UCT Research – the lasting negative effect of child abuse

Front Page Looking For… Youth Careers Personal Development EQ UCT Research – the lasting negative effect of child abuse

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

The following is copied from a UCT newsletter:

“Today’s news

Beating children leads to a lifetime of underachievement
    7 May 2015

Children who are beaten by their parents do badly at school, often drop out, and ultimately get lower-paying jobs, according to recent research. The findings are particularly alarming in light of the high levels of child abuse in South Africa.”

As training service providers, SDFs, and human resource people, we spend an awful lot of our time talking about the qualifications, the material, the assessment process, and sometimes it seems that the learner becomes lost.

Very frequently lately I become involved in a conversation along the lines of the lack of readiness of youth for employment – everything they don’t know and can’t do – and the lack of numeracy.  

So I would strongly recommend all skills-universe members to take the time to click through to this UCT news report on a research project, which highlights the permanent lifetime effect of an abused childhood.

http://www.uct.ac.za/dailynews/?id=9134&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=UCT+Research+May+2015-Batch+2&utm_content=UCT+Research+May+2015-Batch+2+CID_fbcf05f855bf3d577a40699d786e2a89&utm_source=Campaign%20Monitor%20newsletter%20traffic&utm_term=Read%20mor

At the bottom of the news report you will find a link through to the Econ 3×3 website with further information on the researcher Duncan Pieterse and an option to download the report.

Share on Social Media

Hi Sylvia

Whow!  Thanks to this information. Dealing with youth and learning has compelled me do my PhD focusing on learnings,  mentoring the youth for employment. I am trying to find a topic. My interest is in coming up with a model which we could use especially with learnerships and interns drop out rate. I will contact you for your input as well.

Regards 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Share on Social Media

One thought on “UCT Research – the lasting negative effect of child abuse

• Denise Bonnelle

Hi Wilma. I think it is a realistic expectation for learners to safeguard their evidence until they are certified. It is their responsibility as well as the responsibility of the Provider to ensure the safety and confidentiality of evidence inserted in portfolios. I am sure that the SETA would have conducted a Due Diligence or site visit prior to your accreditation and should have explained the policies of the SETA to you (your company). What does your company Policy and Procedure say about this challenge? Your best bet now would be to give ETDP SETA a call or a visit and explain what happened and ask for their advice and what their policy is wrt to this. 

Just to be on the safe side. Being pro-active rather than re-active 🙂 Good luck to you. 🙂 

Comments are closed.