W&RSETA placed under administration

Front Page Looking For… SETA ISSUES W&RSETA placed under administration

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

The Department of Higher Education and Training has suspended all the members of the Accounting Authority and the operations of the Wholesale and Retail SETA.  The SETA has been placed under administration and Ms Manching Benedicta Monama appointed as the Administrator.

For confirmation of the details, please see the attached Government Gazette.

WRSETA under administration

Share on Social Media
      Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.

Can someone advise what the processes would be to report a seta to dept of education. Been taking over 2 years now just to get extension of period of accreditation and wants directors to fly to JHB to discuss out come but wont give details what will be discussed. Very frustrating.

Share on Social Media
      Rob Rees
      Participant

I cannot say that I am surprised by this news, but can’t help but wonder if this is not another orchestration by our dear leadership to discredit the SETAs, in a plan to relinquish them all of their financial control and siphon the funds into the NSF (or elsewhere), as has been attempted over the past few years.

Share on Social Media
      Heidi D Edwards
      Participant

Hi there,

The SETAs fall under the ambit of the QCTO, not the DoE.

Make sure you follow all avenues with the SETA before you report them.

Ensure you remind the of ‘procedural fairness’, i.e. it is not fair to request meetings without advising agenda et al.  There are regulations that determine behaviour.

Request a meeting with the CEO and outline the problem in an unambiguous and transparent manner.

Good luck.

Share on Social Media
      Lynel Farrell
      Keymaster

Thank you Sylvia.  I see that CathsSeta’s administration is extended until 15th April 2017.  I wonder if there are any other Setas under administration other than W&RSeta and CathsSeta?

Share on Social Media
      sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

Hi – just to clarify further my understanding is that:

• All SETAs fall under the Department of Higher Education and Training – under the Skills Development Act. That is why the DHET Director Qonde issued the gazette placing the SETA under administration. 
      • When talking about quality assurance and issues such as accreditation, the QCTO has overall responsibility. The QCTO is created by the NQF Act, and is one of the 3 Quality Assurance Councils – under SAQA.  
      • However, what were the old ETQA function/departments have a delegated function from the QCTO as Quality Assurance Partners (QAPs). Some are recognised as Assessment Quality Partners (AQPs) under the new QCTO system.

So it is important to distinguish the quality assurance function from the overall SETA function.

Please correct me if any part of this is incorrect.

Share on Social Media
      sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

Thanks Lynel – yes it would be good to do a full round up of who is under administration.

Share on Social Media
      Heidi D Edwards
      Participant

Hi Lynel and fellow Practitioners,

The matter of ADMINISTRATION is an interesting one.

There are SETAs who have been under administration for a few years but try and run a tight ship with minimal disruption to ops.

Other SETAs also under administration fall apart and one can get nothing out of them.

Truly a conundrum and frustrating for not only hard working SETA employees but also for Providers.

Share on Social Media
      Antoinette Manelis
      Participant

What is the implication of a seta under administration for accreditation and EoS for a training provider please?

Share on Social Media
      Lynel Farrell
      Keymaster

Hi Sylvia,

Monitoring and Evaluation of Setas:

• The Minister of Higher Education and Training has an oversight responsibility on the collection and disbursement of funds and the performance of SETAs.  In the event that a SETA is placed under administration, the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) will continue transferring funds to that SETA, however, DHET will monitor the utilisation of the funds through the administration process.  You are correct.
      • Quality Assurance and accreditation issues falls under the Quality Council and have the overall responsibility in this regard.  The QCTO is a Quality Council established in terms of the Skills Development Act and they oversee the design, implementation, assessment and certification of occupational qualifications.  In terms of Section 32 of the NQF Act, SAQA and the Quality Councils have the power to delegate any of their functions.
      • The QCTO reports to the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET).  DHET receives various allegations, appoint attorneys to conduct forensic investigations, looks at any violation of procurement prescripts, fraud etc.

I would also appreciate comments, if I am wrong, share factual information.  I enjoy learning new things!

Share on Social Media
      Lynel Farrell
      Keymaster

Hi Heidi,

Yes, when a SETA is placed under administration and the reason why, is very interesting indeed. In some degree, it gives us the understanding that something went/is wrong, someone has picked this up, and action is taken to get them back on track.  I find the administration reasons very interesting.

Share on Social Media
      Lynel Farrell
      Keymaster

Antoinette, there could be some hic-ups, but normally when a SETA is placed under administration, the operational side still continues.  This means that the SETA is being monitored and evaluated for a set period.  Your accreditation will not be affected.  Some of the reasons why SETAs are placed under administration is:

• Poor Performance
      • Irregularities identified
      • Non-Compliance with the Skills Development Act and other Legislation
      • General Governance and the way in which decisions were made
      • Corrupt Officials
      • Issues of Irregularity around employer grants and project expenditure
      • Issues of procurement and contract management
      • Financial Performance
      • Weak functioning of the Audit Committee
      • Lack of poor controls
      • Fraud around discretionary grants
      • Continued lack of measurable targets
      • Contracts poorly managed, inability to match service delivery needs and financial challenges
      • Allegations of corruption (Supply Chain Management)
      • Policies not implemented
      • Criminal Activities
      • Security Issues (physical and information security)
      • Issues around the management of human resources
      • Backlogs of issuing of certificates
      • Lack of data integrity, absense of data management
      • Lack of accountability and impunity and ethical issues
      • Non Compliance with the Public Finance Management Act and other related National Treasury requirements
      • Problems in budget structure
      • Lack of financial controls
      • Absense of monitoring and evaluation processess within the SETA
      • Inadequacies in the planning and reporting processess

And there are many more reasons!  For now, you continue with up-skilling learners, conduct training in a professional manner, continue with your quality assurance, ensure your house is clean.  If your house is clean and you adhere to the policies and procedures, SETA stipulations, rules and regulations, you will be fine.  I hope this helps?

Share on Social Media
      Antoinette Manelis
      Participant

Thanks Lynel. Much appreciated!

Today I was approached to do a program for which I will need to do EoS at WR Seta. It was shocking to see the administration news on the same day. I have not worked with WR Seta for years. 

Were they not one of the top Seta’s a few years ago?  In the days of Ankie Kemp? Not even sure if she is still there? 

Kind regards

Share on Social Media
      Lynel Farrell
      Keymaster

Hi Antoinette, I recommend that you get in touch with the Seta, ensure you have at least 3 contacts, ask them if you will be affected by the current situation.  You shouldn’t be affected, unless for instance the 3 contacts that you deal with are suspended for some reason.  It doesn’t mean that when a Seta is placed under administration, that they are not a good Seta.  Sometimes when a Seta is placed under administration, it is good for the Seta, Employers and the Providers.  Some Setas go through this process due to “fly-by-night” or fraudulent providers/employers (Irregularities identified).  This process deals with issues – it is a lenghty process, but a very important one.  I personally don’t think the W&RSeta is in the top 5 worse Setas at this moment.  Engage with them and good luck with your journey.

Share on Social Media
      Antoinette Manelis
      Participant

Thank you Lynel 🙂

Share on Social Media
Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Share on Social Media