Services SETA

This topic contains 1 reply, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Lynel Farrell 2 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Jennifer Williams
    Participant

Hi to all

Can anyone shed some light- the Services SETA sent out an email to Providers last week stating that they have suspended all site visits- not sure for how long. 

I have tried to contact them for more information- I have a feeling that members of the skills universe may know more.

Share on Social Media

DK Teyim
    Participant

oh great, i would love to hear more if someone has information as well. 

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Hi Jennifer, there are a number of members who have raised this and I have seen a copy of the communication that one of our members provided to me.  

From Portal Publishing we are trying to get a formal response, and as soon as we have it/if we receive it we will post immediately.

Share on Social Media

Yes please Sylvia. We had a site visit scheduled last week, which was ‘postponed’. Shortly thereafter, we received the mail in question. Have also not been able to reach our contact people. Will be grateful for any news

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi all, according to the letter received by providers, it is stipulated that the process will run for a period of up to 8 months (starting the 22 June 2014).  Does this mean that verifications, extension of scope for assessors, moderators and providers are halted?  If so, there is some businesses that will be closing doors.  Individuals will loose their jobs!  This can not be allowed.  Thousands of learners are affected, urgent assistance is required.  QCTO or SAQA must step in and give all those affected a plan B

Share on Social Media

Tass Schwab
    Participant

Woah…. would love to know more… this feels most odd…

Share on Social Media

Jennifer Williams
    Participant

Thanks Sylvia

I have just been to their website and on the opening page they have posted a notification stating that they have appointed forensic investigators.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant
    Services SETA Vision
    A professional world-class services sector supporting inclusive growth and development.
    Mission
    The Services SETA aims to achieve this by ensuring that:

• Accountability, mobility,practitioners in the sector are established and maintained through professional bodies and quality partners;
    • Skills are globally benchmarked and evaluated against services excellence standards;
    • A skills policy in support of inclusive growth and development is adopted to address the three key challenges of poverty, unemployment and inequity;
    • Skills development addressing both national and sectoral priorities while supporting employers and learners from both the first and the second economy.
    Values

The overarching values that the Services SETA aims to promote are:
    1. Commitment to servicing stakeholders with improved customer service
    2. To become a world class public entity
    3. To always conduct the affairs of the SSETA with integrity, transparency and honesty
    4. To support both the sectoral and national priorities through skills development
    5. To subscribe to high levels of professionalism through life-long learning and continuous improvement
    6. To respect all stakeholders.

Absolute non-sense, how is this possible?  Where is the communication and respect to providers now gone?  The poor learners are being disadvantaged and again we are left in the dark.  I should be taken off my laptop for the rest of the week.  Where to from here?

Share on Social Media

We’re also greatly inconvenienced; it’s most mystifying behaviour not to have an explanation. If we don’t get clarification soon it’ll be difficult to salvage a sense of professional mutual respect and consideration. 

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Has anyone got any further information regarding the Services SETA who has halted all site visits for the next 8 months???

Share on Social Media

Des Squire
    Participant

The explanation I have rom the SETA is that there is a forensic audit taking place and everything is on hold until this has been completed. I am trying to establish possible duration!!!

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Thanks Des!  It’s a pity that everything is halted.  The letter sent to providers indicate a period of 8 months.  If this is true, then some providers will be closing doors, learners will loose opportunities of getting a job (as no qualifications will be approved until next year.  Surely there must  be a plan B?  I hope that you can get us good news.

Share on Social Media

Jennifer Williams
    Participant

Thanks to everyone for sharing thoughts and insights about this- my concern is for all the Learners out there waiting for certificates and verification of results- 8 months is a long time.  I will escalate my investigation and see if I can get  any more information

Share on Social Media

Wilma de Villiers
    Participant

We were in a similar position with the ETDP SETA.  There was also a forensic investigation.  Fraud was committed with the verification/ uploading of competencies.  We were endorsed after verification and then had to wait four months before our window was uploaded and we could then only request for further verification.  It affected some of our students because they wanted to further their studies but the training provider requested an official statement of results, which we could of course not supply.

We were very frustrated because the students were upset with us as training provider but on the other side I had sympathy with the ETDP SETA.  They suspected fraud (and must have had a good reason) and had to put everything on hold not to jeopardize the validity of the qualifications. 

I took my hat off for them that they could sort it out within four months. 

Share on Social Media

Jennifer Williams
    Participant

Thanks Wilma- it really saddens me that we have to put up with such doubtful service and then explain the delay to our Learners. 

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

A skills-universe member Jackie Smith has posted as follow:

“We were advised that No site visits would be taking place for NON-Accredited training service providers due to internal restructuring.

We were also advised (in writing) that it was no longer necessary for accredited providers to have site visits for or register skills programmes for qualifications that they were already accredited for!”

Are other members able to provide further confirmation?

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Is there any news of what exactly is going on with the Services Seta?  I can not believe that there are no news or a solution given to learners awaiting verifications for qualifications?  If anybody has any idea of what is happening and how Providers must answer the learners as to why no qualifications can be verified for the next 8 months, please share this. 

Share on Social Media

Jennifer Williams
    Participant

Hi Lynel

I have written to a SSETA liaison officer but have had no response.  Any one else got any more news for us?

Share on Social Media

Renee’ McGibbon
    Participant

We certainly do want and need to know more. I have requested more information from several SSETA employees and managers without any response to date.

This is a major issue for service providers who deal with the SSETA in any capacity!

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi Jennifer, this is too strange.  This is not the ethical way to treat providers, stakeholders or worst, the learners.  My only thought can be that there must be fraudulent activities or large amounts of money missing.  Maybe academic fraud?  Something is not right, and we cant even ask the QCTO to help us.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi Renee, if Services Seta does not respond to many requests, where do we go from here?  Is this allowed?  Who is going to help the Providers and learners now?  How do we deal with the volumes of learners?  What do you say to the learners who will be turned down jobs because of a qualification completed but no certificate or validation thereof? 

Share on Social Media

Renee’ McGibbon
    Participant

Hi Lynell and all who are following,

I believe that we as South Africans are far too complacent. Perhaps we should join together as end users of SSETA processes to lobby for answers and an immediate solution to the problem. This is as unacceptable situation and we cannot just accept the status quo.

Share on Social Media

Janelle Gravett
    Participant

HI All

I agree with this!

Why don’t we request a meeting with the CEO of SSETA, (if he is still there!).  Not being negative here but you never know what happens at the SSETA!

Meeting with the CEO as a body and possibly with some Professional Body representation will give weight to our request and will hopefully get some answers.

Share on Social Media

I agree with Renee and Janelle – We really are far too inactive as civic participants in South Africa. While I understand a forensic audit is an important and onerous task, to leave us in the dark to this extent is not acceptable. We need a platform formed by us and for us so we can mobilize our interests and those whom we serve in a constructive manner. This platform will also assist us in getting and disseminating information responsibly. Just look at how Skills Universe is so useful in facilitating and enabling a discussion such as this.

Yes, let’s set up a meeting!

Share on Social Media

Renee’ McGibbon
    Participant

Hi Manya and Ganelle,

Absolutely! You can reach me on renee@setaservices.co.za or on 084 678 4254. Let’s stand together and do this for the benefit of all.

I have received a second letter sent out to providers, but am still completely in the dark as the letter does not answer my questions out to SSETA.

Share on Social Media

Jennifer Williams
    Participant

Hi Renee

I also received the second letter and received certificates via a courier today- so it seems as though some areas are still active.  I suggest that we each send a letter/ email to the CEO asking for answers.

Share on Social Media

Renee’ McGibbon
    Participant

Hi Jennifer. I will certainly take your advice and write a letter to the CEO. Do you have contact details?

Share on Social Media

Des Squire
    Participant

Herewith details of the various items of correspondence sent out by Services SETA. Took a while to get it but I did eventually get a response. Hope this helps 

Share on Social Media

Jennifer Williams
    Participant

Thanks Des- I have also received these documents and a batch of certificates from the SSETEA for a group of Learners from 2013.

Share on Social Media

DK Teyim
    Participant

Thanks alot Des

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Please can anybody give an update regarding this discussion.  Has the verifications of qualifications been started or is everything still on hold???

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media