Will qualifications that are not re-registered be lost for ever?

Front Page Looking For… Seeking Accreditation or Training material Will qualifications that are not re-registered be lost for ever?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  sylvia hammond 5 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Hannes Nel
    Participant

I had some mixed feelings when I heard that some qualifications and unit standards, currently registered in the NLRD, will not be re-registered if they were not used to date or if no learning institutions accredited to offer them. One can understand that qualifications that are not used cannot be maintained indefinitely. However, just scrapping qualifications without careful consideration can lead to some really important ones being lost for the wrong reasons. Take the qualifications for librarians and archivists as an example. Our research showed that there is a critical shortage of qualified librarians and archivists. There are some bachelor’s degrees available, but for some reason universities do not deliver a sufficient number of qualified librarians and archivists to fill the available posts. Learning programme design and development is expensive and we indicated to the ETDP SETA some three or four years ago already that we would be willing to design and develop the three qualifications if they would initiate learnerships in the field. Nothing happened to date except that the ETDP SETA appealed at several events to us and other ETD and research institutions to design, develop and accredit for the qualifications.  They were not willing to pay for the work, though. How many other such catch twenty-two situations are there?

In addition, in support of the NSDSIII objectives Mentornet is currently designing and developing qualifications in Early Childhood Development, Youth Development and Community Development. We are also applying for accreditation to offer the qualifications and will make the materials available to other learning institutions who wish to offer them. We already submitted one qualification for accreditation in June 2011, will submit the next one this week and the third one at the end of July 2012. Should any of these qualifications be de-registered we will be stuck with a huge fruitless expenditure while most of the NSDSIII strategic objectives will not be achievable, at least not in the ETD field.

I Enquired with SAQA about this and the answers that I received are quite encouraging. Firstly, the “Registration 2012 Team” of SAQA informed me that they are still obtaining feedback from each ETQA on the status of the qualifications they quality assure. Secondly, they will send Private Higher Education institutions letters requesting them to confirm whether or not they still offer all their qualifications. Thirdly Mr Eddie Brown, Deputy Director Directorate Registration and Recognition assured me that qualifications that are not re-registered will remain on the NLRD. Should an accredited learning institution wish to offer such qualifications in the future they may approach the particular ETQA and ask for the qualification to be re-registered. This can be done, especially if the SETA decides to initiate a learnership that can lead to the achievement of the qualification. So, the door is still left open slightly and I have an idea this door will be used quite often as we come to realise that some unused qualifications are important after all. 

Dr Hanne Nel, MD Mentornet 

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Hannes, thank you for an excellent post.  I strongly agree with you.  One of the problems in the development of qualifications has been influence on SGBs by the training service providers and the multi-nationals – the requirements for SMEs for example were generally not known or considered.  However, over time some genuinely needed qualifications have been developed. 

The fact that no training service provider has found it economic – or obtained SETA funding – to run the qualification does not mean that it is not needed in the economy.  Your comments are timeous.  If the SETAs simply report on what hasn’t been taken up, we may lose more than one valuable qualification.  Personally, I doubt that every SETA is sufficiently informed to make judgements on labour market needs. 

Before SAQA de-register any qualification, I would suggest that we require widespread research on the needs of industry and requirements for future economic growth – and not simply from the few who currently actively participate.  

Share on Social Media

This whole issue has come about because of the launch of the QCTO and the requirement to reregister all qualifications from July 2012. There are currently over 11 000 qualifications registered on the NQF which has become top heavy. I think that anything that can be done to streamline the system will be a plus. This should not prevent the design and development of new qualifications but my understanding is that this now has to be done via the QCTO and no longer through the SETAs who are basically no longer responsible for quality assurance in terms of the NQF Act of 2008.  The QCTO DQP system is already in operation so perhaps you need to look at that, Hannes. 

Share on Social Media

Hannes Nel
    Participant

Hello Jacqui, I sent and email to Heidi Peters only last week about this. Silence… I don’t think they have the capacity to evaluate anything yet, and they delegated the quality assurance responsibility to what used to be ETQAs anyway, so I believe it is business as usual. Regards, Hannes Nel

Share on Social Media

Gavin Tonks
    Participant

This is an interesting question as I trained as a shoe designer under Edworks Border Footwear training program and neither the company nor the LIRA leather industries association which I had qualification from are in existence anymore so there is no way of proving my qualifications, so would be not be recognized with their qualifications?

Share on Social Media

Lack of Assessors and Moderators in certain fields

I also believe that one of the main reasons for providers not having programme endorsement for a particular qualification or sometimes even running it is the lack of sufficient assessors and moderators in certain fields.

Take payroll L4 for example – many providers actually received learnership funding for this recently but due to the change in the qualification code most of the payroll assessors and moderators have not been able to re-register for the new code / qualification due to the qualification requiring assessors to hold the ND in Payroll Administration L5 now being needed – and where would the assessors get this from??? Providers cannot run the qualification knowing that they will never be able to do the assessments and / or moderation later.

Share on Social Media

Hannes Nel
    Participant

Hallo Ulita, Lex non cogit ad impossibilia – the law does not require of us to do the impossible. We really need to object to this kind of catch twenty-two situation and I would have made an appointment with the relevant SETA CEO or at least the ETQA Manager to discuss this. Furthermore, one should not take no for an answer – insist that they give you a reasonable solution. Hannes Nel

Share on Social Media

Hi Jacqui

The re-registration is simply because qualifications are registered for a three-year period. It is nothing to do with the launch of the QCTO. In fact the deecision has already been taken to re-register all the existing occupational qualifications of the QCTO for a further three years. The 11 000 qualifications are mainly located in higher education (about 8000 of them). Yes new qualifications development is the responsibility of the QCTO. They are currently busy recruiting staff and have already a number of pilot projects that they are working on. Lastly the QCTO delegated to SAQA the responsibility to re-accredit SETAs to continue to quality assure qualifications until 30 September 2012. I hope this information helps to give the correct up-to-date information.

Regards

Joe 

Share on Social Media

Hi Gavin

If the qualification was registered on the NQF and the provider was accredited then we should have a record of your qualification.

Let me know whether this was the case and if it is I may be able to help!

Regards

Joe

Share on Social Media

Dear Joe

My information is that the QCTO and the CHE requested SAQA to reregister all qualifications for a further three years  (http://www.saqa.org.za/show.asp?id=2779). If SETAs are only going to continue to be ETQAs until 30 September 2012, we are headed for disaster – there is no way that any new QA body e.g. the QCTO is going to be ready in three months. I know that FASSET will remain an ETQA until 2015 (I sit on their Quality Assurance Committee), by which time the QCTO hopefully will be fully functional, although the Green paper has actually suggested that the QCTO may be disbanded so who knows? 

Share on Social Media

Dear Jacqui

I was responding to your post that suggested re-registration is due to the launch of the QCTO. I only dealt with QCTO qualifications and did not deal with other qualifications.  Secondly, for the moment the SETAs have been delegated accreditation until 30 September 2012. The decisions about extending delegation beyond 30 September 2012 has not been taken yet. So nobody can state that they will do so into 2015 yet! The Green Paper suggested four options, one of which is that the QCTO functions be shipped out to Umalusi and Setas. The disbanding of the QCTO is unlikely to happen in the short term. The QCTO is functional at the moment. A CEO was apponted already and more staff are being appointed. They should increase their capacity in due course!

Share on Social Media

Dear Joe

The organisation I work for is due for “reaccreditation” which will take place in July and will be conducted by FASSET. Presumably this will then only be valid for 3 months. What happens after that? 

Share on Social Media

Hannes Nel
    Participant

Now this is a good question and I would love to see what’s going to happen. Please keep us posted. Hannes Nel

Share on Social Media

Hannes Nel
    Participant

Hello Mr Samuels, As far as I know you are the first CEO involved in ETD and QA of ETD that actively communicates with learning institutions and other role players in ETD. Thank you very much, I am truly impressed. Dr Hannes Nel

Share on Social Media

Dear Jacqui

The answer is that if you need to be re-accredited  in July 2012 and Fasset do the re-accreditation for the period of three or five years this will go ahead. The decisions taken must be honoured by the arrangements that will be effected post the 30 September 2012 period. 

Share on Social Media

Dr Nel, it is my absolute pleasure – We put the information on our website and hope people will get the information there but we also realize that we need to communicate with people where they feel comfortable! Regards Joe

Share on Social Media

Dear  Joe

Thank you for the clarification and easing the uncertainty. 

Share on Social Media

Gavin Tonks
    Participant

Hi Joe no this was early days and records wer manual 1980

Share on Social Media

Have you got a copy of the qualification?

Share on Social Media

I have a similar question: although we have started the process of developing 1 qualification with the QCTO (we have applied to be the DQP and AQP for 5), it seems highly unlikely that this will happen before July 2015 when the current qualifications expire, given that it seems to take more than 2 years for them to finalise qualifications. This is creating huge amounts of uncertainty and I cannot get any answers out of the QCTO even about the one we have started developing. The capacity constraints under which the QCTO is operating are placing a stranglehold on the development and revision and currency of qualifications. The dynamic 3 year registration and reregistration of qualifications which used to happen under the old SAQA dispensation has already been stretched to 6 years (since all qualifications were automatically reregistered in July 2012) and probably means that the qualifications are outdated in whole or in part. The SAQA system was easy to use, clear and understandable – the QCTO systems and processes are complex, time-consuming and quite frankly over-the-top in terms of their control processes. A qualification that takes a year to develop and 2 years to get through the manifold approval processes is already out of date by the time it gets onto the NQF. The fact that we have to use a QDF in the process exacerbates the problem. This is making a lot of money for a very few privileged people. I am well-versed in curriculum development and do not need my hand held in doing this! 

Share on Social Media

Hannes Nel
    Participant

The uncertainty amongst private learning providers is becoming a serious problem. Consequently, the APPETD and Mentornet decided to arrange a breakfast workshop on this for 9 May. The CEO of the APPETD and a representative of the QCTO (still to be confirmed) will answer questions and we will discuss possible courses of action. Only 100 delegates can be accommodated because Mentornet is sponsoring the event. A small fee will be charged, though. I will post the details on Skills Universe if Sylvia allows me to do so and I will invite all my Skills Universe friends to attend at 50% discount. Hannes Nel

Share on Social Media

I wish I could be there  but sadly, being in Durban, makes it difficult. Would love to get a copy of the proceedings or feedback on the discussion afterwards, though.

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media

One thought on “Will qualifications that are not re-registered be lost for ever?

• Andreas Velthuizen

Thank you Wessel, you provide some valuable insights. Obviously we had different experiences from the history of eduction in our country, but a fact that remains is that most people were excluded from quality education and opportunities. Unfortunately efforts to redress these disfunction failed, mostly because not everybody bought into the changes for ideological reasons and not practical reasons. A good example is outcomes based education, which I experienced as a very positive way to ensure opportunities for all and not just the elite. Unfortunately most of the teachers from the previous regime did not want to abandon their position of power and elite status to accommadate those who according to their warped perception do not have the “intellectual capacity” to become somebody. In some cases these psuedu “educators” even sabotaged change efforts when they found that the facilitation of learning requires hard work and skills and that their own training and attitudes fell short.

If the factor of educactors not buying into the system is combined with the fcators of a lack of management and leadership skills on all levels and the continuous effort to insert failed ideologies such as racism and communism into the system there is no hope. The only hope is an education system based on internationally accepted principles of good education, allowing for the unique conditions in South Africa, driven by visionary leaders, able middle-level managers and experts towards a complete innovation of a system that serves all South Africans, and especially the generation of tommorrow.

Comments are closed.