Concerned Providers Interest Group – QCTO/SAQA/SETA/DHET

QCTO Provider Information Sessions – Register and book your seat!

This topic contains 60 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Dr Jacqueline Baumgardt (Jax) 2 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Dear Concerned Training Providers. 

Please be advised that the QCTO have arranged 3 important Provider Information Sessions which will be in Gauteng, Western Cape and KZN.  You need to register and book your seat!  Please find the following link that will assist you in your registration.

https://www.eventbrite.com/o/quality-council-for-trades-and-occupations-12227571011

The QCTO will be sharing very important information with you, and you will be able to engage with them on these sessions.  There is no cost to you in attending these, so please ensure that you are pro-active, register and get your ticket to avoid disappointment.  There are a limit on the number of individuals that can attend!

We thank the QCTO for arranging this, acknowledging there are issues and have shown a commitment to the Training Providers!

Share on Social Media

Charles Dey
    Participant

Many thanks for sharing this Lynel, much appreciated

Share on Social Media

Pamela Huygen
    Participant

Hi Lynel,

Thanks for the info!  We will definitely attend one of these. 

Do you know if they will be covering learning material at all, or have sessions for developers? 

Regards,

Pam 

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi Charles, you are most welcome!

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi Pamela, that is fantastic news, thank you!  Pamela, learning material is a very important – and this needs to be discussed, questions need to be posed, and clarity!  So, I would recommend that we have a group of Learning Material Developers there (actually in each region).  Every session completed, notes and feedback needs to be posted, so that we share this with Providers in other Provinces that is not able to travel.  Very good point Pamela, thank you for that!

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Hi to all,
    I suggest that we collate a list of who will be attending each session:
    I have booked for Cape Town.
    Lynel, I am assuming you will be at the Gauteng session.
    Who is going to be at the Durban session?

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi Sylvia,

What a great idea!  Yes, I will be at the Gauteng Session, and so will my brother Warrior Nigel!  Currently the numbers registered and secured their seats are as follows:

195 Registered and confirmed for Gauteng (We are on the half-way mark in GP – there is only 200 seats left!)

83 Registered and confirmed for Cape Town (loads of seats available)

49 Registered and confirmed for Durban (not sure why KZN is not jumping for this opportunity?)

I think Dr Jax will be at the KZN session.  I made sure that I booked, don’t want to miss this opportunity.  The information that will be shared will have an impact on the future for Providers, this includes Learning Material Developers, Assessors, Moderators, ETD Practitioners and Consultants.  Let’s get these sessions full to capacity members!!!

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Maybe, what I should mention here is the following.

1. Other specific sessions have come and gone – from the QCTO and from SETAs

2. Those sessions were based on specific criterias/requirements

So what’s the difference in these sessions?  There is a huge difference in the 3 sessions arranged by the QCTO.  It is for Providers to get information (whereby we can hear this from the QCTO directly).  All Providers, ETD Practitioners, Assessors, Moderators, Learning Material Developers have been trying to get facts, address issues and concerns.  Did you get the information you needed?  No, I didn’t think so.  All the Providers and ETD Practitioners that feels they have been left out, well here is your chance to attend.  There is NO cost to you, NO entrance fee or booking fee.  The QCTO is covering all the costs of the venues, and we are absolutely grateful, that the QCTO have acknowledged that there is a need to address important issues. 

All issues and concerns that we have addressed with the QCTO is currently being investigated, and some of these issues will actually be addressed in the sessions. 

Share on Social Media

Tass Schwab
    Participant

If I remember correctly this is one of the things I asked you to add to your list of concerns that needs to be addressed. (Learning Material Development)

Share on Social Media

Ken Annandale
    Participant

I will be attending the Cape Town session.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi Tass, this is an important part that needs to be clarified by the QCTO for sure.  I need to look through the 2 submissions and see how we have addressed this.  I will comment again on this, just need to read through this again – the issues (as you know) was overwhelming!

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Thank you so much Ken, appreciated.  Please share with as many Providers you can, it will be much appreciated if we can get this out to Providers that are not members of Skills Universe.  Thank you Ken!

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Tass, you are correct and it was addressed.  However, “I put it to you”, if the response and guidance that we are waiting for from the QCTO, does not address the Learning Material Development, then we need to ensure that this gets questioned in the first, second and third QCTO session!  The questions that was submitted in short regarding Learning Material was:

1. How do Learning Material Developers get the opportunity within the new framework of occupational qualifications to develop material, do they get registered, listed?

2. Who will be held responsible for additional costs towards programme alignment.

Various other issues impact learning material as well, so this is very important.  Actually, this is crucial to all providers to know.  Thank you for bringing this up.  Maybe we should give this the attention and time it needs!  I still need to draw up something similar like a progress report on all the questions we have submitted, in order to track it.  I am honest in saying I have not done this yet, but I will.

Share on Social Media

Pamela Huygen
    Participant

I have booked for the Cape Town session.  We’ll definitely be there.  

Do you know if there is any sort of itinerary available yet? 

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Hi Pam, Let’s try and meet up – with Ken as well.

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Hi Tass – will you be at the Cape Town session?

I have you, Pam, Ken, & I so far.

Share on Social Media

Tass Schwab
    Participant

Yes, Liezl and I have booked!

Share on Social Media

Pamela Huygen
    Participant

Posting the info on our website and Facebook page now. 

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Cape Town so far:

Tass, Liezl, Pam, Ken, sylvia

Share on Social Media

Pamela Huygen
    Participant

Cleo Black from SmartScript will also be attending 

Share on Social Media

Pamela Huygen
    Participant

Sounds great! 

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Thanks Pam – it will be so good to meet everyone in person.

Share on Social Media

Des Squire
    Participant

Does anyone know who was originally invited by the QCTO or are they only inviting the  select few?

When I queried this with the QCTO I was advised registered providers were invited. As a registered provider I did not receive an invitation. If it were not for Skills Universe and Lynels notification I would certainly know nothing about this.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi Des, I can confirm with you that I was invited with 3 more individuals by the QCTO to meet with them.  We (skills universe members) have been working very hard in submitting concerns to the QCTO and requested if we can have a stakeholder meeting which the QCTO will run with Providers.  This have now been arranged, and the invitation is posted on skills universe.  There is no “entry/registration” stipulations or requirements, and is open to all Providers.  Just to put your mind at ease, I am not a Provider and I received the invitation to share with you.  There is over 327 Providers that have already registered nationwide for these sessions and received their tickets, and I can promise you – it is open to all.  In order to help us in this process, you can share this invitation to as many Providers that you know of (especially those not on skills universe), it will be appreciated.  Trust this explanation is sufficient.

I am sure (or I assume) that APPETD also forwarded the invitation to all their members. 

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Wow, but Cape Town is on the ball!!  Impressed indeed!!

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Apologies, currently 380 registered nationwide which is increasing fast.  If you want to ensure you get a seat, register online and get your ticket!!

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Dear Members,

I have now attempted to email each and every Seta for assistance.  The request sent was to forward the invitation to all their Providers.  Various Emails have gone through, however some have come back (the person you have have emailed does not exist).  The following Seta Emails are coming back to me:

AgriSeta

Ceta

Chieta

EWSeta

Foodbev

FP&MSeta

HWSeta

LG Seta

MQA

MICT Seta

PSeta

Sasseta

Teta Seta

Should you have the ETQA or QMD Manager’s email addresses for me, please could you assist me in this.

Share on Social Media

Nigel Shipston
    Participant

Hey Sister Warrior,

Already forwarded to the TETA ETQA Manager and ETQA Practitioners.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi Nigel, thank you so much!  That really helps a lot!  Now for the other Setas I am battling with, I wonder who is going to be so kind to assist me?

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Ok, I have emailed this invitation for distribution to the Department of Labour, the Department of Trade and Industries as well as SABPP – is there any other Institution or government department that I should also forward this to?

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

AgriSeta, SABPP, EWSeta, WRSeta will distribute for us.  I am waiting the other institutions and Setas to respond!  It is absolutely awesome to see that some Setas and Institutions are willing to spread this important message and invitation!

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

And we have HWSeta on board!

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

And the MQA is on board too!

Share on Social Media

PIETER ZAAYMAN
    Participant

Hi Lynel,

Thanks for the reminder – will book my seat.

Share on Social Media

PIETER ZAAYMAN
    Participant

Sandy Ndlovu on sandy@teta.org.za should be able to help with the e-mail of Petrus the ETQU manager at TETA

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi Pieter, no problem.  Thank you for making this commitment to attend!  Wonderful news!

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Thank you Pieter, appreciated.  Nigel has informed the Teta for us!  I appreciate the Setas and Institutions that have come on board to assist in getting the message and invitation distributed – however, there are some Setas that have shown no interest, but this was expected.  We will continue to spread the invitation to as many Providers, Assessors, Moderators, Learning Material Developers and ETD Practitioners.  It is crucial to get all this information directly from the QCTO!

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

An update on how the registrations are going for the 3 sessions arranged by the QCTO are as follows:

1. GP – 251 booked and confirmed (well done GP Providers – there are only a few seats left – get those registrations confirmed as quick as possible!!)

2. WC – 124 booked and confirmed (the numbers have increased for sure, there is plenty of space, book/register please)

3. KZN – 63 booked and confirmed (a bit of a concern, is there so little Providers in KZN?  Please register and get your booking, distribute to all ETD Practitioners, Providers, Learning Material Developers, Assessors and Moderators – if we don’t show a good attendance, it might just be cancelled – this we cannot allow – lets work on getting these numbers up please)

Skills Universe Members, please help me get this distributed, I am one person, I need your support please.  Let’s do this as a team effort.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

W&R Seta started distributing!!  whoop whoop, thank you so much for assisting us!

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

An update on how the registrations are going for the 3 sessions arranged by the QCTO are as follows:

1. GP – 278 booked and confirmed (well done GP Providers – there are only a few seats left – get those registrations confirmed as quick as possible!!)

2. WC – 149 booked and confirmed (the numbers have increased for sure, there is plenty of space, book/register please)

3. KZN – 74 booked and confirmed (a bit of a concern, is there so little Providers in KZN?  Please register and get your booking, distribute to all ETD Practitioners, Providers, Learning Material Developers, Assessors and Moderators – if we don’t show a good attendance, it might just be cancelled – this we cannot allow – lets work on getting these numbers up please)

Skills Universe Members, please help me get this distributed.  Let’s do this as a team effort.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Since yesterday, another 44 registrations have been done.  Keep the registrations going, another update will be given soon.  Please distribute and share these sessions with other Providers and ETD Practitioners!

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

1. GP – 304 booked and confirmed (76% booked – don’t wait too late)

2. WC – 157 booked and confirmed (40% booked – there is plenty of space left)

3. KZN – 87 booked and confirmed (22% booked – a concern – where is the numbers?)

Skills Universe Members, please help me get this distributed.  Yes, it is the holiday season, but these sessions are absolutely crucial.  Let’s do this as a team effort.  Not all Setas are prepared to assist (for some reason which is not acceptable, as this is information for Providers.)  We have to do this as a team effort and support the providers not part of skills universe, please inform them, send them the invitation please.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Another Seta on board for distribution!!  Thank you InSeta!!

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

2017 is here!  Wishing you all the best for this exciting year!  Remember: if you want to go fast, go alone………… but if you want to go far, then let’s do this together!  The numbers have really increased in all the provinces, so thank you for those that have registered to ensure secure seats!  There are a couple of seats still open, please share with providers that are not on skills universe.  This will benefit all of us!

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Update on Registrations for the Information Sessions that the QCTO will be hosting for us:

Gauteng Session: 27 January 2017 – starts at 09:00 – 343 Registered thus far.

Ekurhuleni East College, Kwa-Thema Campus

Sam Ngema Street

Springs, GP 1560

Western Cape Session: 16 February 2017 – starts at 09:00 – 184 Registered thus far.

Northlink College – Parow Campus

Connaught Road

Cape Town, WC 7503

KZN Session: 09 March 2017 – starts at 09:00 – 109 Registered thus far.

Coastal KZN TVET College – Durban Campus

1 Jameson Crescent

Durban, KZN 4013

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

A kind request please.  I am receiving calls and emails with instructions to do bookings.  Please be advised that you need to book and register for the QCTO sessions by clicking on the link provided, complete the information and ensure you get your ticket.  I trust this makes sense.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Note:

GP : only 2 seats left

WC : 50% booked thus far

KZN : plenty of space left to register!

Well done Gauteng!  Proud to see the numbers and commitment!  Wonderful!!!!!

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hello everyone!  Please, if there are any providers here that have booked/registered for the QCTO Information session in Gauteng and are no longer wanting their ticket – please forward this to me.  I have Providers that are attempting to register, but Gauteng is fully booked (not one seat left).  Please forward your ticket to me, if you are not going to attend.  There are Providers that unfortunately are too late!!

Share on Social Media

Zalia Frosler
    Participant

Many thanks Lynel for this share and your generosity for all your previous shares. It is much appreciated. I endorse Sylvia that you definitely a warrior. Definitely attending

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi Zalia, thnank you for the kind words, it is highly appreciated.  Thank you for showing your commitment and that you will be attending.  It is such an important information session, and cannot be missed.  There are a number of individuals that will not be able to attend as Gauteng is fully booked.  We will all work together with notes, minutes and share this on the forum.  Together we can achieve success!

Share on Social Media

Zalia Frosler
    Participant

I will be attending the CT session. thanks again

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

That is great news, thank you Zalia.  I am based in Gangsters Paradise, so I will be attending the Gauteng Session.  I would have loved to attend the Cape Town and Durban Sessions to evaluate the sessions and compile one full report on the three together – we will be reporting per session – this will at least help the other members that cannot attend (reason for not attending is either the session is fully booked, or the sessions are way out of there boundaries/province).  Please take notes, as we will be sharing all our information that we get out of the sessions on the portal! 

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Urgent and Important Update on QCTO Information Sessions:

Gauteng is fully booked – there is no more seats

Cape Town has gone past the 50% mark, and it is noted that registration for this Session closes on the 3rd February – don’t wait too long, get your registration quickly, print your ticket to avoid disappointment.

KZN – moving towards the 50% mark slowly, the registration to attend the KZN Session closes on the 26th February – again, please don’t wait till it is too late.  Book people, please.

We have already received emails from Providers/Employers for the Gauteng Session for more seats – this cannot be done by us.  We are only spreading the word of these sessions, as we are all concerned citizens and we want to make a positive change in the education industry.  Please Members, there is no cost to book and attend these sessions, the QCTO have arranged all of this for us at no charge.  They want to speak to us, yes that’s right.  QCTO wants to hear from us, the Providers, Employers, ETD Practitioners – let’s show them our appreciation and get Cape Town and KZN fully booked!!!!!!!

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Good Day Members,

The following attachments were received from the QCTO!  This will be distributed to all Setas, Professional Bodies and Accredited Skills Development Providers for Occupational Qualifications and Nated Report 190/1.  I have not gone through this, so any Member willing to go through this and give input or a summary – go for it, it would be appreciated.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Oh and the following attachement, sorry.

Share on Social Media

Pamela Huygen
    Participant

Thanks for these Lynel!

Downloading them right now.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi Pamela, you are most welcome! 

Share on Social Media

Zalia Frosler
    Participant

Thanks Lynel, appreciated. Zalia

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

No problem Zalia, hope it helps

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Good Day Members, herewith the update on the availability for the Information Sessions that the QCTO will be hosting for us.

Gauteng – this friday: fully booked (there are no seats available).

Cape Town – session will be running on the 16th February – there are only 120 seats left (280 registered/booked and confirmed)

KZN – session will be running on the 9th March – there are 192 seats left (208 registered/booked and confirmed)

If you know of any Providers/Employers/ETD Practitioners in the Cape Town or Durban area, please spread the message – get these venues fully booked – it will benefit all Individuals within the training industry.  Let’s make it happen!!

Share on Social Media

I attended the KZN information session today, and can provide some answers to Lynel’s list of questions. Here goes:
    1. Assessors and moderators: no further requirement for units standards training or constituent assessors and moderators; AQPs will appoint the assessors and moderators for the EISA; providers to ensure 25% of all internal/ continuous assessment is moderated by internal processes and people.
    2. No short courses or accreditation of short course providers. Short course providers must register as skills development providers if they want accreditation. Course offerings must consist of a substantive combination of Knowledge and Practical modules (that can make up part qualifications). There was mention of a minimum of 25 credits but I am not sure of the details.
    3. DHET compulsory registration is required in terms of the Constitution; no answers on the financial sustainability issue e.g. suretyships required by DHET but not necessarily by QCTO who want assurance of financial sustainability e.g. audited financial statements or a proper business plan with budgets and projections, or similar. If qualifications have expired, SDPs are obliged to reregister and list the new qualifications they wish to offer on their application form. The QCTO and DHET will liaise with each other in this regard. Registration and accreditation can be done simultaneously.
    4. OHS certificate: heated debate – who is the accredited party – the workplace or the provider? QCTO is saying if on site training is provided, the workplace must be accredited. Caused a lot of unhappiness in the meeting!
    5. Learning material: no evaluation or approval by QCTO. It’s a situation where the SDP must ensure that the materials are sufficient to address the curriculum requirements and the proof will be in the EISA as to whether this was done, at the end of the day. The SDP will have to be very careful about buying course material from material developers – in other words each SDP is responsible for its own delivery and what it offers learners. Trends in learner achievements will be monitored, and interventions (even deaccreditation) would be put in place if anything untoward is detected or there is a public complaint about individual providers.
    6. RPL – the AQPs are responsible for this and RPL should be designed in compliance with the QCTO RPL policy
    Vijayen Naidoo emphasised several times that it is not about compliance any more but about quality.

Share on Social Media

Pamela Huygen
    Participant

Re point 2 and 4:
    What happens to short courses like first aid, SHE Rep etc? You want to tell me to have a SHE rep or someone with First Aid in your workplace they’ll have to do a part qualification now? There was quite a few unhappy people at the Cape Town session about this as well.

My next concern is TETA related learning material and training. Tons of these guys train on single unit standards at the moment. Crane operator, forklift driver, MEWP operator, the list goes on and on. What impact is this going to have on the transport industry?

Re point 5:
    I have said this before and I’ll say it again till someone in power listens. This is ridiculous. This will mean if the material wasn’t sufficient, the *learner* will pay for it after years of study, already out of pocket, after failing the EISA. No, no, no!
    How the hell do they control “quality” if they do not look at the materials at all? Where is the quality in training if the material is worthless? There are enough fly by night guys out there taking provider’s money, tons of providers cannot afford in house developers because they do not come cheap and the existing, reliable developers have no relationship with the QCTO.
    I get very upset about this issue. We are going in the wrong direction here. Slippery slope.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi Jax, thank you for this, appreciated!  Was Mr Thomas Lata also there to present?  I am glad that the QCTO informed providers that the DHET application for registration is compulsory – some SETAs are still saying they don’t know about this, which is a major concern.  By the time they wake up, it will be too late for their providers to submit, which is unfair.

I have tried my best to reach out to providers, but couldn’t even reach a quarter of providers between all 21 SETAs due to NO provider lists on their websites, or incorrect email addresses.

Running around like a chicken without a head, trying to spread the word, but I am now facing failure to assist – makes me mad!

Share on Social Media

No, Thomas sent his apologies. You can only do so much, Lynel. Providers also need to be proactive here and keep themselves up to date. QCTO has asked all QAPs for a list of all currently accredited providers and start and expiry dates so I am sure that sooner or later, they will start to communicate with the providers directly. They can’t say they have not had any warning of what is coming esp the DHET registration which is legislated in the Constitution. 

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media