Single provider, multiple QC accreditations?

Front Page Looking For… The Help Desk Single provider, multiple QC accreditations?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Nigel Shipston 1 year ago.

• Author

Charles Dey
    Participant

Good Morning,
    Please could you assist me with the following question:
    There are three bodies responsible for quality of education and training in South Africa:
    QC for General and Further Education and Training (Umalusi)
    QC for Higher Education (Council on Higher Education)
    QC for Trades and Occupations (QCTO).
    Where a private provider is currently accredited by a SETA and, as a result, falls under the QCTO as far as accreditation is concerned, is it possible for that provider to also be accredited by Umalusi and the CHE?
    A response from the Skills Universe Wise Ones would be much appreciated,
    All the best,
    Charles Dey

Share on Social Media

Nigel Shipston
    Participant

Hi Charles,
    If the provider intends offering training within the fields covered by Umalusi and CHE, yes they can be spread over the different Quality Councils. It is not common, but there is nothing to stop a provider from extending into the other Quality Councils scope, provided of course they comply with the criteria of the relative Council.

Share on Social Media

Suzanne Hattingh
    Participant

Hi, I understand it like Charles. Most of my work currently is assisting private provides with CHE accreditation – even if they are accredited under other QCs for programmes belonging with the other QCs.

Share on Social Media

Nigel Shipston
    Participant

Much the same as with the SETA’s, you work under a Primary SETA but nothing stops a provider from offering programmes under other SETA umbrella’s via the MoU between SETA’s. In this case a provider can be accredited with QCTO for an Occupational Qualification, but if they intend offering something in the Higher Education range, then they may apply to CHE. This however is a far more rigourous and costly exercise than for example QCTO accreditation.

Share on Social Media

Charles Dey
    Participant

Thanks very much Nigel and Suzanne. Does then the provider in question apply to their primary SETA for accreditation for various qualifications under an MOU between that SETA and Umalusi andCHE, or must one apply from the start for accreditation from Umalusi and CHE?
    Many thanks

Share on Social Media

Nigel Shipston
    Participant

No problem Charles, they just go direct to the QC they want to apply to. As I recall CHE is an online application, while Umalusi requires you to first submit an online letter of intent in order to establish that the application is within their scope of accreditation.

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media