Training Administraive and Management Systems


Front Page Looking For… Training Managers Training Administraive and Management Systems

This topic contains 1 reply, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Tricia Sterling 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #39336

    Hi

     

    I am currently reviewing a couple of Learner / Training / Skills software based management systems – in a urgent quest to reduce the growing number of (wo)man hours spent on data capture, admin, client reports, and of course, completingthe notorious Mandatory Grant Applications ….. 

     

    I would really appreciate some discussion on what is available, costing, user friendliness and efficiency – is it saving you valuable time and energy?

     

    I am especially interested in systems that are cost friendly to ISDFs.

    Share on Social Media
  • #39352

    hi there. we have implemented a fantastic system which I worked on when we piloted it. the designer is Daniel Avnon daniel@avnonconsulting.com or you are welcome to contact me sheridan.rupert@za.nampak.com

    Share on Social Media
  • #39351

    Ian Webster
    Participant

    I’d be glad to hear what you come up with.

    I couldn’t find anyone with anything that gave me what I wanted.  But I didn’t look at any of the Payroll/HR packages.

    I eventually created a database (Excel) with a separate line item for each employee on each course.  A ‘front page’ form allows me to access an employee and display all training done by that employee.

    It’s not great but it works. I tried creating something on Oracle which is our Payroll system but it’s too cumbersome.  What I’ve got isn’t a management system so much as a reporting system. I can manage the budget with it, but not the training.  I don’t think that the Pyaroll systems on the market would manage training; they would also only be reporting tools.

    Share on Social Media
  • #39350

    then Daniel’s the man – Avnon Consulting. you can plan and report – all in one!

    Share on Social Media
  • #39349

    Joanette Terblanche
    Participant

    Hi

     

    You can visit http://www.itsholdings.co.za or phone 011 425 5600 and ask for the Marketing Division – they will direct you to the relevant consultants.

     

    Regards

    Joanette

     

     

    Share on Social Media
  • #39348

    Thanks, Sheridan! Like Ian, I also use Excel, but my expertise is definately lacking, hence the headache of hours /days of admin that I KNOW can be done so much more quickly and efficiently with some good IT programming know how, and user knowledge.

    My experience with the general HR/Payroll systems is that they are geared towards the payroll function, so the SD and EE add ons are not particularly effective. Their main advantage is direct access to the full, current staff database.

     

    Share on Social Media
  • #39347

    Dear Tracey

    We have TIMS. 

    Afford me a few minutes of your time to introduce you to TIMS (Training Institute Management System).

    We developed a complete training institute management system (BIMS) for the use of a large training provider in Gauteng. This was re-written in using latest technology and methodologies and is called TIMS.

    This is a total Training Facility and Learner Management System. It:

    • Manages all training resources including facilitators/trainers, venues/classrooms, training equipment and materials as well as catering requirements. Several reports are generated for all such resource requirements. These reports are used by different sections within the training facility to affect their responsibilities in the value chain.
    • Is a total Training Institute Management System. It tracks and reports on a learner’s training progress and history; it produces learner reports as well as prints learner certificates upon successful completion of a course/unit standard. The student report is in a format acceptable to most SETAS. It has a built in Quality Management System where amongst other features only registered Assessors captured on the system can declare a learner competent/not yet competent upon completion of a unit standard.
    • Provides course scheduling. The schedule is converted into a comprehensive marketing document that is e-mailed to a selected customer data base. Course booking confirmation letters are generated and e-mailed to students.
    • Includes a total debtor management system. It produces statements and tracks debtor arrears. The statement is a useful input document into an accounting system and is also used as a payment reference document for contract trainers/facilitators.
    • Access rights to functionalities on TIMS is managed and specified by the Master User. 
    • Produces several management reports – all such reports are both in text and graphic format, also provides full SETA reports.
    • Is a single reference point for a help desk. All customer enquiries can be answered by accessing the system.
    • Developed in SA for the SA education and training industry,

    Case Example

    BIMS was used as an admin and management tool, monitoring revenue per various categories, keeping track of invoicing and payments directly in BIMS, an annual loss of R11m in 2004, was turned around to a break even in 2009. Continuing to use BIMS as a management tool, the break even was changed into a profit in the next financial year.

    Share on Social Media
  • #39346

    Ian Webster
    Participant

    Sounds great, but too scary for a 250-employee organisation…. 🙂

    Jeanette Kalp said:

    Dear Tracey

    We have TIMS. 

    Afford me a few minutes of your time to introduce you to TIMS (Training Institute Management System).

    We developed a complete training institute management system (BIMS) for the use of a large training provider in Gauteng. This was re-written in using latest technology and methodologies and is called TIMS.

    Share on Social Media
  • #39345

    Hi Jeanette

    This too sounds like a fantastic TMS to have and I appreciate your lengthy description of what it offers! My concern is of course, cost – how much does it cost?? Part of the challenge for small companies and ISDFs,like myself, is that what is available is very costly – in terms of our budgets anyway. Are there various options, such a ‘lite’ version – on a sliding cost scale? Could it be used to manage numerous clients’ training admin and reports?

    Perhaps, part of a Training Manager/ISDF’s essential skill set needs to be expertise in Excel and MS Database…!

    Share on Social Media
  • #39344

    Hi Jeanette, i will also recommend Jeannete’s TIMS, i had an opportunitty to use its predecessor LIMS, and currently going for the TIMS, contact them and request a demo, i think you’ll luv it, it meets 99% of the SETA’s requirements if i may put boldly like that.

    Share on Social Media
  • #39343

    Hi Ian, request a demo, ull love it! dont be scared!

    Ian Webster said:

    Sounds great, but too scary for a 250-employee organisation…. 🙂

    Jeanette Kalp said:

    Dear Tracey

    We have TIMS. 

    Afford me a few minutes of your time to introduce you to TIMS (Training Institute Management System).

    We developed a complete training institute management system (BIMS) for the use of a large training provider in Gauteng. This was re-written in using latest technology and methodologies and is called TIMS.

     

    Share on Social Media
  • #39342

    Ian Webster
    Participant

    Thanks Robert,

    But it appears to be a fabulous system designed for service providers. 

    I am a simple employer needing to keep record of which employee has done what and submit reports to SETA, BEE, etc.. I need something much simpler that will integrate with my payroll and keep records for me.  I don’t want to pay invoices, manage classrooms and facilitators, etc.

    Robert Sekwele said:

    Hi Ian, request a demo, ull love it! dont be scared!

    Ian Webster said:

    Sounds great, but too scary for a 250-employee organisation…. 🙂

    Jeanette Kalp said:

    Dear Tracey

    We have TIMS. 

    Afford me a few minutes of your time to introduce you to TIMS (Training Institute Management System).

    We developed a complete training institute management system (BIMS) for the use of a large training provider in Gauteng. This was re-written in using latest technology and methodologies and is called TIMS.

     

    Share on Social Media
  • #39341

    Hi Ian, I am needing very much the same type of TMS as you – and there seems to be nothing relatively simple and affordable available. Are there any programming fundis out there who would be willing to consult and develop a TMS that links to payroll and provides an efficient means of collating information for Mandatory Grant Applications, Employment Equity Reports and BEE data?? I would also like a system that automatically updates employee’s training histories. Is this only available to large corporates with big budgets?

    Ian Webster said:

    Thanks Robert,

    But it appears to be a fabulous system designed for service providers. 

    I am a simple employer needing to keep record of which employee has done what and submit reports to SETA, BEE, etc.. I need something much simpler that will integrate with my payroll and keep records for me.  I don’t want to pay invoices, manage classrooms and facilitators, etc.

    Robert Sekwele said:

    Hi Ian, request a demo, ull love it! dont be scared!

    Ian Webster said:

    Sounds great, but too scary for a 250-employee organisation…. 🙂

    Jeanette Kalp said:

    Dear Tracey

    We have TIMS. 

    Afford me a few minutes of your time to introduce you to TIMS (Training Institute Management System).

    We developed a complete training institute management system (BIMS) for the use of a large training provider in Gauteng. This was re-written in using latest technology and methodologies and is called TIMS.

     

    Share on Social Media
  • #39340

    Ian and Tracey
    give me a short write up of what it is you need. you can contact me on 0825704636 or jeanette@identix.co.za. I think with very little work we can create “a lite” version for your need. I think most of what is already available with very little extra development will give you that. if you have the need many others will have the same need.
    jeanette

    Share on Social Media
  • #39339

    Ian Webster
    Participant

    Hi Jeanette,

    I have sent you a (not so short) write up.

    Jeanette Kalp said:

    Ian and Tracey
    give me a short write up of what it is you need. you can contact me on 0825704636 or jeanette@identix.co.za. I think with very little work we can create “a lite” version for your need. I think most of what is already available with very little extra development will give you that. if you have the need many others will have the same need.
    jeanette
    Share on Social Media
  • #39338

    I think we need to open this to a wider forum, because in most cases the seta’s want us to have such a system for record keeping and ensuring that there is data availaable on request, but they rarely check up on that, thus making training providers relax, and i think this TIMS will be a very valuable tool if given a chance by seta’s because it can be intergrated with their system for uploading of student data.

    Jeanette Kalp said:

    Dear Tracey

    We have TIMS. 

    Afford me a few minutes of your time to introduce you to TIMS (Training Institute Management System).

    We developed a complete training institute management system (BIMS) for the use of a large training provider in Gauteng. This was re-written in using latest technology and methodologies and is called TIMS.

    This is a total Training Facility and Learner Management System. It:

    • Manages all training resources including facilitators/trainers, venues/classrooms, training equipment and materials as well as catering requirements. Several reports are generated for all such resource requirements. These reports are used by different sections within the training facility to affect their responsibilities in the value chain.
    • Is a total Training Institute Management System. It tracks and reports on a learner’s training progress and history; it produces learner reports as well as prints learner certificates upon successful completion of a course/unit standard. The student report is in a format acceptable to most SETAS. It has a built in Quality Management System where amongst other features only registered Assessors captured on the system can declare a learner competent/not yet competent upon completion of a unit standard.
    • Provides course scheduling. The schedule is converted into a comprehensive marketing document that is e-mailed to a selected customer data base. Course booking confirmation letters are generated and e-mailed to students.
    • Includes a total debtor management system. It produces statements and tracks debtor arrears. The statement is a useful input document into an accounting system and is also used as a payment reference document for contract trainers/facilitators.
    • Access rights to functionalities on TIMS is managed and specified by the Master User. 
    • Produces several management reports – all such reports are both in text and graphic format, also provides full SETA reports.
    • Is a single reference point for a help desk. All customer enquiries can be answered by accessing the system.
    • Developed in SA for the SA education and training industry,

    Case Example

    BIMS was used as an admin and management tool, monitoring revenue per various categories, keeping track of invoicing and payments directly in BIMS, an annual loss of R11m in 2004, was turned around to a break even in 2009. Continuing to use BIMS as a management tool, the break even was changed into a profit in the next financial year.

    Share on Social Media
  • #39337

    Tricia Sterling
    Participant

    Hi has anyone identified a free or inexpensive LMS?

    I need to track training attended by staff and a way of reporting on training with a staff of 500. Any advice would be appreciated.

    Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media