What is the difference between an entrepreneur and a small business owner/manager?

Front Page Looking For… SMME Micro, Small and Medium enterprises What is the difference between an entrepreneur and a small business owner/manager?

This topic contains 35 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Skills Universe 2 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Anonymous

I hope this gets the support it deserves. There is an undoubted need for skills development in the SME arena in South Africa, as many efforts have failed.

I think the biggest contributor to this failure has been the fact that there appears to be no distinguishing between small business ownership/management and true entrepreneurship. There training requirements are similar in certain respects but simultaneously vastly different in other areas.

Take the classic example of a small business owner/manager – the franchisee. He has no control over strategy and marketing (including pricing)as that is the role of the franchisor. Yet they are able to make good profits and run a profitable business. The bulk of the population tends to fall into this category. Yet we try to make them entrepreneurs.

Rob

Share on Social Media

Dr. Chris van Zyl
    Participant

Well, according some classical definitions of what entrepreneurs are: pro-active; innovative & with a risk-taking propensity, one could accept that even some (or most) franchisees could be categorised as entrepreneurs. Yet the definitions and conceptualisations of what entrepreneurship really is, seems to be wide-ranging?!

Share on Social Media

Anonymous

The original meaning of the word was a description of a person who borrowed money to transact, with the clear intent of repaying the loan with interest and keeping the profit. The entrepreneur carried the risk and identified the opportunity. Early explorers such as Vasco da Gama could very well be described as entrepreneurs who borrowed to transact in the Far East.

I do not believe franchisees have this same “drive”. If they were truly entrepreneurial would they not launch their own franchise? Look at the Burch continuum, which requires some updating i believe.

Rob
    Chris van Zyl said:

Well, according some classical definitions of what entrepreneurs are: pro-active; innovative & with a risk-taking propensity, one could accept that even some (or most) franchisees could be categorised as entrepreneurs. Yet the definitions and conceptualisations of what entrepreneurship really is, seems to be wide-ranging?!
    Share on Social Media

Dr. Chris van Zyl
    Participant

To spot an opportunity where an existing business model (as per franchise) provides profit-making ability, is not necessarily less entrepreneurial than when you start an enterprise from scratch?

Dr Rob Smorfitt said:

The original meaning of the word was a description of a person who borrowed money to transact, with the clear intent of repaying the loan with interest and keeping the profit. The entrepreneur carried the risk and identified the opportunity. Early explorers such as Vasco da Gama could very well be described as entrepreneurs who borrowed to transact in the Far East.

I do not believe franchisees have this same “drive”. If they were truly entrepreneurial would they not launch their own franchise? Look at the Burch continuum, which requires some updating i believe.

Rob
    Chris van Zyl said:

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Evening Chris & Rob – what do you think of the new logo for the group?
    I have an idea for discussion in this group. While as academics and HR people we might theorise about the profiles most appropriate for the SME owner, but in reality in our SA context (not that we are unique) many people have started businesses as a matter of necessity. I recall a statistic that 80% of businesses are SMEs – and I believe that a large proportion of those are family businesses. I’m not sure if my statistics are correct, but the question is: given that large numbers of people – without ideal SME profiles – are running these businesses, how do we go about proving appropriate skills development for that sector?

Share on Social Media

Anonymous

I believe that the key to entrepreneurship is original thought and innovation. I have attached a copy of the Burch graphic file. I have also attached a copy of a Word document with my updated contribution to Burch. This is a work in progress and contains some placements which are wrong. however it is relevant to this topic. I believe that entrepreneurship is a scaled concept, but unlike Burch i do not believe everyone to be entrepreneurial just on a different scale. I believe there is a cutoff point which would separate entrepreneurs from those who are not. I am writing a journal article on this topic and will advise when published (if lucky 🙂 )

Chris van Zyl said:

To spot an opportunity where an existing business model (as per franchise) provides profit-making ability, is not necessarily less entrepreneurial than when you start an enterprise from scratch?

Dr Rob Smorfitt said:

Rob
    Chris van Zyl said:

Share on Social Media

Anonymous

I think that therein lies the challenge. i have no doubt that there are many many people who are survivalists. They are business owners because they are unemployed and/or unemployable. I believe the skills required by entrepreneurs and by non-entrepreneurs are different, albeit that they do overlap, as do all businesses. However, the losers i think are the non-entrepreneurs who are receiving training at a level that is beyond them, with no net improvement for them.

However until this topic is debated to some conclusion the process will continue unchanged.

sylvia hammond said:

Evening Chris & Rob – what do you think of the new logo for the group?
    I have an idea for discussion in this group. While as academics and HR people we might theorise about the profiles most appropriate for the SME owner, but in reality in our SA context (not that we are unique) many people have started businesses as a matter of necessity. I recall a statistic that 80% of businesses are SMEs – and I believe that a large proportion of those are family businesses. I’m not sure if my statistics are correct, but the question is: given that large numbers of people – without ideal SME profiles – are running these businesses, how do we go about proving appropriate skills development for that sector?
    Share on Social Media

Entrepreneurs change peoples’ worlds. For example, Bill Gates completely changed mine with the services he provides and the inventor of the internet.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

If I go back to very long time ago while still studying the definition of an entrepreneur was given to me as on the one hand a person of very high aptitude who pioneers change and only a limited few individuals really possess that characteristic. On the other hand just someone who wants to work for himself.

Schumpeter’s model suggests that the difference between the two can be summarised in four characteristics:

1. Amount of wealth creation.
    2. Speed of wealth creation.
    3. Risk taken.
    4. Innovation.

This clearly shows that franchise holders only qualify as business owners.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

If I go back to very long time ago while still studying the definition of an entrepreneur was given to me as on the one hand a person of very high aptitude who pioneers change and only a limited few individuals really possess that characteristic. On the other hand just someone who wants to work for himself.

Schumpeter’s model suggests that the difference between the two can be summarised in four characteristics:

3. Risk taken.
    4. Innovation.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

3. Risk taken.
    4. Innovation.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Replay by Neels van Rooyen

Riaan you are so correct, a entrepreneur created something from nothing and become financial undependable to work for himself, if all other option has failed he must take the risk and the change.Franchise holders got enough money to start of business with a back-up, that entrepreneurs haven’t got the same financial backup, experienced or training and support.

Thy say it is easy to make money with money ,but to start with almost nothing and become financial powerhouse this is a different story ,a real entrepreneurship spirit and success story,good luck for all entrepreneurs out there.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Riaan you are so correct, a entrepreneur created something from nothing and become financial undependable to work for himself, if all other option has failed he must take the risk and the change.Franchise holders got enough money to start of business with a back-up, that entrepreneurs haven’t got the same financial backup, experienced or training and support.

Thy say it is easy to make money with money ,but to start with almost nothing and become financial powerhouse this is a different story ,a real entrepreneurship spirit and success story,good luck for all entrepreneurs out there.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Share on Social Media

Anonymous

I agree with Riaan. Innovation. Risk too is important as i suggested in my original definition. If franchises were not a whole lot less risky, banks would not be so keen to lend to them, and landlords would not be as keen to sign franchises over entrepreneurs as tenants.

Riaan Oosthuizen said:

3. Risk taken.
    4. Innovation.

Share on Social Media

Anonymous

I teach that the purpose of entrepreneurship is wealth creation. To me it is the single most defining activity for entrepreneurs. Too many SME owners merely attempt to create an income stream, and do not create wealth. Wealth is only wealth when you have cashed out, i e. sold the business. I can say that 99% of SME owners have no intention or desire to sell, and most have businesses that are not saleable for a variety of reasons.

Riaan Oosthuizen said:

3. Risk taken.
    4. Innovation.

Share on Social Media

Anonymous

I agree to a large degree with this. However we could not exclude successful entrepreneurs who have created wealth and now use it to form a strong platform for future entrepreneurial opportunities.

NEELS VAN ROOYEN said:

Share on Social Media

Anonymous

As it appears we do have a fair amount of consensus, how about we take a shot at listing the different skills required by the two – the entrepreneur and the small business owner?

Rob

Share on Social Media

Dear Dr. Rob
    I will answer your specific question on the difference between an entrepreneur and a small business owner / manager (Small Sized Enterprises) in general terms.

In Egypt we utilize entrepreneurship development as approach to quality based TVET. The Enterprise (sometimes called Entrepreneurial Firm) is a business organization and it could be a large business, a small business or a family business. The Entrepreneur is the person who organizes or operates an enterprise (business organization).

The role of entrepreneurs is recognized to be of great significance in accelerating the pace of growth of economic development of Egypt. The developed countries such as Egypt generally owe much of their economic development to the entrepreneurs of their respective countries. Egypt is currently very conscious of the significance of entrepreneurship development.

Entrepreneurship need not simply be confined to industry, trade and commerce but would be far greater when people in all work situations start reflecting entrepreneurial behaviour. Developing economies need greater number of people possessing entrepreneurial qualities and capable of taking decisions under conditions of uncertainties. It is this class of human resources which has the potential of transforming their under developed economies into developed economies.

There is a growing realization that both quantity and quality of entrepreneurs are of utmost significance for achieving the goal of economic development in Egypt. Active entrepreneurs can fully utilize the Egypt’s available resources like labor, technology and fund to the greatest possible advantage.

With regard to entrepreneurship training, Egypt is increasingly trying to promote local entrepreneurship and accelerating the pace of Small and Medium sized Enterprises SME development. The old belief that entrepreneurs are born and not created seems to be have faded away and people in Egypt now belief that entrepreneurial behaviour can be created. Needless to emphasize that quality and quantity of entrepreneurship inputs are crucial in the process of entrepreneurship development.

The subject of entrepreneurship has thus become important and necessary for the education sector in Egypt which is directly responsible for the development of the economy of the country. The entrepreneur skills and entrepreneurship took their serious place in the educational system mainly into educational curricula of Vocational Schools, TVET Institutions / Centres and Universities (Higher Education). The TVET as sub-sector within the education sector is specifically responsible to provide technical and skilled manpower to the large enterprises, SME and industries.

One of the new TVET methodologies to develop quality based TVET is to Include training in Entrepreneur skills and Entrepreneurship in the education curricula for the TVET Institutions / Centres as part of the Personal / Behavioural Competencies to be acquired by the trainees / workers. Such Personal / Behavioural Competencies assist the trainees / workers to activate the responsibility and the attitude for decision making behaviour and promote independence entrepreneur spirit.

Best regards.
    Eng. Moustafa Wahba
    Competency Assurance & TVET Consultant

Share on Social Media

Anonymous

Hi Moustafa, nice to hear from someone like yourself in a fairly distant country. I do not think you answered the question per se, but I do agree with your comments. The desktop research I have done clearly indicates the issues you have raised as being important.

I must say that while the born vs made argument is an interesting one, how about bred vs made. I think the key driver is not genetic but the environment we grow up in. If not, how would we account for fast cultural change in communities as you yourself explained? The greater the cultural shift the quicker the entrepreneurial development. New Zealand and Japan both had nationwide campaigns to increase cultural acceptance of entrepreneurs which lead to a large growth in the number of new businesses.

I would like to see your course outline in Egypt so we can compare to South Africa.

Please confirm that your position on the question of SME owners not being entrepreneurial 🙂
    Regards
    Rob

Moustafa Mohamed Moustafa wahba said:

Dear Dr. Rob
    I will answer your specific question on the difference between an entrepreneur and a small business owner / manager (Small Sized Enterprises) in general terms.

In Egypt we utilize entrepreneurship development as approach to quality based TVET. The Enterprise (sometimes called Entrepreneurial Firm) is a business organization and it could be a large business, a small business or a family business. The Entrepreneur is the person who organizes or operates an enterprise (business organization).

The role of entrepreneurs is recognized to be of great significance in accelerating the pace of growth of economic development of Egypt. The developed countries such as Egypt generally owe much of their economic development to the entrepreneurs of their respective countries. Egypt is currently very conscious of the significance of entrepreneurship development.

Entrepreneurship need not simply be confined to industry, trade and commerce but would be far greater when people in all work situations start reflecting entrepreneurial behaviour. Developing economies need greater number of people possessing entrepreneurial qualities and capable of taking decisions under conditions of uncertainties. It is this class of human resources which has the potential of transforming their under developed economies into developed economies.

There is a growing realization that both quantity and quality of entrepreneurs are of utmost significance for achieving the goal of economic development in Egypt. Active entrepreneurs can fully utilize the Egypt’s available resources like labor, technology and fund to the greatest possible advantage.

With regard to entrepreneurship training, Egypt is increasingly trying to promote local entrepreneurship and accelerating the pace of Small and Medium sized Enterprises SME development. The old belief that entrepreneurs are born and not created seems to be have faded away and people in Egypt now belief that entrepreneurial behaviour can be created. Needless to emphasize that quality and quantity of entrepreneurship inputs are crucial in the process of entrepreneurship development.

The subject of entrepreneurship has thus become important and necessary for the education sector in Egypt which is directly responsible for the development of the economy of the country. The entrepreneur skills and entrepreneurship took their serious place in the educational system mainly into educational curricula of Vocational Schools, TVET Institutions / Centres and Universities (Higher Education). The TVET as sub-sector within the education sector is specifically responsible to provide technical and skilled manpower to the large enterprises, SME and industries.

One of the new TVET methodologies to develop quality based TVET is to Include training in Entrepreneur skills and Entrepreneurship in the education curricula for the TVET Institutions / Centres as part of the Personal / Behavioural Competencies to be acquired by the trainees / workers. Such Personal / Behavioural Competencies assist the trainees / workers to activate the responsibility and the attitude for decision making behaviour and promote independence entrepreneur spirit.

Best regards.
    Eng. Moustafa Wahba

Share on Social Media

Hi Rob. Firstly congrats on completing your PhD. As for the question I guess it takes one to know one. As you have said, there are both similarities and significant differences. For those wishing to get a feel for entrepreneurship, I recommend: The Little Black Book of Entrepreneurship (A Contrarian’s Guide to Succeeding Where Others Have Failed) authored by Prof. Fernando Trias De Bes. He puts it better and simpler than most. Should be prescribed reading for all those looking at giving it a go or who believe their existing training packages have value. When done they will know the answers to the question.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

My definition of a business owner is one who chooses business to provide his/her source of revenue, in other words , he/she is primarily concerned about personal financial survival,thus in most cases these businesses remain small and contained so that risks are minimized business stability ensured.

The entrepreneur on the other hand, identifies gaps and opportunites in the marketplace and his primary focus is to address these needs.In this process , value and satisfaction is added to others.The entrepreneur is always monitoring the markets needs and constantly changes, modifies, updates and improves his products to provide customer satisfaction.

The risks are greater , however by adding value to others brings greater vvalue to the entrepreneur and his/her organisation and very soon the organisation becomes recognised and branded.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

My definition of a business owner is one who chooses business to provide his/her source of revenue, in other words , he/she is primarily concerned about personal financial survival,thus in most cases these businesses remain small and contained so that risks are minimized business stability ensured.

The entrepreneur on the other hand, identifies gaps and opportunites in the marketplace and his primary focus is to address these needs.In this process , value and satisfaction is added to others.The entrepreneur is always monitoring the markets needs and constantly changes, modifies, updates and improves his products to provide customer satisfaction.

The risks are greater , however by adding value to others brings greater vvalue to the entrepreneur and his/her organisation and very soon the organisation becomes recognised and branded.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Share on Social Media

This discussion is definitely very interesting and i am learning a lot. I hope to make my inputs soon.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

entrepreneur is our culter in Africa .Maneger is someOne maneging a pacticular depatement . They is no such thing call small business .

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

entrepreneur is our culter in Africa .Maneger is someOne maneging a pacticular depatement . They is no such thing call small business .

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

If You have the kingdom valeu ,You are go to see that they is no such thing call small enterpres .

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

If You have the kingdom valeu ,You are go to see that they is no such thing call small enterpres .

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Share on Social Media

Anonymous

Hi Brian. Thanks a lot.

Brian Moores-Pitt said:

Hi Rob. Firstly congrats on completing your PhD. As for the question I guess it takes one to know one. As you have said, there are both similarities and significant differences. For those wishing to get a feel for entrepreneurship, I recommend: The Little Black Book of Entrepreneurship (A Contrarian’s Guide to Succeeding Where Others Have Failed) authored by Prof. Fernando Trias De Bes. He puts it better and simpler than most. Should be prescribed reading for all those looking at giving it a go or who believe their existing training packages have value. When done they will know the answers to the question.
    Share on Social Media

Anonymous

Hi. Do not be shy.The more input the better.

Thabang Jazz said:

This discussion is definitely very interesting and i am learning a lot. I hope to make my inputs soon.
    Share on Social Media

Anonymous

In a way I agree with you. Small business managers focus on generating an income. Entrepreneurs focus on creating wealth. I think that is a good way of differentiating them.

Jay Soobramoney said:

Share on Social Media

Anonymous

Hi Jan

Undoubtedly about innovation and creativity in my mind.

Jan Beeton said:

Entrepreneurs change peoples’ worlds. For example, Bill Gates completely changed mine with the services he provides and the inventor of the internet.
    Share on Social Media

Anonymous

Hi Chris

I really believe that franchisees are not entrepreneurial. I am obviously generalising which is not correct, but many are. Most franchisors do not like selling franchises to real entrepreneurs because they present problems when they begin to challenge the franchisor on issues. However, even if someone is an entrepreneur, if they purchase a franchise, while interacting as a franchise they are not acting as an entrepreneur. They are simply managing the business strategy for the franchisor who set the corporate strategy.

Dr Rob Smorfitt said:

I believe that the key to entrepreneurship is original thought and innovation. I have attached a copy of the Burch graphic file. I have also attached a copy of a Word document with my updated contribution to Burch. This is a work in progress and contains some placements which are wrong. however it is relevant to this topic. I believe that entrepreneurship is a scaled concept, but unlike Burch i do not believe everyone to be entrepreneurial just on a different scale. I believe there is a cutoff point which would separate entrepreneurs from those who are not. I am writing a journal article on this topic and will advise when published (if lucky 🙂 )

Chris van Zyl said:

Dr Rob Smorfitt said:

Rob
    Chris van Zyl said:

Share on Social Media

Anonymous

HI Moustafa

Are you going to be able to share with us on your course outline/curriculum/list of subjects? 🙂
    Rob

Moustafa Mohamed Moustafa wahba said:

Dear Dr. Rob

Best regards.
    Eng. Moustafa Wahba

Share on Social Media

Gavin Tonks
    Participant

I think the core problem we face is the confusion between sales people and Entrepreneurs.

Entrepreneurs have characteristically created value in their business and they have a passion and drive to do business irrespective of outcome, risking everything and going out on a limb for their beliefs and gut feeling inspiring those around them to be supportive.
    Society acknowledges great entrepreneurs by their passion and commitment.

The original Entrepreneur was a Frenchman known for his philanthropic role, so there is a wide interpretation concerning the concept and the person. Not every successful business man is an entrepreneur.
    There are many successful business out there and some run by admirable people but we do not consider them entrepreneurs.

The idea of a Franchise is to mitigate risk and reduce school fees so an entrepreneur may consider the Franchise to be his way in, however I have noted that successful entrepreneurs having a driving passion that must be fed and sitting in a KFC for 20 years is hardly fueling the flames of entrepreneurship.

Share on Social Media

Anonymous

Hi Gavin

I agree completely.

Rob

Share on Social Media

Anonymous

Would Moustafa and Chris not like to share their broad course outlines in order to give us an insight in to what they do in their approach to entrepreneurship?

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media