Training Providers, read this….The reasons why a particular Seta did not approve our qualification.

Front Page Looking For… Training Service Providers Training Providers, read this….The reasons why a particular Seta did not approve our qualification.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Des Squire 2 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Dear colleagues. 

After a long struggle to get an extension of scope date going back some 2 years for a programme approval for one of our qualifications with one of the Setas, we eventually escalated the matter to the CEO and were then advised to submit the material as a matter of urgency and an evaluator with go through it. This morning I received the accreditation report with a big ‘Accreditation/Programme Approval Not Yet Recommended’ and the areas of remediation were what ruined my day. Here are the recommended areas of remediation (bear in mind that we are an already accredited provider for almost 3 years now with 2 Setas): 

1) Staff details: The Provider must provide the certified copies of Qualifications, CVs and I.D. for the following staff members (that being the assessor and moderator).

2) Programme Delivery: 

The Provider must include the following forms in the Facilitator Guide:
    o Facilitator Report
    o Attendance Register
    o Appeal Form
     The Learner Re-Assessment plan is developed and acknowledged but the provider must include it in the Learner POE Guide as well.

Can some please help me decipher this? Which assessor/moderator will agree to give anyone, actually, a certified copy of their ID? I’m not sure if this currently done with other Setas but an assessor/moderator giving a provider their CERTIFIED ID copy? At the present moment there are alleged fraudulent activities with assessors’ registration docs let alone a certified ID copy, now we are asked to provide people’s ID copies? 

Secondly, we are already an accredited institution with a QMS in place that was approved, hence accreditation awarded. Is this Seta asking us to provide facilitator reports, registers, appeals forms, etc EACH AND EVERY TIME we apply for an extension of scope for each and every qualification? Something this Seta approved initially? Am I the only one confused here?

I’m hoping someone can give guidance as to what to make of this. 

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Nomasonto, unfortunately an escalation of fraudulent activities have been identified.  I would recommend that you request the Assessor and Moderator to issue you with a certified copy and submit this to the SETA  It does not mean if you are accredited that you let your guard down.  It is a couple of forms to submit which you can do today still.

Share on Social Media

Alcon Dube APR
    Participant

CVs and Certified copies of qualifications including Assessor/Moderator EQTA registration certificates should suffice and makes sense to me. Certifies copies of Identity Docs sounds too extreme. 

Request and review their accreditation policy. Make an appointment with the Accreditation Manager, failing that the  ETQA Manager and raise your concerns.

I have not seen this request in my seven years of accredited training experience.

Good luck!

Share on Social Media

Alexander Robertson
    Participant

The assessor and moderator should already be accredited with the SETA and thus only a letter confirming that they will assess and moderate plus a copy of their accreditation should suffice.  The assessor and moderator are not applying for EOS only the provider.

Share on Social Media

Hi Lynel. I’m ok with that but my worry is assessors and moderators agreeing to giving their certified IDs, will they agreed to that? I read a post here not so long ago where an assessor asked providers to pay an upfront fee for using his registration docs and I think only 1 agreed to pay so already there are these ‘mistrust’ issues.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Seriously?

If you maintain quality assurance at all times you will know that the Compliance Check Document page 10 (clearly stipulating that for extension of scope applications for learning programmes) reads: “Submission of CV, certified I.D. copy and certified qualifications and proof of legal relationship with provider and proof of constituent registration.

This is stated.  Don’t go against it, and if so, then you can’t complain about waiting 2 years – it is stipulated – so adhere, submit what is required and you will be fine.

Share on Social Media

Thanks Alexander, and we did provide these AND signed SLAs between us and the assessors/moderators. Of the 3 Setas we’ve had dealings with for accreditation purposes, including this one, the assessor reports and signed SLAs have been accepted but I guess the goalpost has shifted without informing anyone.

Share on Social Media

Alexander Robertson
    Participant

It will be interesting to know which SETA is involved. I am a training provider and have NEVER had any problems like this.  No notice as far as I am aware has been sent out about the goal posts having been moved.

Share on Social Media

Alexander Robertson
    Participant

Hi, not sure to which SETA form you are referring.  I applied for EOS as provider not so long ago and the TETA form just asks for name of assessor and moderator with their accreditation numbers on the form.  The question referred to EOS and not a Learnership.  You can check on the data base of the SETA for which US the assessor and moderator is accredited.  All that the SETA should be concerned about is that the assessor and moderator are accredited for the US for which the provider is applying and that there is an agreement between the parties to assess/moderate for the provider.

Share on Social Media

Alexander Robertson
    Participant

When an assessor and moderator applies for an EOS they have to supply a copy of their CV plus certified copies of ID and qualifications including their SOR as an assessor/moderator.  This does not apply for a provider.

Share on Social Media

The 2 year wait is for reasons FAR worse than certified copies and CVs. But thank you for your input. Point taken.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Alexander, each SETA has compliance checks.  Some SETAs have gone through some terrible audits and to ensure that they are validating all supporting documents with an application, they validate what you as a provider send in, is in fact the same documents they “should” have on record.  Some providers have been sending documents from assessors and moderators (where the assessors and moderators are not even aware that they are listed under that provider).  There is a lot going on with the “fly-by-nights” and measures are put in place to ensure that what is submitted is true.

Therefore my note: submit what is required and work with the SETA.

Share on Social Media

Alexander Robertson
    Participant

I would have placed a written complaint in within 6 months and not left it so long.  Have done it in the past with good results.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Agree

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Lynel, I’m wondering whether there are members who are new to the area who don’t want to embarrass themselves about asking for more details and would appreciate some specific guidance on where to find documents – or maybe attach a document.

Share on Social Media

On a different but related note, I wonder how many Quality Departments (ex ETQAs) check directly (or even indirectly) with the assessor/s and moderator/s being used for accreditation and EOS, to confirm that they a) are aware that they are being referred to in the process and b) have given permission for this.

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Now that’s a very good question. 

Share on Social Media

Alexander Robertson
    Participant

NEVER!!

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi Sylvia, no member should be embarrassed. Some of us have been there, have the experience to assist. If a member doesn’t want to place the question within the discussion, we have email too!

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Steven, believe it, it happens at some SETAs. Unfortunately not all SETA’s have the same processes and procedures. Different industries have different requirements, stipulations, more fraud, less fraud, under a hundred providers, over a thousand providers. Frustrating, yet interesting!

Share on Social Media

Ilana Smit
    Participant

The best thing is to give the Seta what they want, or else you will just prolong the process even more. To add the three documents to your Facilitator Guide and resubmit is much easier than the fight. If you have a good relationship with your Assessor and Moderator then they should be accommodating to let them have certified copies of their documents – with all the fraud going on who can blame the SETA’s for trying to make sure they are dealing with authentic personnel. It is important for you to have a SLA with your assessor and moderator and they should already be registered with the applying SETA.

Share on Social Media

Des Squire
    Participant

Could not agree more. If what we are doing is above board and we are acting ethically in all our dealings with the SETA, the assessors and moderators then we should have no problem providing or sourcing what is required.    

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media