Services SETA DG funding recourse

Front Page Looking For… Broad-based Black Economic Empowerment Services SETA DG funding recourse

This topic contains 1 reply, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  sylvia hammond 2 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Ashwin Heerachund
    Participant

Hi

Is anyone aware of any form/s or recourse available for the Services SETA declining a discrtionary grant application, without any opportunity to remediate or without any valid reasons provided for declining.

I have been sent around in circles in an atempt to get clarity, without any success?

Share on Social Media

Charles Dey
    Participant

Hi Ashwin,

Unfortunately the operative word here is “Discretionary”- in other words, granting of the funds is entirely at the discretion of the SETS concerned.

Have you explored the options which may be open to you through SAQA? 

All the best,

Charles Dey

Share on Social Media

Ashwin Heerachund
    Participant

Hi Charles

Thank you for the response. I do agre that its at the discretion of the SETA.

However, when ‘non-compliance’ is the reason for non-compliance, its makes the SETA’s decision highly questionable, especially for a business that ticks all the boxes.

I was not aware of possible opportunities withy SAQA – any possibility of additional info / link etc- would be most appreciated…

Share on Social Media

Hi Ashwin,

I certainly haven’t heard anything and we are quite involved. have you tried asking Ntombi Ndlovu? ntombin@serviceseta.org.

Share on Social Media

Louis Nel
    Participant

Hi Ashwin

I am no expert but I know that the SETA MUST provide you with a motivation rejection letter. You  are allowed to appeal  this.The SETA should have an  appeals board which should evaluate your submission. They are not just allowed to tell you your grant was not approved without motivation.

Louis

Share on Social Media

Ashwin Heerachund
    Participant

Thanks Lois

I was also under the impression that at the very least, the SETA should provide motivation for the rejection…

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Hi Ashwin,

Despite the fact that the funding is discretionary, in terms of our Constitution we have a right to fair administrative action.  The right is given effect by the Promotion of Administrative Justice Act (PAJA). So I believe most people would interpret this to mean that if something is refused one should at least expect a communication indicating why it was refused – and if it is something that could be remedied, be given a chance to remedy it. 

All SETA administrative actitivities, such as grants would be covered by this legislation. However, in my personal experience of SETAs, I have not found many employees who have even heard of PAJA – never mind understand the implications it has for their daily administrative duties.

To my mind, that is not the fault of the administrative personnel, but of the SETA Boards and SETA management.

Therefore, taking it up with the clerical staff won’t be of much assistance, but I would suggest address your query to the CEO and the Board Chairperson.  

Share on Social Media

Ashwin Heerachund
    Participant

Hi Sylvia

Thank you for your response.

I do agree, and it is on this ground primarily that i have requested a meeting with the SETA ceo.

What concerns me the most is the almost non-existence of effective communication on the SETA’s part.

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Hi Ashwin,

Please let us know how you get on and any outcomes of the meeting – I know many skills-universe members will be interested.

Share on Social Media

Ashwin Heerachund
    Participant

I will do so Sylvia.

Share on Social Media

Ashwin Heerachund
    Participant

Dear SU members.

I have managed to meet with the SSETA CEO. It was only after his investigation that it was determined that we had indeed applied in an incorrect window. Whats most fraustrating is that it was virtually impossible for anyone at SETA to have told me this months ago.

From my brief interaction with him, he has acknowledged the need for improved communication between SSETA and its stakeholders, as well as the need for greater effeciency with SSETA processes.

Lets wait and see…

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Thank you for the update Ashwin.

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media