The QCTO re-invents the wheel

Front Page Looking For… Seeking Accreditation or Training material The QCTO re-invents the wheel

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 89 total)
  • Author

I have recently embarked on the laborious process of redesigning a curriculum according to the specifications of the QCTO. Mind-numbing to say the least. 

Basically it’s a rehashing of what we already have except that the active voice must be used rather than the passive voice as in the “SAQA” format. and it is excessively repetitive in that for every little segment one has to say what the tuition provider specs are rather than saying it once for the whole qualification. It’s not rocket science although it would seem so the the uninitiated. New terminology that one has to get to grips with are things like

• Occupational pathway
    • Occupational purpose
    • Occupational tasks
    • Occupational responsibilities

Oh well!

Jacqui

Share on Social Media
    Hannes Nel
    Participant

It is probably good mental exercise to write a curriculum in the new format, Jacqui, but it is worthless unless you have been approved by the QCTO as a Development Quality Partner and used the services of a Qualifications Development Facilitator also approved by the QCTO (she or he will cost you a bundle). In addition, nobody can write a curriculum without consulting members of a working group who should all have some interest in the qualification (scoping, you see). I have an idea that you probably know this, but others might get the wrong impression if we don’t point the structure out. Regards, Dr Hannes Nel, MD Mentornet  

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

it can be fun, but getting the comunity of expert practices (CEP) together can be tricky. the new development process does require you to have some project management skills to implement.

i started in 2009 with developing these qualifications, and finally am able to get the qualifications registered. The QCTO has finally (he said hopefully) settled on the templates and criteria for registration and will not be changing it (again).

but yes it can be costly, and time consuming. but i have done 21 qualifications and piloted 1 to completion. it also requires a new implementation methodology.

anybody embarking on this process can contact me if you want to know about my experiences, highlights and low lights.

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

it can be fun, but getting the comunity of expert practices (CEP) together can be tricky. the new development process does require you to have some project management skills to implement.

i started in 2009 with developing these qualifications, and finally am able to get the qualifications registered. The QCTO has finally (he said hopefully) settled on the templates and criteria for registration and will not be changing it (again).

but yes it can be costly, and time consuming. but i have done 21 qualifications and piloted 1 to completion. it also requires a new implementation methodology.

anybody embarking on this process can contact me if you want to know about my experiences, highlights and low lights.

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 89 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Share on Social Media