Accreditation Help Centre

Offering Training When Not Accredited?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Leon Pienaar
    Participant

I am an accredited training provider with Services SETA, ETDP & TETA. One of my friends is currently in process of getting accredited (Getting forms and application ready) but not yet applied. She is however offering short courses as non accredited training and issue a letter of attendance once completed. She does not advertise her services as accredited training. She now asking me if this is legal as one of her students informed her it is illegal. Can someone please assist me on this. Does she immediately needs to seize training or is it legal to continue. Thanks.

Share on Social Media
    sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Hi Leon,
    There is a Constitutional right to choose a trade, occupation or profession – although that can be regulated by law – as skills development is.

She clearly knows that she requires accreditation, that is why she is applying.

Are the courses she is offering actually the same content, for which she is applying for accreditation?

If so – I would agree – that is sailing far too close to the wind.

Just indicating that she is only giving a certificate of attendance really does not help. That sounds disingenuous to me.

If she is offering short courses in something entirely unrelated – e.g. some esoteric system of how to understand the minds of some of our bureaucrats – for which there is no registered qualification, then that’s fine – continue.

Interested in what other members think. I will share to all.

Charles Dey
    Participant

My view is that if a provider makes it clear that the training they are providing is non accredited there is no problem with providing it.
    There are courses being provided in South Africa which, whilst being non South African accredited (e.g. SETA/ CHE), may be recognised by overseas institutions. I see no problem in advertising this international recognition either, provided one carries the relevant recognition from the overseas body.

Des Squire
    Participant

I would have to agree with Chrles on this one. there is nothing wrong with offering “non credit bearing” courses as long as that is stated.
    As an accredited training provider I have always offered a range of “non credit bearing coursess” and have no problem with this whatsoever.
    Can i please also remind our readiers that there is no such thing as “accredited” or “non accredited courses”. The training provider is granted accreditation with “programme approaval” for certain courses included in the application for accreditation.

Nigel Shipston
    Participant

We had an incident at the beginning of last year when a provider had delivered “non-accredited” training. The provider in question is accredited with TETA but was offering other “non-accredited” courses. The outcome was:
    1. Any learning material used and Certificates may not reflect TETA’s details or TETA related Assessor/Moderator details.
    2. The word Competence is related only to NQF registered qualifications that are offered by accredited providers, verified and uploaded to the NLRD.
    3. There can be no reference to any unit standard/qualification ID.

In short, there is no objection to presenting “non-accredited” training provided there is no link or reference to NQF qualifications/unit standards and SETA accreditation details (Including Approvals granted by DEL/DoT). Such references are considered intimations that the relative body referenced has “approved” such training which is not true and verging on fraud.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Share on Social Media