Sick notes from a Sangoma

Front Page Looking For… HR & Personnel Practitioners Sick notes from a Sangoma

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Tass Schwab
    Participant

Someone recently posed an interesting question to me regarding a health note from a Sangoma. I knew that it would be accepted but did some research and came across this short but informative article on http://www.hrfuture.net/legal/is-a-sick-note-from-a-sangoma-valid.php?Itemid=938

The article does not seem to have a date to it and I know that the Act was passed in 2007. What is the status right now? I am curious. 

Share on Social Media
    Nicole van Eeden
    Participant

Hi Tass.  The only situations that we have dealt with lately is that the note must be accepted as long as the Sangoma  is registered as a medical practitioner or traditional healer. The employer is also allowed to question any sick note and investigate the credibility of the “medical practitioner” should he have his doubts.  This is rather a touchy subject and can cause quite a dispute if not handled correctly. I don’t want to go into details about the medical side but in order for someone to register as a medical practitioner, they have to produce the proof where they obtained their medical knowledge.  Some medical doctors do decide to go back to their traditional roots, but our clients who receive sick notes from employees who went to a Sangoma and produce a handwritten note on a scrap piece of paper with no practice number, well they have had the full right not to accept it because it is not supported by any medical board and the employee is basically putting his health in the hands of an amateur.

Nicole van Eeden
    Participant

Oh,,and here is the section straight off of the SA Labour Guide.

What is a medical certificate? It is a document issued and signed by someone who is certified to diagnose and treat patients and who is registered with a professional council. This may include dentists, psychologists, interns and nurses. Some sangomas or traditional healers do belong to a professional association, but as this is avoluntary association they are excluded as persons who may issue a medical certificate.”

Wilma de Villiers
    Participant

This is very interesting.

It is dicussions like this that makes it so worthwhile to be a member of this group.

Thank you for sharing, Nicole

Tass Schwab
    Participant

Thanks for the thoughts thus far… 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Share on Social Media