Concerned Providers Interest Group – QCTO/SAQA/SETA/DHET

Letter to DHET Minister Nzimande – requesting help

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  sylvia hammond 2 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

The following letter has been sent to Minister Nzimande:

Dr. Nzimande,
    As a result of subsequent information which has come to light from DHET evaluation reports on Private Training Provider Applications for Registration, the situation is more serious than originally anticipated. The attached Addendum to the original submission of 8 May 2017 is submitted to clarify new information.

The matter is now becoming critical, with less than 20 working days to the gazetted deadline and far less than 10% of the Private Training Providers applications having been processed. Irregularities in the receipt of Applications by DHET has resulted in an unknown number of Applications having been returned without following the required Regulatory process.

Your intervention is crucial in bringing stability to this situation, threatening the existence of thousands of SMME Private Training Providers.

Your consideration of this matter would be appreciated beyond measure.

Yours faithfully,
    Nigel Shipston
    Partner in the JC1 Group
    http://www.jc1-2016.com/
    081 048 5943

Share on Social Media
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Thank you, Nigel. I have advised all our providers of this

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Dear Skills Universe, small and medium providers. I tried my best to get hold of Dr Blade today, but was not able to, as he was in meetings not close by. I tried to see the DHET Chief of Staff, but she is on study leave. I have stood at the DHET office for just over 3 hours to get hold of Dr Buthelezi, but he was too busy for me. I wanted to let them know that we need an urgent meeting as our industry is in distress, but I was unable to get through to them. We will continue supporting providers, and in return all we need is your continues support please.

Share on Social Media

Kate Sani
    Participant

Dear Sylvia / Nigel. Out of curiosity, has Dr Nzimande’s office / his DG’s office acknowledged (in writing) the receipt of this letter?

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
      Participant

Hi Kate, we received a response from the DHET Chief of Staff 4 hours after submission. The DHET is well aware of this submission.

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
        Keymaster

Hi Lynel,
        Did you see that Minister Nzimande’s mother passed away yesterday? Apparently she was 90.
        So I am sure that he will now be busy with funeral arrangements.

Share on Social Media

Nigel Shipston
      Participant

Hi Kate,
      Indeed, the only one to have acknowledged the submission and the subsequent Addendum, (the one above following letters to providers from DHET on evaluation reports), is the Minister Dr Nzimande. None of the the signatories to Joint Communique 1 have given any indication that they have received the mails and submissions. This is something of an embarrassing silence on their part, and one has to wonder if they now realise that this was an unprofessional, unprepared and ill thought out process.

Share on Social Media

Andrew Friedemann
    Participant

Thank you for the effort…

Share on Social Media

Pat Wessels
    Participant

Hi, I have supplied the requirements to DHET and have to been mailed that i need the following to comply. Audited financial report by auditor. I have sent them 2 years of auditor compilation financial report (the originals) by an auditor firm which they refuse to accept it as it is not and “audit report”.

In terms of the Companies Act 71 of 2008 i am exempt of audit requirements as i am the only director and own all my companies shares.

Please advice…..

Much appreciated. Pat

Share on Social Media

Andrew Friedemann
    Participant

Hi Pat – I hear this all the time… I do not have an answer, just a suspicion that you are not one of the ‘approved’ who will be dished out all the skills development funding sitting in the bank looking for a home.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi Pat, unfortunately there is a huge gap identified, and SAICA is currently trying to meet up with the DHET regarding their rules, which is not correct. We have also submitted an addendum to the original submission which clearly indicates the inconsistencies between DHET Evaluators and rumours. Please stay in touch with us, as we are getting to the bottom of this. We have in fact been taking this up with the DHET, and will continue working on this non-stop.

Andrew: it is very concerning when members are quick to complain, but what have you done thus far to get answers? All providers can comply to the application, which they should. The little hic-ups experienced will be sorted out with solutions, but this takes a lot of time which myself and Nigel have been taking on. All we ask in return is support and not to bring others down – it is stressful for many as it is currently. We need to stand together and seek solutions, otherwise our industry will collapse.

Share on Social Media

Andrew Friedemann
    Participant

Sorry if I cam across as bringing anyone down. Never my intention. We are doing a lot to get answers, just using a different tack then the one you and Nigel are following. Neither is right or wrong, and I applaud you for what you are doing, but there is no need for us all to try the same route, so we have followed an alternative one, which is having some impact. Multiple fronts are difficult to defend. I don’t want to give details as the discussions are sensitive and have huge implications for our industry.
    What I can say is the comment about skills development funding going to ‘approved providers’ comes from a SETA top manager not me, so there may be some merit in it.
    Keep up the good work.

Share on Social Media

Pat Wessels
    Participant

Dear Lynel,
    THANK YOU so much for your positive and constructive feedback. It is greatly appreciated.
    I am awaiting a quote from my Audit firm for the actual Audit report.
    I have the legal requirements of the audit firm letterhead signed by them and will see their response. If this brings no joy i will proceed with the financial audit.
    I will keep you posted.
    Keep up the good work. We appreciate you fighting this for OUR industry.
    Pat

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Andrew, the route that we took, was every reporting line in DHET before we could in fact address this to the Minister of Education. If you miss one reporting line, then you will not reach the main person that has authority. According to the Public Protector you have to go according to various Senior Management, and once all avenues have been exhausted then you to them. The last resort is the Minister, if there is no outcome or feedback, then this will go to the Public Protector. We have been in contact with thousands of providers, and we know exactly how sensitive this is. Unfortunately we cannot share everything either, as most of our information we have obtained is confidential, until such time that we can share the solutions which we will get for providers nationwide.

Share on Social Media

Nigel Shipston
      Participant

I think to clarify the situation, we started this adventure based on the belief that most, if not all, ethical and legitimate private training providers, are willing to comply with DHET Registration, as a matter of credibility and reducing the threat of unethical and illegitimate operations. This is a door closing on the threats to our market, and it would be a mistake to permit the door to be open, even the mildest crack. Pretty much an all or nothing exercise that requires everyone’s co-operation.

Having originated from the Bill of Rights, the basic concept of Registration is sound. Unfortunately outdated Regulations and archaic processes on the part of DHET are making this attempt at compliance extremely difficult. This has and is being addressed, and although we have yet to receive direct feedback from the respective authorities, various reports would indicate that there are activities underway to address the various concerns. It would appear that a mild avalanche is descending on our authorities! When we receive formal notification or discover any changes, we will most certainly report on it.

I have to salute all those who have embarked on the Registration process, whether successful or otherwise. Effectively, you have complied with the main requirement of Joint Communique 1 in applying for Registration. While there may be some initial disappointments, I would suggest everyone hold fast for a week or two before embarking on any major organisational or financial arrangements as a result of “evaluation” reports received. We need to co-ordinate results in order to present comprehensive and accurate feedback to all concerned, a factor which appears to have conveniently eluded DHET.

Keep the courage up, this is our industry. Let’s look after it and protect it.

Share on Social Media

Andrew Friedemann
    Participant

Agreed – I’ll send you an email with what we have done that has shortened the process somewhat with the same outcome.Again stressing that I am not saying either is right or wrong, just a different tact.

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media