Concerned Providers Interest Group – QCTO/SAQA/SETA/DHET

QCTO Roadshow – my opinion

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Des Squire 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Des Squire
    Participant

It was lovely to see some Skills_ Universe members at the road show yesterday. Nice to be able to chat in person. All in all I found the session to be very disappointing while at the same time informative. Once again i would say we have a body who believe what they are doing is right for all of us and do not appear to be interested in the opinions of the training Providers. Considering they have had eight years to transform and bring some form of quality into our lives very little has been achieved despite what the believe.
    By 2020 the quality function will have been take away from the SETA’s entirely but implementation will depend on funding???
    Accreditation will now require the submission of a letter if intent to apply which must be submitted to the QCTO in the first instance.They will then decide on whether a provider should apply to a SETA or directly to the QCTO based on the qualification to be registered.
    Submission of letter of intent will be finalised within 21 days and if QCTO accreditation is applied for this should take 90 days. With a SETA who knows???
    A provider who is currently accredited by a SETA could apply for extension of scope to the QCTO.
    QCTO have 246 registered qualifications and 45 part qualification
    New qualifications will consist of knowledge/theory, workplace experience and practical application components with a minimum of 20% of content allocated to each. However since one cap does not fit all qualifications this can be changed to knowledge/theory and application in a more simplified version.
    In terms of the levels of the NQF – QCTO qualifications will go from levels 1 to 8.
    A compulsory External Integrated Summative Assessment (EISA) will be obligatory for all new qualifications and the cost of such will be for the account of learner/employer/provider. What the cost will be is unknown.The EISA will be conducted at a Assessment Center and where these are or will be was not mentioned. The EISA test can take from one to three days depending on the nature of the test.
    RPL will be linked to the EISA which will be obligatory and will most likely rule out the need for a POE as we historically know it. All three components as outlined above must be in place and verified before the RPL EISA test can be finalised.
    Foundational Learning Competencies are explained and the QCTO thinking in this regard are set out in a booklet available on the QCTO website.
    QCTO qualifications will be for a minimum of 180 credits. these credits will take one year to achieve.
    QCTO will deliver two distinct qualifications – an occupational certificate and a Trade Certificate
    There appeared to be a total lack of understanding of the role of sole proprietors as the thinking expressed was that it was impossible for a one man business to operate as a going business concern. When applying for accreditation a business would have to have HR department etc so operating as facilitator, assessor etc alone was a no no in their opinion. THIS GREATLY CONCERNS ME AS I AM SURE IT WILL MANY OTHER SMME’s.

In my opinion there is a great deal to be discussed – there is a need for greater involvement of the providers – there is a need for the minister to clarify some issues. the issue of the SMME in particular must be addressed and this is why I have been refusing to register with the department – My business is not a TVET college as seems to be the requirement.

The above comments are my personal opinion only and must be taken for what they are worth.

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Thank you Des – I really appreciate your impression as I was unable to attend for health reasons.

I have a number of questions, but just to start with one area – RPL:
    you mention an RPL before the EISA.

Surely that is not an RPL exercise – surely that is simply a pre-assessment to ascentain whether the candidate is competent enough to request the EISA?

Also the SAQA have been posting on social media about the SAQA overall policy on RPL. If I understand correctly, each quality council is responsible for RPL in their domain. Is this the only RPL under the QCTO domain?

Share on Social Media

Des Squire
    Participant

Hi Sylvia, you are correct. For all QCTO registered qualifications or part qualifications there would be a pre-RPL assessment to establish the Theory, practical and work experience components are in order and up to the correct standard. Once this has been verified by “whoever” then the candidate would apply for the EISA test.
    Qualification we refer to as legacy will remain under domain of the SETA until they have been converted to the new format. Once again however it is obvious there is a lack of communication and unison of thinking between the various bodies. Will we ever get this sorted???

Share on Social Media

Des Squire
    Participant

Latest QCTO Update

Share on Social Media

Dolce Mokhathi
    Participant

I conquer with Des, this roadshows where disappointment,

For me they are re-inventing the wheel, they have never done any research or study to find out why all the models that government have been trying to implement since 2000 have failed, simple things like learnerships, why are they failing,

They are just gunning for our businesses, how on earth can business/employer go out of its way to look for learners, signup learners and look for a training provider that can assist them to develop a qualification and train those learners???

What is more worrying is ISO standards that we have comply to, they could not give us an answer how much this would cost,

All what I heard is that QCTO is superior to everyone and all the service providers/SDP should recognize this and take them seriously if they still want to be in business.

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Thank you Dolce,
    I would like to pick up one point from your contribution – you remind me of something.

My understanding is that there are recent changes announced to the ISO22000, which food manufacturers will have to implement and comply with – and this will require extensive training for all employees.

Have the QCTO ensured that a part qualification/skills programme is registered, and that the training material will be developed, and accredited skills development providers will be available in the new year to ensure compliance?

Share on Social Media

Des Squire
    Participant

In my opinion no, not as yet. I am not familiar withe this sector so am unsure as to what qualifications would be involved. Once again this is an example of where bodies do not communicate and regulations that must be adhered to are implemented without consideration and without involving key role-players.
    I will be attending some meetings next week at Food and BEverages SETA and will see what I can find out.

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

Thank you Des, I will be particularly interested in the answers to those questions – particularly from Foodbev.
      It raises a broader question – who surveys international compliance requirements and ensures that qualifications are appropriately updated/created? In all sectors?

Share on Social Media

Des Squire
    Participant

Hi Sylvia. Response from Food and Beverages SETA is that the QCTO has not given them any specific instructions regarding the changes. Food and Beverages SETA will be discussing the issue in the chamber meetings in an effort to resolve.

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media