Who trains youth in recruitment good manners?

Front Page Looking For… Empowering Youth and Resolving Youth Unemployment Who trains youth in recruitment good manners?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Des Squire 2 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

More than a quarter of the South African population is unemployed and the percentage of youth unemployed is significantly higher. So surely young people would pay attention to any chance for a job?

It seems not so – not for the first time, I have heard from a recruiting manager about young people who submit C.V.s for vacancies, but then don’t:

• answer their cell phones, or
    • respond to voice-mail or text messages.

Then when an appointment for an interview appointment is made, they

• arrive late, or
    • don’t arrive, and don’t phone to apologise for not attending.

Then when they do attend interviews, they:

• don’t bring the documents clearly asked for in the interview arrangements, or
    • indicate how much money they want, and aren’t prepared to compromise, without considering what their future career prospects are with the company – or whether there will be a chance to study further or receive training.

Young people clearly don’t know that HR and recruitment people talk to each other – and seek references.  Small company owners also speak to each other to take references.  The first questions asked are always on reliability factors: time-keeping, attendance, responsibility – way before considering qualifications, skills and knowledge.  

So why aren’t we training youth in how to behave when seeking employment?  

Share on Social Media

Des Squire
    Participant

Another part of the problem is that applicants for positions do not know how to write a covering/introductory letter. they just send their CV’s with no explanation. I often receive CV’s by e-mail (unsolicited) that simply says CV attached.

They all go straight into the delete folder. I wrote a manual some time ago entitled “School’s out – what now” (a guide for school leavers) that covers all of the areas you refer to. Parts of this have been published on “career portal” for any of the young people who might have an interest.  

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Hi Des, now that sounds good – it’s not only external applicants – but even when internal applicants for vacancies apply they just don’t handle it well.

Please can we give some additional publicity to your manual.   Maybe we should review in the Group Book Club and do some links.  Please can you send me a copy to my external email address.  

Share on Social Media

Des Squire
    Participant

Hi Sylvia – thank you for that – I will send you a copy.

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media