What is the competence level in skills development – reflections on this week

Front Page Looking For… SETA ISSUES What is the competence level in skills development – reflections on this week

This topic contains 1 reply, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Des Squire 2 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Today I intended to go to the Provincial Forum Meeting based on an invite I received, which clearly states: “False Bay College Westlake Campus”.  However, after speaking to a number of people at the campus, I discovered that the meeting was being held in Pinelands! As it was 10 minutes before the meeting time, I had no intention of rushing across town so I did my weekend grocery shopping early.

My skills development diary this week:

On Monday, I was asked by a SETA to submit learner completion documentation for learners for whom I had applied months ago for an extension until 2017. I responded with the documentation attached – please update your records. No reply or acknowledgement.

On Tuesday, I sent an email to a different SETA requesting the Certificates for two exit moderations completed and submitted a YEAR ago. No reply or acknowledgement.

On Wednesday, I received a request from that same SETA to complete and submit the ATR with Invoices.  I scanned the documents that had been submitted online in April and sent them in reply.  No reply or acknowledgement.

On Wednesday from the first (Monday) SETA I received a request for ABET results for 3 years ago. These results and the ones from 2 years ago have all been submitted, results schedules and certificates. I know because one of the staff told me that the second year information was entered into the first year.  Despite re-submitting the results to at least 6 different people at least that many or more times, the SETA staff have failed to reconcile and rectify their record.   

So today is Thursday and I didn’t get to the Provincial Forum and have no idea what transpired.  As my ankle has not healed yet, I was in pain most of the time, which didn’t help my mood.  A very rude expression about not being able to organise a party in a place that makes beer springs to mind.

However, I like to make constructive criticism as I follow Bill Shankley’s advice that nothing succeeds like failure (google Liverpool Football Club for more details).  

So I ask myself what should we do differently – especially as the SETA system is up for review?

My thoughts for Minister Nzimande and Director Qonde are as follows:

It doesn’t matter how many SETAs/one body and whatever they/it will be called. Above all else we need administrative and IT systems and competence.

Please have developed one single IT system – that works. Please don’t tender and take the cheapest quote.  (SITA may only do it if they have completed issuing all the outstanding certificates.) 

Please create one single HR department responsible for:

• recruiting staff to administer the skills development system, with a specification for high attention to detail and accuracy, and good literacy and numeracy levels, and
    • checking all references and qualifications, and
    • an HR L&D section that arranges the necessary training, assessment, re-training, and development for all those skills development staff to ensure that they know how to use the IT system and communicate professionally with stakeholders.  

Please also create a single legal department that draws up all the contracts and documents for the learners.

I am entirely committed to skills development and see it as the only route to ensure economic participation – and an effectively functioning economy.  No matter what economic system we adopt, we will never have enough money to feed, clothe, house, educate, and provide medical care if we waste our time doing the same things – over and over again.  

We don’t need to be registered assessors to truly assess ourselves as: Not Yet Competent. 

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi Sylvia, don’t worry, take a deep breath and get that ankle healthy.  The Seta obsticle will get better, if not, let’s chat and see where we can find solutions.  I will help you (if I can).  I really like your thoughts, if only this could come true, it will be like a miracle!  Unfortunately, the Ministers and Directors and the powers that be, make decisions based on ….. I actually don’t have a clue – and I don’t understand who is actually benefitting by these decisions, it can’t be labour, certainly not the Work-force in South Africa, maybe I am just clueless here – but I haven’t actually seen improvements, less unemployed people, better conditions for the poor, more educated people ……….. all I can add is, I like Bill Shankley

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Hi Lynel, thank you.  And oops my apologies there is no “e” Shankly – and yes a brilliant man.

I am led to believe that bodies such as BUSA are pushing to keep the SETAs as is.  I don’t know who they are representing but doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result = madness.

Share on Social Media

Des Squire
    Participant

Anything to do with Liverpool Football Club puts me right off as I support United. Sorry – let’s stick to the topic.

Service levels leave much to be desired and this I might add applies from top to bottom. No one at many if not most SETAS seem to care. Recruiting of bodies seems to be the order of the day and recruiting and selection based on competency seems to be non- existent.  

I agree 100% with your recommendations and feel after so many years nothing has improved. We are going backwards and I do not believe we will see any improvement prior to 2018. Why worry if you might be out of a job in a years time??

On the other hand the QCTO offers very good service and support and will I am sure assist in solving your problem. If you do not have the correct contact let me know and I will forward details to you.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

I also don’t know who they are presenting, at least it keeps them busy and in the media.  I am no Nostradamus, but I am going to give it a go.  I predict that the Setas (maybe not all of them) will remain until 2024.  That’s my prediction!

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Ag no man Des, rather support Cricket or Rugby or Golf, okay I will listen and stick to the topic, sorry Des (grin).  I will stick to my prediction, the Setas will remain a bit longer – it is logical, isn’t it?  Let’s look at the facts.  Only the Setas are dealing with SAQA qualifications, right?  Hold that thought, I am not done yet, just a second.  Have a look at some of the qualifications that have been re-registered, okay now, what is the last date of achievement? 2021-2023 right? I keep my prediction.

The Setas do care, the problem is, that we need to understand that a Seta is not run like a normal business, it is unfortunate, but reality.  The processes to get more capacity is an absolute nightmare for them.  The QCTO could just be their life-line, but we need to support the QCTO in order to support the Setas.  It will work out, but clearly support is needed, recommendations are being heard, but also, the QCTO only have so many bodies that are attempting to get to everything, time will tell. 

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Thanks Des, and yes I have had good experiences with the QCTO.  If I do not have a response with the outstanding certificates by tomorrow, the next step is the QCTO.  

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

We should run a book on how many do we predict 🙂

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Yes, I will call it:  Predictions for Dummies (same as all the other yellow and black books, I am collecting them, for real).  We could become famous!!! 

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Hi Des,

I would like to lodge a formal complaint with the QCTO regarding the Service Seta not issuing certificates a year after exit moderation.

Who will deal with that at the QCTO? Please send me the contact details of the correct person. Thanks

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi Sylvia, did you get what you were looking for?  If not, let me know and I will email you the details that you need.

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Hi Lynel, no I am definitely not satisfied and don’t have the certificates.

Please advise who at QCTO would deal with such a complaint about a SETA ETQA/QAP. I definitely want to complain.

I also have certificates outstanding from IEB since 2015 – who do I complain to about that? 

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi Sylvia, I will email you the details. 

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Thanks Lynel.  

A further question please – if we have the exam results, why do we need the certificates before the SETA can close off and pay out? 

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi Sylvia, is this for a learnership?

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

No for an IEB ABET examination.

Share on Social Media

Melanie Harvard
    Participant

Having been working with setas and before them the training boards for over 18 years, in my experience you get 1 or 2 interested and engaged people working at the setas – who are like gold – but the rest seem to be place-holding and have lost interest and motivation along the way. They lose sight of the impact of their actions on organisations and learners. I spend a large part of my life in continual checks, cross-checks, follow-ups and ongoing problem resolution with setas.

Emails never answered, phone calls never returned, passing of the buck and blame, endless red tape, endless delays, avoidance and denial. It is exhausting and frustrating. I understand there are policies and systems in place which confound and frustrate the people within the setas too – but it just never seems to improve – or the systems change and new problems arise.

The only way i have found works under the current system is to keep on nagging until the pain of your voice exceeds the pain of the thing you need done. I sound negative because like Sylvia I am no longer even underwhelmed by the lack of interest and service I experience on a daily basis.

And I can’t see it changing . . .

Anyone interested in joining my NQF-therapy group – we will be meeting for wine and whining monthly . . . bring your own tissues . . .

(i suppose this is the job . . . and if we can’t muscle down and push through  – rejoicing when we receive certificates (for example) in under 6 months from EM . ..  then we need to consider another career path – in macrame or aromatherapy massage or something not involving disinterested govt departments.)

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Melanie, wine is not going to help, you will need stronger substances!!  I will not be able to attend the whining sessions, as the selected substances might let my guard down completely, secrets out of an old closet (locked for life). 

Share on Social Media

Des Squire
    Participant

Sent e-mail with relevant information – hope you get it???

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media