Concerned Providers Interest Group – QCTO/SAQA/SETA/DHET

QCTO Skills Programmes: Current and Future

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Lynel Farrell 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

QCTO Symposium February 2019 – what we have been looking for, the future of skills programmes! Those who left by lunch time, have missed the information, break-away sessions regarding an important aspect: skills programmes going forward. Here is the slides, presented by the QCTO CEO.

Share on Social Media
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Deon Van Heerden
    Participant

What about the Training Provider what have no Qualification programs and only use unit standards under that Qualification i.e. forklift different codes, Tower crane operator, Mobile crane operator, and all other driven lifting machinery and first aid level 1-3, basic firefighting and health and safety in the workplace.

We need clarrification on the outcome of that, because when the questions are asked we always get the answer, We will vet back to you in connection with that Question.

We ask what now will it still fall under a SETA or go iver to QCTO. We asked because there are some Training providers that are small, the owner does everything and only get assistance from freelance assessors when the contract is big.

Please we ask give us feedback on this matter.

Thank you

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi Deon, and this is exactly what we were discussing after the lunch break at the QCTO Symposium. Unfortunately, majority of the individuals that attended, left after lunch, which was a disappointment. We were divided into 3 groups, because initially we were 400 attendees – so the impact would have been much greater. In the past, there were no space for skills programmes or specific skills – in the QCTO framework – this will change, and they have to cater for your specific skills sets, such as basic fire fighting, first aid, specific lifting machinery (per code) which is not a full occupational qualification, but specific to a required skill. We also discussed that not all “skills programmes” require the workplace component, and they need to make this more flexible. At the moment skills programmes do fall under the SETA – but the QCTO will be aligning “skills sets” or skills programmes for sure. Employers welcome the skills programmes. I am not sure if we will continue with the name skills programme. There is light at the end of the tunnel, and the QCTO have now seen the importance of these skills programmes.

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Thank you Lynel – for this excellent contribution – it would be really beneficial to have a workshop like this in Cape Town as well.
    Yes, following on from Deon’s comments – it’s not that employers welcome the programmes – so many of them – including those that Deon lists – are required for compliance.

Share on Social Media

Nigel Shipston
    Participant

For those interested, I am attaching a comment that was requested from TETA regarding the QCTO take over process. Although I focused on the Lifting Machinery training, the same aspects apply to other regulated areas such as First Aid and Convey dangerous goods by road.
    Deon, this was requested by TETA who are aware of my significant contact scope within the LMO sector. If you have anything to add, I would welcome any feedback for future dealings on this matter.

Share on Social Media
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Deon Van Heerden
    Participant

I agree with you Nigel, the only problem is if QCTO keeps the Forklift operator and Crane operator the problem will start occurring when the employee resigns and wants to work on an Heavier forklift or crane and he wasn’t tested or trained on it. That is where we will still can assist with a assessment or competency certificate, that is if the employer knows about the new regulations of QCTO. In some cases I found that the employer doesn’t even know about the Driven Lifting Machinery Regulation Act under the Occupational Health and Safety Act 85 of 1992.

For that reason we need to bring it under every employers attention and the QCTO. That is the same with Firefighting, First Aid and Convey of Dangerous Goods.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Send your suggestions and recommendations to the QCTO CEO!

Share on Social Media

Albert Mlambo
    Participant

My concern is in regards to QCTO turnaround time to issue accreditations to service providers,i have applied for mine in August last year and up to date still haven’t been given a date for evaluation.If i send them follow up emails i do not get response intime or nothing at all.My question is what is the delay in the process.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
      Participant

Hi Albert, have you received your electronic acknowledgement of your application file received? I am not sure who you are dealing with, but perhaps speak to Trevor at QCTO and ask him what the delay is in your application.

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media