Concerned Providers Interest Group – QCTO/SAQA/SETA/DHET

Honest Training Providers

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Lynel Farrell 3 days, 4 hours ago.

• Author

Henk Cloete
    Participant

Maybe I am a bit “old school”, but the system that I grew up in required the following to be in place to become a “Training Provider”:
    *Legal entity
    *Site: Equipment / Materials (if relevant)
    *Human Resources: Assessors / Moderators / Facilitators
    *QMS
    During March of this year we lodged a complaint with a certain SETA that indicated that a SDP misrepresented facts to the auditors that came to do an accreditation visit.
    The misrepresentation was that the SDP did have the necessary Assessors / Moderators / Facilitators. Yes, they even presented employment contracts to the auditing team.
    We supplied the SETA with affidavits from these assessors / moderators / facilitators that they were indeed NOT employed by the SDP and that they had no working arrangement with them…
    The end of the story – the SETA stated: “… no merit to the claim…”

My question is: Is it still worth fighting battles on a daily basis if the war has been lost already?

Share on Social Media

Nigel Shipston
    Participant

Perhaps there is not enough of the old school around anywhere today. The purpose of guidelines and regulations is to provide appropriate, fair and honest interactions. There are few “authorities” who deserve that description, as they all seem quite blase about ethics and morals. “Authority” in our country seems to be a path to riches and power, as opposed to providing support, guidance and protection.

The SETA in question has proven capable of lying before, so this is no surprise. Perhaps we should join the NEHAWU march on 21 November to the DHET offices to hand over a memorandum of demands to the Minister of Education and Training regarding SETA’s. One of the issues is “Maladministration and corruption in SETA’s”. Seems we are not alone in these issues!

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

I am sitting here, reading this, and I battle to put words down. My keyboard looks like it has been scrubbed with a metal brush, the letters seem to disappear. The continuous cry for help, request for clarity, asking and begging for information, attempts to stop shenanigans damaging the private provider industry, requesting support, helping those whom have fallen to get back up again and then ………… the lack of support from a pool of Authorities is overwhelming. I cannot think, that we are doing something wrong (if this is the case, then say something). The only wrong that can happen here, is if we stop completely. There are too many that have given up. Where is all the honest providers? Have you given up? It seems that the private training industry is weakening by the day, and this is concerning. There are thousands of learners whom believe in us, and we believe in them. Are we loosing our passion for what is right and ethical?
    I would like to know more about this march that is happening on the 21st November from NEHAWU?

Share on Social Media

Nigel Shipston
    Participant

Henk’s story is one of many, and the subconscious creatures that training providers are required to deal with seem to either think that they are right or that they are fooling people with their mind numbing arrogant incompetence. They do not understand their real purpose and are quite oblivious to the fact that their participation in our systems are destructive and in the end, hurt the very people they are supposed to be uplifting. We are subject to a very selfish culture at present, where the only thing that matters is self comfort and self preservation. The notion of having purpose and offering value has taken a back seat.

https://www.nehawu.org.za/

On the NEHAWU home page. If you click on “Read more” the full PDF document is displayed.

Share on Social Media

Henk Cloete
    Participant

I am attaching the PDF document. It saddens me to say that I do not see any mention of private providers.

Share on Social Media
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Thank you Nigel and Henk. I don’t think I have ever seen something like this. The list of concerns that they want to address is ……… reality. I would like to see what happens, will there be a positive response and solutions put forward.

Share on Social Media

Stuurman Aphane
    Participant

It is a pity to learn of the raw deal that providers still have to endure. Support measures by the authorities to potential training providers are the core of their responsibilities. Perhaps its lack of understanding by some authorities on how to carry out their mandate in an acceptable manner.

Leaving is not an option, I agree. The country can not do without credible and honest providers. Let us continue to engage with abusive authorities at all levels and in most instances sanity prevails and solutions are found.

Share on Social Media

Nigel Shipston
    Participant

Thank you Stuurman, glad to see your comment! Now what we need to see is more people like yourself standing up for what they believe in. Henk knows my favourite quote – The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. If all the good people stand up, solutions can definitely be found.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi Stuurman, you just made my day! Thank you! You are right, giving up is not an option. South Africa needs private providers/colleges. We have so much to give. You have inspired me today, thank you so much.

Share on Social Media

Henk Cloete
    Participant

Thanks Stuurman
    Indeed, you are all correct.
    The question still remains however that there are people out there that either does one of two things…

“If you can’t beat them, join them.”

Who will ultimately decide on “merit” when those affected learners gets turned away from possible employment due to this?

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

I might be wrong, but I think there is an answer. I don’t have all the details that is needed, but there is no harm in requesting information and some clarity to higher powers? Got to put my thinking cap on here …….

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media