Unemployed Learners on Learnerships

Front Page Looking For… The Learnership Group Unemployed Learners on Learnerships

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Brynmor-Rose Zimri
      Participant

Good Day

Not sure if this has been discussed before. I would like all the Freelancers out there to please share their experiences with conducting training to unemployed learners on Learnerships. What are your biggest challenges and how did you manage to overcome? TIA

Share on Social Media
      sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

Hi Brynmor-Rose,
      This is not my direct area, but I am aware of a company who experienced absenteeism of the learners, and also some who just absconded.

I tried to find out what the reason was for their absence, whether it was programme itself, or something in their personal circumstances, but was unsuccessful. They all ended up being dismissed from the employment and Learnership.

So I can identify the problem, but not the reason, nor the solution.

Share on Social Media
      Janelle Gravett
      Participant

Hi Brynmor-Rose.
      I have been involved in running a number of learnerships over the years. Depending on the level of the learnership various challenges come out! My experience with level 4 learnerships for unemployed is as Sylvia has stated, absenteeism and abscondment. There is also a lack of commitment which comes out in constant lateness and not submitting of assignments, formative assessment and summative assesments on time. A lot of learners apply as they feel that it will be an opportunity to receive the stipend (which is regarded as a salary regardless of any explanations to the contrary). Many learners are “professional” learners on learnerships!
      At a level 5 there is much more commitment in terms of submission of POE details/requirements but absenteeism and abscondment are still a problem.
      I know many people will state that recruitment practices are not correct and this leads to the abscondment, but our recruitment is very thorough and we dont take on large numbers of learners for the sake of running learnerships. We are very careful in our selection and recruitment process.
      The other challenge is pregnancy. Many learners fall pregnant during the course of the 12 month learning period and you have to find ways to assist the learner to obtain the qualification on the return from maternity leave!
      Its a rewarding process but also a challenging one!

Share on Social Media
      sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

Hi Janelle,
      Thx for your comprehensive response to Brynmor-Rose.

You raise an issue I am interested in. Are there any documents – or any policy that you are aware of – that specifically refers to how pregnancy should be dealt with.
      What the rights and obligations are?

Share on Social Media
      Brynmor-Rose Zimri
      Participant

Thank you so much for your response, ladies. Janelle, yip, some Learners might only be in on it for the sake of receiving the stipend. And that’s typically where your commitment challenges arise (absenteeism, etc.).

One aspect I came accross is the misalignment between the Learnership offered and the Recruitment process followed. You would find that learners have been recruited on a Learnership which requires work-related activities (forming part of Assessment criteria) but nothing is done by the TP to assign them to workplaces in order to give them the learning experience as well as the means and ability to complete some of their integrated assessments and logbooks. Also looking at the lack of resources (access to e-mail, print/scan facilities. What are the norm/standard with regards to this? As a Freelancer you can make recommendations as far as possible but the reality is that factors like these hamper your timelines and target dates. Your thoughts?

Share on Social Media
      Vuyokazi Siyo
      Participant

Hello Janelle,

I’ve trained mostly Ward councillors and ward committees (they are similar groul) ,the issue of
      1. Absenteeism
      2. Not completing forms, attendance registers.
      3. Not taking seriously the course
      4. Not finishing the training, they run away when its time for assessments.

How to deal with it?

Honestly I do not have any practical solution but when correcting our previous project we learnt that.

1. We need to complete registration first
      2. Have learners sign commitment forms.
      3. Agree to a schedule and ensure everyrhing is arranged before the course delivery begins..coz if you start hoping to arrange Admin on the first day or during the course you’ll never get paid on time.

I hope my have helped .

Regards
      V

Share on Social Media
      Brynmor-Rose Zimri
      Participant

Hi Vuyokazi

Thank you so much for your input. Definitely some of the most common challenges you have listed. Some great actions to overcome too! More pro-active planning is always a good thing.

I also think if during the Induction/Orientation phase you can zoom into the whole purpose and spend more time on the benefits of the successful completion of the qualification it might improve the chances of keeping all learners on the radar right through until the end. In this way you create a better understanding of the bigger picture and not go right into the details straight away.

Share on Social Media
      Vuyokazi Siyo
      Participant

I agree , they must be encouraged to finish from the beginning.

Share on Social Media
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Share on Social Media