was for the offices, we had a OHS checklist which was completed at the training venue each time which we trained. Yes OHS for each office will suffice.

Share on Social Media

Ilana Smit
    Participant

Remember DHET is only interested in qualifications not the learner put through on skills programmes.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

This reminds me of a TV commercial that I haven’t seen in years.  It’s a furniture removal company (can’t remember the name – could be Stuttaford) and the song playing on the advert is something like:  there goes my only possession, there goes my everything (as the words are sung, the truck falls to the side, and all the goods go crashing down).

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Ilana is this documented?  Where can I get this?  Does this mean, that if a provider is only offerring skills programmes and short courses (not full qualifications) they don’t have to register?  You see this is where it gets complicated.  There are providers that conduct the fundamentals, but not the core or electives and visa versa – so where does these providers fit in?  There is a dark tunnel ahead for the providers only offerring skills programmes and to my understanding they won’t even be looked at going the QCTO route. 

This comes again as a clear picture, if you don’t offer full qualifications your time is up, and you are out of business – surely we need to address this?  This cannot be allowed

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

If I may add into this conversation regarding full qualifications.
    There are many companies which require trained staff to comply with a range of different standards – food safety is just one example in food manufacturing. To my knowledge none of these requirements are full qualifications, although some may form part of a qualification.
    There is a clear danger of having educationalists creating all these requirements reqarding qualifications and trainers – without an understanding of the requirements of industry and employers.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Sylvia, you may add anything, anytime.  Always valuable, thank you.  You are spot on with this, and this is a huge concern.  It seems that workplace experience, what industry wants, what Employers require (nationwide) is not looked at, at all.  This is the problem when regulations and stipulations are written by people that have never worked within the industry, no experience, and no regard to the economy, the force of unemployment.

It’s like the Assessor and Moderator issue – this will no longer be required on the Occupational Qualifications – so how do you put a standard to that?  Any Tom, Dick and Harry can assess and moderate full occupational qualifications not having proof of Assessor/Moderator status?  This seems a bit strange, wrong.  It doesn’t mean if you are qualified with experience as a “Cheff” that you have the ability to assess and moderate, give developmental feedback to learners of all ages, races, culture – Assessors and Moderators have gone through training, learned how to deal with different individuals and are able to pick up special needs – will this all be lost?

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Note: you do not have to be accredited by the QCTO, to apply for registration to DHET.  This needs to be very clear.  The DHET application for registration is compulsory!!!!

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Dear Members, some thought on this.  Let’s make use of our concerns, note down some questions, and I will add this to the list of questions that providers will ask the QCTO next week.  If you do not ask questions, we will be stranded for good.  All we need is clarity, explanations and understanding of all the requirements.  It is compulsory, so we need to adhere to the requirements, stipulations, rules and regulations, however, we need to understand the application for registration. 

Whilst you are thinking about this application and noting down your questions (which is CRUCIAL), please post them here in this discussion so that we can keep track of all questions.  Who knows, maybe we can get answers quickly.  In the meantime I am attempting to get some clarification from DHET, which I will share with you.

I cannot do this alone, so I am requesting your support and involvement.

Share on Social Media

Ilana Smit
    Participant

Hi, last week a training provider contacted DHET to confirm registration and they were told that if you are with a SETA you don’t have to register.  I spoke to DHET and they said you have to register.  I would love DHET to decide what they want!!!!! I know this has nothing to do with the QCTO….

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Thanks Ilana.  Now to answer this, and being honest.  I have learned over the years that you never, ever phone an Authority for factual information (never, ever).  You always ensure you do this in writing.  If I phone DHET now, and advise that this was said, they will laugh at me.  They will deny it and will never give the benefit of the doubt on hearsay.  If you do not have evidence and cannot prove this, you are in for a big surprise.  The Joint Communication 1 of 2016 clearly indicate a deadline, what it doesn’t give us, is what will happen to accredited SETA providers, if they don’t adhere to this application for registration – this is a grey area that needs to be explored.  So, I welcome any member, authority to give factual input and evidence.  We have to be careful that we do not fall into a trap, this could mean the end of private providers, a fight we will lose.  This cannot be allowed, we have to get solutions, factual information, clarity and explanations.  We do have the right to information, and this is what we are doing.

Another question I have (not being a provider, so I am in a position whereby I am blocked from Setas currently) – is there any Setas currently addressing this compulsory registration to their providers?  Are the Setas getting involved and educating their providers??  Please share, so that we can at least thank those Setas getting involved and showing commitment to providers.

The QCTO have clearly stated that this is compulsory and the deadline is June 2017, and they confirmed that you do not have to have accreditation at the QCTO to apply for registration at DHET.  If you are a private provider (not public) then it is compulsory.

We have questioned the number of applications, and if DHET have the capacity to deal with the thousands of applications, there is no feedback on that.  I guess you do not question their capability, but rather adhere and do as is stipulated. 

Share on Social Media

Kerrin Badham
      Participant

I have emailed MICT SETA to get clarity as to whether we as a skills provider need to register with the DHET if we are not doing full qualifications. Awaiting response.
      Tx
      Kerrin

Share on Social Media

Louis Nel
    Participant

Thank you very much Ilana. This helps a lot!

Share on Social Media

Ilana Smit
    Participant

Noted, I will check with my SETA, we have not received any official communication

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Thank you Ilana, this will be interesting.  Is there any other members that are willing to request the same at their Seta?  This will be very valuable to all.

Should you, by any chance not receive favorable feedback, or the answer: We don’t know, phone DHET for this – don’t be discouraged.  Many Setas are also not sure, so let’s work on this together.  We will get the information we need, but it takes a bit of time and loads of patience!!

Share on Social Media

siphiwe Tshuma
    Participant

Good day

For those who are registered with CETA, they are having sessions with providers , see attchment. Im sure they will tell us what to do regarding the registration with DHET. Im still struggling with business plan figures as well as the OHS certificate.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi Simphiwe, thank you for this.  I doubt that the DHET application for registration will be discussed, but it would be very valuable.  The focus on these stakeholder sessions from CETA is:

1. ATR/WSP Compilation and Submission for 2017

2. Accreditation Processes (NQF Programmes and Trades)

3. Certification Processes (NQF Programmes and Trades)

4. CETA Project Management Model

Currently the Setas are very quiet with regards to the compulsory application for registration to DHET.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hey Ilana, did you get any joy/information/guidance?  Just following up, as it seems that we might have reached dead-lock again.

Share on Social Media

Ilana Smit
    Participant

Hi, the ETQA contact at the SETA I work with is not aware of these developments, he has sent my email to relevant people within the SETA for more information.  I will advise as soon as I get feedback.  Umaluzi has also not responded to me yet either. 

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Thanks Ilana.  I was expecting exactly just that!!!!!  We must attempt to stay ahead no matter what.  I can only but shake my head ………………..

I hope they do a follow up and get back to you!!

Share on Social Media

Ilana Smit
    Participant

Oh well, at least we can get them informed which will help providers who are not on this site…….

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi Ilana, I absolutely agree with you 100%.  I wish that all Training Providers would register with Skills Universe, they will benefit so much.  Thank you once again

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

The following information was found on the Youth Connect Website: posted 15th January 2017 which reads:

Dear students: Beware of bogus colleges

Students looking to enrol at tertiary institutions this year have been warned to be on the lookout for bogus colleges.

According to the department of higher education, 610 178 grade 12 learners wrote their final exams last year with only 197 400 accepted into universities across the country.

This leaves 412 778 prospective students desperately seeking placement, thereby making them easy pray for scammers.

“Citizens must ensure that institutions of higher learning are registered with government to avoid victimisation.”

In a statement, the department said it planned to intensify its fight against bogus institutions of higher learning.

“Many unsuspecting South Africans have fallen victim to these illegally operating institutions.”

During a press conference on Thursday, Minister of Higher Education and Training Blade Nzimande cautioned would-be university students to only register with accredited colleges recognised by SETAs under the auspices of the Quality Council for Trades and Occupations.

“Prospective students must thoroughly check the accredited programmes a college is permitted to offer. Some fall prey to the colleges that offer additional unaccredited programmes (which is a crime).”

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

This gives motivation with regards to the compulsory application for registration to DHET.  It seems that these bogus institutions/colleges have really had a big inpack and have forced DHET to step in, put stipulations in place, and secure future students.  Now the puzzle is coming together.  The more we look at what is going on around us, the more these stipulations and compulsory requirements make sense.  I will post more articles that I find, to give you piece of mind, that these requirements are for a good reason.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

More input from DHET received (and more to come – watch this space)

Read Communique 1 of 2016 very carefully.

The requirement in Communique 1 of 2016 applies to private education and training providers and skills development providers, irrespective of size (small, medium, large) to register with the DHET, if they are offering any OQSF qualifications or part qualifications registered on the NQF and quality assured by the QCTO. If you check the National Learners’ Records Database you can search for the QCTO, then you will have a list of all the qualifications for which the QCTO is responsible. The sub-framework over which the QCTO has quality assurance jurisdiction is called the Occupational Qualifications Sub-framework (OQSF).

Private Education and training providers which offer qualifications or part qualifications registered on the HEQSF of the CHE or on the GENFETQSF of Umalusi will already be registered with DHET, and therefore do not have to be registered again.

The registration forms which the private education and training providers (including skills development providers) need to complete, can be found on the DHET website, at http://www.dhet.gov.za, as indicated in the Communique.

The SETA’s currently have a delegated quality assurance function, and the QCTO refers to them as AQPs, but the QCTO is the recognised and legislated Quality Council.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Somehow, the confusion of a blond is coming into play ………………erm, what?

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

NQF legislation to tighten on education, training providers, verification of qualifications 19 January 2017

dhet green tickssmallThe Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) will soon invite public comment on important amendments to the draft National Qualifications Framework (NQF) Amendment Bill.

The bill, which was published in November 2016, will particularly affect education and training providers and employers in the reporting of misrepresented qualifications, and will impact upon private education providers which will need to be registered.

The amendments to nine sections of the existing National Qualifications Framework Act 67of 2008 will help tighten up controls on qualifications awarded by institutions, especially non-registered private providers. The bill will ensure qualifications are in line with the NQF, and support the clamp down on fraudulent qualifications.

The provisions give more powers to the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA) to evaluate and verify qualifications of employees, members of Boards and Councils, and establish registers of fraudulent and misrepresented qualifications reported by institutions or employers.

The provisions will also compel all private providers of education and training to be registered with the Department and to be accredited by one of the three quality councils.

The new law also will oblige employers to refer qualifications of employees to SAQA for validation and verification, and for a separate register for professional designations.

It will also provide for the reformulation of evaluation criteria for foreign qualifications.

The comments may be made by post to Private Bag X174 Pretoria 0001 for the attention of Advocate E Boshoff, or by email to boshoff.e@dhet.gov.za or by fax to (012) 324 8230.

The draft amendments can be viewed here: (http://www.gov.za/files/40430_gon1430.pdf” target=”_blank”>http://www.gov.za/sites/http://www.gov.za/files/40430_gon1430.pdf)

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

So, which is which, and what is what, and I need someone to paint me a picture – back to 101 basics – explain this to me as if I am in Grade 1, I will appreciate it!

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

I am really serious here, I need an explanation as if I am new in the ETD field (take into consideration that I am blond)

Share on Social Media

Ilana Smit
    Participant

Oh wow… thanks will have a look at this. Your link doesn’t work though

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Thank you Ilana, I am like a chicken without a head running around in all directions.  I don’t like grey areas – it is or it is NOT.  It is Yes or No.  But clearly I have fallen in Kimberley-se-gat and need someone to rescue me

Share on Social Media

Ilana Smit
    Participant

Here is the Draft NQF Bill. 

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi Ilana, thank you.  I am going to print, get out all my highlighters, read this 10 times and revert back (should I still be confused – not difficult to do that with me).  But don’t worry, I am okay with that!!

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

And so I have read it, over and over again.  It states in one of the amendments: Every private education institution or private provider MUST be registered and accredited to offer qualifications or part-qualifications contemplated in subsection (2) or ANY COMPONENT thereof.

Okay, so the question now is???  I don’t comprehend, no idea.  Willing to go back to primary school.

Share on Social Media

Ilana Smit
    Participant

Yes, this is also what I see, but I also want to work through it when I can focus. Here it also states ALL providers involved in education and it looks as if it is not just for qualification….

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

That is what I see?  Okay, I am off to the salon, going to first change from blond to red/brown/black – get back, read again and see if that works.  Wish me luck!

Share on Social Media

Nigel Shipston
    Participant

I think one must consider all of this in a transitional light.

Yes, the NQF Act requires “Every private education institution or private provider MUST be registered and accredited to offer qualifications or part-qualifications contemplated in subsection (2) or ANY COMPONENT thereof.” However, it also requires that all providers must be accredited with one of the Quality Councils (QCTO, Umalusi or CHE). As most providers are still only accredited with SETA’s, the requirements of the DHET registration do not apply until such time as there is a Qualification or part qualification registered in the Occupational Qualifications Sub Framework for which they can apply for accreditation with QCTO. On applying for accreditation with QCTO, according to the letter received from QCTO with JC1 2016, “The QCTO will inform prospective SDP’s from now onwards to apply for Registration to DHET simultaneously as they apply for accreditation with QCTO>”

The Joint Communique clearly refers to SDP’s offering qualifications or part qualifications as listed in the OQSF. The deadline set of end June 2017 is only for those providers (SDP’s) who are already accredited with QCTO for OQSF qualifications/part qualifications. All SETA accredited providers will only be subject to the DHET registration once they migrate to the QCTO accreditation for an OQSF listed qualification/part qualification.

So it is not to say that current SETA accredited training providers will not require DHET registration, as they migrate to QCTO accreditation this will be a requirement. However, they are not subject to the end of June 2017 deadline, this is only for current QCTO accredited private providers who have not yet registered with DHET.

Share on Social Media

Des Squire
    Participant

Note a provider  must be registered with one of the three Quality councils – I quote – “The provisions will also compel all private providers of education and training to be registered with the Department and to be accredited by one of the three quality councils”.

QCTO is one such council and they have delegated the task of registering/accrediting providers to the SETA’s.????? 

Share on Social Media

Nigel Shipston
    Participant

Aye, which according to the registrar, puts us right back into the end of June 2017 deadline!!!!

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Concur, confirmed, that is correct!  Okay,so whether you are accredited at a SETA or the QCTO or both, it is compulsory to register at the DHET by the end of June 2017.  Case Closed

Share on Social Media

Des Squire
    Participant

But to put a spanner in the works In my opinion it only applies to the “Skills Providers who are offering the new Occupational or workplace qualifications” and or part qualifications. 

On the QCTO web site there is a list of 6 different skills development providers and one of these is providers offering occupational qualification. There are 70 such provider already registered. If we then look at the registered occupational qualifications  there are not more than about 110 registered across all sectors.

Not saying this is correct – merely expressing my opinion – I am waiting for some SETA CEO’s and the Ministers office to respond to my query. Confusion reigns and will continue to do so. My advice is do not rush into anything until someone can give a clear factual explanation of what is correct 

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

The DHET Registrar have confirmed the compulsory registration.  You are more than welcome to question them and get peace of mind.  All private providers that offer full or part qualifications whom are accredited with a Seta, must register.  It is compulsory.

Share on Social Media

Nigel Shipston
    Participant

Hi Des, we have a direct reply from the Registrar at DHET who advises that this is the case – all private training providers, SETA or QCTO accredited, must apply before end June 2017.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Concur, yes, this is true.  Thank you Nigel.

Share on Social Media

Des Squire
    Participant

Ok then that make it a fact which I can accept. Thank you Lynel and Nigel. have a lovely weekend and Lynel hope the hair change is not too much. Just don’t go red.

Share on Social Media

Kate Sani
    Participant

Joint Communique 1 of 2016 was gazetted today. See attached.

As a result of discussions with the DHET, the following applies to private training providers:

1. Providers offering only the LEGACY qualifications and/or part qualifications do not need to apply for accreditation with the QCTO if they are currently accredited by a SETA. Providers accredited with a SETA are deemed to be accredited by the QCTO for LEGACY qualifications / part qualifications.

However, a provider who wishes to offer / is offering the NEW QCTO qualifications, must be accredited directly with the QCTO, and thus must apply directly to the QCTO for such accreditation.

2. All private training providers must register with the DHET irrespective of whether the provider is offering the LEGACY qualifications or the NEW qualifications. (Providers offering only LEGACY qualifications/part qualifications MUST register with DHET; Providers offering the NEW QCTO qualifications MUST register with DHET; Providers offering both LEGACY and NEW qualifications/part qualifications must register with DHET).
    See point 3.2. of the gazette regarding the application & registration process and web links to the forms.

3. Applications must be submitted to DHET by 30 June 2017.

4. Registrations must be completed by the provider by 01 January 2018.

Hope this helps clarify.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Yes, yes and YES!!!!  Thank you Kate for the attached.  Much appreciated.  It is clear, to the point, no misunderstanding, it is compulsory.  thanks for this!!!!

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Thank you so much Des.  I made a U-turn at the salon as I got the message load and clear – so I wasn’t that blond after all this confusion.  I think my husband would’ve left me ……………… Not.

At least we have a clear understanding, Kate also added the government gazette that confirms what providers must adhere too (thank you Kate).  Now we can move on, adhere to the stipulations, and continue towards best practice in the ETD industry!!

Have a good weekend Des, and thank you!

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Dear Members, if you are worried about this application and not sure how to tackle this, by all means go to:

http://www.jc1-2016.com

We will assist and get you through this process.  It has taken months of research but we have reached the solutions, studied the requirements, engaged with DHET and various Authorities.  It’s your choice to either go through this yourself or let us do this for you, where you will have peace of mind.  Thank you for your support, it is appreciated. 

Share on Social Media

Ilana Smit
    Participant

Wow…. I dare not to check in on this discussion for a couple  of days and miss all the fun……

Share on Social Media

Ilana Smit
    Participant

Hi do we have the new application forms yet?

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi Ilana, this is not going to happen this year.  I have in fact requested that the DHET change the application form, but this is not going to happen. I have also attempted to see if this application cannot be done online, but this is only scheduled for 2019.

So, it is manual input, printing, compile, bind, submit to the DHET office 

Share on Social Media

Ilana Smit
    Participant

Do we know about how to deal with the Umaluzi registration that is in the current form.  My Umaluzi contact has gone silent……

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi Ilana, I am really sorry to do this to you, but I am not understanding your question here.  Can you please give me some more meat to work with ………….

Share on Social Media

Ilana Smit
    Participant

OK I quote from the Guidelines to complete the DHET application form Page 29 Section I Quality Assurance: “In order to finalise the evaluation of an application for registration as a private FET college, the Registrar must consider the advise of Umalusi on the applicants’ application for accreditation.  Therefore, on lodging an application for registration, an applicant is also required to submit to Umalusi an application for accreditation….

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

That is what this specifid guideline says.  The guideline and application form will not be changed/amended until 2019 – DHET is well aware that the private providers accredited with the SETAs do not have to apply for accreditation at Umalusi.  The completion of the application for registration to the DHET remains compulsory.

Share on Social Media

Ilana Smit
    Participant

Thanks

Share on Social Media

Ilana Smit
    Participant

TETA has now sent the following communication out to their providers

“As per the joint communique 1 of August 2016 all Skills Development Providers Accredited that offer Occupational Qualification or Part Qualifications (skills programmes, irrespective of whether is a standalone unit standards) on the Occupational Qualifications Sub framework; by law are required to register with the Department of Higher Education and Training. Please note that this is not negotiable nor optional and people can not plead ignorant to this. “

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Amen!  And then I have been receiving emails and phone calls telling me I am crazy and delusional!!!  I read the government gazettes, and I don’t like being the last one to hear what is stipulations, regulations!!!!!

Thanks Ilana, I hope those whom have said I am crazy will swallow their words.

Share on Social Media

Ilana Smit
    Participant

You are not crazy just proactive. Nobody believed me either.  I have received 2 emails from TETA as I have been pushing them to respond to my enquiry with regards to the DHET registration and they both say the same thing. I just wanted them to commit!!!! Hopefully the other SETA’s will now follow.

Thank you for your efforts, you have helped me stay focused on this….

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Ilana you are most welcome.  I am not going to post on the 1st July 2017, I told you so (I hate it) – if Providers are turning a blind eye on this compulsory stipulation to meet the deadline, I am afraid that it will be bad news – I cannot express my concern more at this moment.  I hope that the word gets out there, and blerrie quick!!!!!!!!

Let’s try to stay current as much as possible.  Together we can make a difference.  I am sorry for all the posts, but as you have now seen, it is crucial and very important.

Now, for the people that did not believe you – well, you can take a horse to the water hey?

Share on Social Media

Nigel Shipston
    Participant

Better a month late than never! And as for the grammar? How have we tolerated this sub-standard environment for so long?

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Agree my grammar sucks.

Share on Social Media

Nigel Shipston
    Participant

TETA Sister, not you!

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Whahahaha but Nigel I can not understand lololol – sorry, I am like for real, falling of my chair.  I somehow needed that!!

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

An important comment, of a very reliable expert Member was received on a different discussion which needs to be shared:

1. The June deadline relates to registration with the Department of Higher Education and Training, not the QCTO. You only need to apply for accreditation with the QCTO if you intend to offer one of the 138 new occupational certificates.

2. If you fail to submit your registration application with DHET by June 2017 then the following will most probably happen:

a) You could be prosecuted by DHET for operating without registration and listed as a ‘bogus college’ and/or noted by SAQA on its register for misrepresentation.

b) Although this has not happened yet, the QCTO and DHET may inform the SETAs (and other QAPs for that matter) to verify registration of all accredited providers and implement a corrective action process to ensure registration is completed as a matter of urgency.

Share on Social Media

Ilana Smit
    Participant

I’m wondering how long they are going to take to process all the application forms…

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Well, this we were thinking about too.  The fact that this compulsory stipulation is not reaching all the providers, makes one wonder? We hope that the SETAs will communicate this to all their providers – and soon!  The DHET will ensure capacity, but with the lack of notice and getting providers informed, there is no need to get additional capacity as yet or at all.  We need to share this, even if it is your competition or enemy – let’s show up in the numbers that they are not expecting. 

Good point Ilana!

Share on Social Media

Ilana Smit
    Participant

Well if that is the case the quicker providers submit the better!

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

For sure.  Look at the application, go through the guidelines, carefully go through the list of supporting documents that must be submitted.  Don’t slap it together!  Caution: if you do not submit what is required, you will be requested to amend your application and forward what is needed – there is an additional fee for amendments of R500 – again, I recommend that this application gets the time it deserves – do it right the first time!

Thanks Ilana, let’s hope that this is communicated to everyone in good time!

Share on Social Media

Cornea Bruyns
    Participant

they have a Jan2018 deadline at DHET…(LOL)

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

It is either going to be completed or not (will be watching with my popcorn)

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Good morning skills-universe members
    I have just received the following message important to the Western Cape and KZN members.

APPETD will have their information session on Registration with the DHET in:
    Cape Town on the 27 March at 12 APOSTLES Hotel and
    KwaZulu Natal on the 10th March at Beverly Hills Hotel.

Dr Essack, Ms Joyce Mashabela, and Ms Motloi from HE, QCTO, FET Directorate respectively have confirmed their attendance to answer questions relating to topic.
    This will be a good chance to attend, meet, and ask questions.

Share on Social Media

Anonymous

Hi Sylvia!

Do you know if non-member may attend the sessions and how we can go about registering?

Also – do you think it’s beneficial as a provider to join the appetd?

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Hi Liezl,

Yes, I do know that non-members were able to attend in Gauteng – the fee was just a bit higher.

On joining, unfortunately I am not a provider so can’t comment on that.  I suggest you ask others who are members to indicate the benefits they receive.

I can say that in terms of the Skills Development Act APPETD has representation on the National Skills Authority, so I would suggest that is a benefit as it is a chance to influence policy. 

Share on Social Media

Anonymous

Thank you for this Sylvia,

I’ll have a chat with some-one if i come across a member.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi Liezl, have you tried the APPETD website?  I am not sure, but there could be a list of members there – and maybe you know one of them in the list that you can chat to.  I am also not a provider, so I cannot help you.  Don’t have a clue how much the membership costs, is it monthly, quarterly, annually – price and so forth.  I am sure that someone will be able to assist you and give you the information that you need!

Share on Social Media

Cornea Bruyns
    Participant

Hi guys

I attended the workshop in JHB. Not all our questions were answered even though the CEO of QCTO was there.

There was a very informative presentation on the registration and accreditation. Thereafter a Dr. went through the application form itself. This was not so much helpful as it was highlighted that small providers do not fit into the system and I have to say my hart was jumping out of its cage by the time we left.

Of all the attendees I think only 2-3 were small providers so I think that the majority of the people that attended got a lot of helpful information.

Unfortunately those not inside the FET parameters e.g. a non profit organization with a training wing and us small providers clearly had hart palpitations by the end of the second session.

Kim and the other personnel from APPEDT took our concerns and may have gotten more answers since the workshop.

I am of the opinion that if anybody has the opportunity to attend either of the other workshops and raise the same questions we had, it will be great, perhaps someone will sit up and listen.

mkt@appetd.org.za you may contact Sonja on this email address for further particulars on the workshop.

Share on Social Media

Nigel Shipston
    Participant

Hi Cornea,

Sounds like more doom and gloom prophets. In view of our recent communications with DHET I believe that there is more than enough evidence that all providers will be accommodated in the system.  It seems you may have attended a workshop intended for a different market, but it in no way means that you should be disillusioned or that this means small providers are out on a limb.  It is possible that perhaps the workshop was not as well enlightened as it should have been.  An open invitation to attend such a workshop should address a wider scope to cater for an open audience, rather than an exclusive one.

As far as the DHET Registration goes, I found the QCTO workshop to be informative, but only to the extent that they have enlightened providers as to the DHET requirement to register.  Unfortunately, this is a DHET function, so QCTO will not be as involved in the processes, and direct contact with DHET would be necessary to clarify issues.

This is disturbing news and one would have thought that such a workshop would have provided some peace of mind but clearly this isn’t so.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

No, no, no Cornea!!!  Do not be disheartened or discouraged.  There is plenty of space for small providers.  We have done so much ground work on this application.  You don’t have to go insane, running around like a chicken without a head.  If you have difficulties in completing this application because you want to adhere to the stipulation and compulsory instruction, then let us help you. 

You can also view our website for more information if you wish: 

http://www.jc1-2016.com

Cornea, you can apply, and you will be accepted for sure.  Email me, so that I can assist you.  There is a future for small providers!!!

Share on Social Media

Marie Smith
    Participant

Very valuable inputs based on your experience, Ilana. Some of these were in line with what I had thought would be the requirement.

Would you please clarify where the OHS auditors must be registered? Thanks

Share on Social Media

Ilana Smit
    Participant

SAIOSH

If you are looking for a Auditor I know one who has been doing FET College Audits for many years and I know that his reports and certificate is accepted by DHET.  Inbox your email address and I will send you his details.

Share on Social Media

Everybody I got Lynel to assist me with my DHET application give it to someone who knows what to do I immediately got feedback. I would not have been able to complete this applicatkon If tried myself. My husband has a saying skoenmaker hou jou by jou lees. Give it to someone who knows what they are doing. Excellent team and I will definitely make use of their services if needed again. If you dont want headaches and an ulcer I can freely recommend them to assist.

Share on Social Media

karen deller
    Participant

Hi … Well we stayed registered with DHET during the “private providers no longer need to be registered” stage.  But we were unable to make any changes or updates to our name (which changed), our qualification offering (which grew) and our registered site (we moved).  So now we will submit an amendment form (there is such a thing) and hope the DHET can process it.  Bt to answer your specific questions:

1& 2 – no real obstacles, excpet time to get the paper work together

4 – surety.  we are a B2B provider and the form makes provision to either offer the surety or state why it is not necessary (they call it an exemption request).  We have a guarantee from our bank made out to the DHET on behalf of the students (their wording) but it is on the low side as we are B2B and only have a small percentage of students who pay for themselves.  DHET has accepted this

5. OHS – has to be with a DHET approved organisation and person (last year we used a DHET approved company but the guy who did it was not on the list and we were penalised for that.  THe company and actual auditor need to be registered with SAIOSH (see their website).

6. Time – just me, but I have all the info, the BIGGEST pain was that they want all the docs certified by the police station.  Really!  we have three commissioners of oaths close by but i had to go to the police station. this was a pain.

7. Other costs – audit (which we dont need legally but do need for DHET) and OSH complaince and bank guarantee (which SSETA now requires in order to ext learners at external moderation???)

8 – other costs – the use of a non approved OSH guy made me need to get it redone 

9 – i did it.  its not that onerous, as we have most things any way – but it took time to package and go to t he police station

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi Theresa, thank you so much for your kind words, it really is appreciated.  We do take special care of our clients, and thus far it has really been successful.  When working with reputable providers the application is a breeze and very exciting.  Thank you for submitting such detailed quality documents.  It is an honour to work with you to ensure that you comply and adhere to the compulsory application to register with the DHET.  Thank you so much for the compliment, it is highly appreciated!!!!

Share on Social Media

karen deller
    Participant

Share on Social Media

karen deller
    Participant

Oh, i just remembered something that delayed us getting the OSH certificate… e needed proof that we had paid COID in terms of the COID Act…. thats with DoL and as much as we tried we really battled to get registered…

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hey Karen,
    COID Act ……………….. ok, I am lost. Unless, I am just being blond again here (nothing new)

Share on Social Media

Colette Tennison
    Participant

COID – Compensation for Injuries on Duty Act stipulates that employers must be registered and contribute to a fund in case one of their employees is injured at work.

In terms of DHET registration, when I approached FoodBev SETA, I was given the following response regarding their currently registered providers:
    • Kindly note that all FoodBev SETA primarily accredited Training Providers, do not need to communicate to the DHET as the process will be facilitated by the FoodBev SETA along with the QCTO. The FoodBev SETA will forward the list of all Training Providers to the QCTO, who will then forward to the DHET.
    • Once the DHET has received the List of FoodBev SETA accredited Training Providers (forwarded through by the QCTO), the DHET will then interact directly with the Training Providers for registration before the stipulated due date which is the 30 June 2017.
    • Only Training Providers seeking accreditation as of the 1st April 2017 for historic qualifications should apply for registration at the same time with the DHET.

The implication of this, as I read it, is that FoodBev providers will still need to complete the registration process but that DHET will contact them directly to request them to register. Not entirely sure what the ramifications of this will be… When I contacted Services SETA, however, I was told that their providers must do it on their own.

So it appears each SETA is handling it differently as well.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi Colette,
    How lovely is this information – you are awesome, thank you for this. I am still calling it WCA for some reason – thank you!

The information you are giving here is in fact spot on – well done! That is correct, each SETA reads and understands this compulsory application for registration to the DHET in their own manner – which has in fact created absolute chaos in the industry. This is very unfortunate, and will hurt businesses.
    All 21 SETAs have been instructed by the QCTO to forward the list of current accredited providers to the QCTO, whom in turn will be forwarding this to the DHET. I wonder why? That’s easy to answer, because the same and correct information is not being given to the providers – now DHET wants the list and they will directly deal with the providers. This is an excellent move from DHET and QCTO!!!!!! At last, there is light!

The problem with new providers busy with applying for accreditation now, is that they will NOT be able to apply without the SETA Accreditation and approved SCOPE – so again the information is not carefully put through to the SETAs – or they understand this by means of assuming – and we want facts – not what every Tom, Dick and Harry thinks. We really have to work hard together here to make this work and save our industry Colette. I am so glad you have posted this, thank you so much.

NO SETA, will be doing these applications for their providers – this will NOT happen. The onus is on the provider – no matter whether they will be informed by DHET, the QCTO or their SETA – they need to apply now, and get this done. All providers must carefully go through the guidelines and apply this. Adhere and comply is the answer!

There is more information coming through, I just need time to read everything.

I will not wait for a request, we know it must be done. The longer you wait to submit, the longer you will wait to find out whether you have been accepted or not. Surely getting this out of the way, will give some sort of relief – sjoe there is only 61 work days left to do this.

You have made my night, thank you so much for posting this – you are AWESOME!!

PS: ignore spelling mistakes tonight!

Share on Social Media

Zalia Frosler
    Participant

Hello Everybody, I have been reading all the threads to the initial question posted by Lynel. I was waiting on one of my applications for a full qaulification with a seta to be approved. This has now happened and i am embarking on my quest.
    Will keep you posted on my progress and post questions on any grey areas that i encounter. I feel like Alice.

Share on Social Media

Zalia Frosler
    Participant

Oh i must just add it is VERY informative

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi Zalia,

We try to get all the little gaps and “fine print” in this application. What I do recommend here is that you don’t over-think each component of the application. Ensure you go through the correct guidelines. If you don’t have the guidelines, please feel free to email me. Our goal with the DHET application for registration is to comply with all the requirements and adhere to this important journey. Training Providers will benefit for sure, we know this is a lenghty process and additional stress and administration – but it is so worth it. I do believe that the DHET and QCTO is taking a very important stand here, and we appreciate their efforts to ensure that bogus and fly-by-nights that are currently damaging our industry and placing learners in a total disadvantage is stopped. So happy to read that providers want to comply and adhere to this important compulsory registration. Good luck!

Share on Social Media

Zalia Frosler
    Participant

Hello Lynel, this is a answer from DHET to our query. Hope it helps

Our Question to Dhet: Dear Ms Motloi,
    With reference to the registration regulations [31 March 2016] – section 12 on Finance – sub section (2) on financial surety or guarantee:

we are a business to business training provider i.e. we do not request or receive ‘fees’ directly from trainees, learners or students. We are contracted by 3rd parties i.e. municipalities, NGOs, employers etc and after training is delivered [or on a tranche basis during a programme] we invoice these 3rd parties for payment
    in all cases to date [we have been in business for approx 10 years] the trainees, learners involved also do not pay for their tuition – these are covered by the 3rd parties indicated or by a SETA which funds them.
    We therefore wondered if this requirement is applicable to us since we will never be in a situation where we would have to ‘reimburse students based on projected income from fees’,

Can you please clarify?
    DHET RESPONSE:
    If you train for your clients, please request an exemption issued in your official letterhead and attached a signed and certified copies of the Service Level Agreement(SLA) with your client(s).
    Thanks
    Monica

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

For those whom have missed the DHET Memorandum which was published: Applicants are notified that acknowledgement of receipt of their applications for registration is currently underway and applicants will receive acknowledgement letters in due course. In the meantime applicants MUST CONTINUE to operate offering qualifications and part-qualifications for which they have VALID ACCREDITATION from the QCTO OR any delegated quality assurance body (such as all 21 SETAs) or as we start to use the new grammar AQPs.

Share on Social Media
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

I don’t know whether I should give up or continue. Seriously people, I cannot stress this enough. If you are applying for registration to the DHET, you MUST complete the correct application, if not, your application gets rejected and you have to do this all over again, wasting resources, time and money. Another communication have gone out once again from a SETA with the incorrect information and making reference to the WRONG application form. I seriously believe that the word READ does not exist anymore.
    All I can say this morning, is please READ and make sure that you complete the correct application, ask before you submit to avoid disappointment, frustration, wasting funds and resources. This is a continuous battle to ensure that correct information is given to training providers.

Share on Social Media

Nigel Shipston
    Participant

Indeed Lynel, CHIETA have issued a statement to their providers but it is based on the APX-01 Form and Guidelines, which is applicable to Higher Education institutions registered with CHE. I have informed the Acting CEO of the incorrect details, but I see another website with considerable membership has, without question, subsequently re-published the notification. This is irresponsible posting, not checking the validity of information being made public.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Brother Warrior. What makes me mad, is that they openly acknowledge that they did not know about this (it is September 2017), and then give the providers the wrong information. As per our previous discussions with the DHET Evaluators (which we continue to do), it was clearly indicated that many providers have in fact complete the wrong application form, which in turn have the wrong supporting documents – all of this get rejected, and the provider must once again start from scratch, re-doing all the documents once again. We are not sure about the number of incorrect applications submitted, however those whom have received the acknowledgement letter, might actually think that their application is correct until the evaluation process starts and the application is rejected. We attempt to put out the fires, and so our work continue to avoid chaos in the industry

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Okay, so let us look at what is important here:
    1. FPX-01 is the application that needs to be completed, however there are two versions, namely the 2003: Application for Private FET Institutions – this is the WRONG one, and then there is the FPX-01 – 2008 Application for Private FET Colleges – which is the CORRECT one.

2. If you look at the guidelines – please follow the 2008 set of guidelines (although they are very outdated, you need to ensure that you have the latest information otherwise this application will cost you a great deal of money. Do NOT follow the 2003 guidelines.

3. If you have been given the APX application from a SETA or a consultant, re-do your application to avoid disappointment, waste of funds and resources. If you are accredited for one single unit standard, skills programme(s) or a full qualification(s) at NQF Levels 1 to 6 then you are required to complete the FPX-01 application (2008 version).

I am sure the above is clear and to the point.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

Remember the various discussions we had whereby concerns were raised and we attempted to get solutions or clarity.

Today we received our confirmed date to meet with the DHET Management to discuss our concerns and issues being experience by Accredited Training Providers nationwide! Thank you DHET and team!

Should you want to address any concerns with us, please feel free to email or inbox us. There is limited time to look at all concerns.

We are moving forward, and seeking solutions!

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media