Services SETA retracts eLearning provision

Front Page Looking For… e-Learning Service Providers Services SETA retracts eLearning provision

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Frank Smit 2 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

This is a update posted by John Arnesen that I have reposted in the Forum so that I can share.
    Just saw a letter from Services SETA retracting their announcement to accredit e-learning providers.
    No explanation given….
    Hugely disappointing especially as its a global trend and gets special focus in the DHET White Paper on the Post school system

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

My question: we have recently heard that Getsmarter has been bought by USA company 2U. As I understand – that would be accredited by CHE. Is there a difference between occupational qualifications and Higher Education?

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

A further comment – is it possible for us to identify who are the eLearning providers? Are they all accredited by Services Seta?

Share on Social Media

Frank Smit
      Participant

Sylvia, In answer to your query about e-learning companies, speaking for ourselves, until recently we have not seen ourselves as a training company but rather as a provider of services to trainers, whether these are corporate, independent or educational. So there has been no need to be registered with the Services SETA or any other SETA – it is our clients who need to register.
      Our interest in this subject is mainly related to the processes and systems we use therefore, and to ensure that we are “aligned” in that sense with what the SETAs are doing so we can support providers in this market.
      More recently, we have more also developed some online courses with SME’s, and accreditation of these is becoming an issue too, although our approach is either not to accredit them, or to go the higher learning route rather.
      In 10 years of involvement with e-learning in SA, our experience in dealing with the SETAs on this issue has been totally frustrating however, as they just don’t seem to “get it” that learning is moving/has moved in an “online direction” years ago. Their letter of retraction is therefore interesting!

Share on Social Media

Frikkie Stoltz
    Participant

Hi
    Received the following email from Andile Nongogo, CEO of services SEta re E Learning

“The email you received you received on E-learning was not properly sanctioned by the SETA it was sent prematurely to the providers. A retraction letter should have been sent to you, if not Thandi will action this. The SSETA is in the process of developing e-learning platform.”

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

Hi Frikkie,
      Thank you for this posting. However, it is not entirely clear.

Please can you clarify with the Service Seta CEO:
      Does it mean that you only should have received a letter? (I suspect a “not” is missing in the response you received).
      And does it mean that you will receive a retraction of the original retraction letter?

This is critically important to many providers who have spent a fortune in aligning and re-aligning, and aligning again!

Share on Social Media

Frank Smit
      Participant

HI Frikkie, thanks for your comments and posts. I read this “The SSETA is in the process of developing e-learning platform….” and was even more confused than before, unless it means of course that SSETA is tying up with a provider to supply such a system which everyone will then be forced to use….not unlikely, as it would be within the control paramaters we are used to. If it is actually developing from scratch its own e-learning system then it has really lost the plot as there are close to 1000 e-learning systems already available. The sooner we find out what is going on there the better!

Share on Social Media

Frikkie Stoltz
    Participant

hi

i contacted the services seta to find the procedure to follow to upload e learning on their new system. They just came back with as email stating that they do not accept application for elearning.

I approach then the CEO on why this was done and he responded as per my above quote. We never received any letter of retraction, prior to my first email, from Services.

I am trying to setup a meeting with Mr Andile to discuss this further. The response that we received are very vague

will keep you posted

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

Thanks Frikkie – I have also asked our Portal Publishing CEO Alan to please try and get hold of the Services Seta CEO directly – just to clarify exactly what the situation is.
      We will all stay in touch – and post whatever we receive.

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media