SCAM ALERT!!!EXCEEDSKILLS

Front Page Looking For… Learning Material Development SCAM ALERT!!!EXCEEDSKILLS

This topic contains 126 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  Fiona de Beer Nel 2 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Graeme Lategan
    Participant

Hi All – LAST YEAR  late we picked up an ad on SKILLS UNIVERSE – for a company EXCEEDSKILLS.

They were selling OTDEP program at a good rate – naturally we jumped..in the haste we did not actually check their accreditation and company status – Simply put – you pay – they send an online link – you connect and you have a decent looking site – where you can do the program..The material is real and according to SETA. 

Alarm bells went off when I picked up that an activity deadline was due – before the preceding tasks –

It was then that I looked closer and found nothing linking the material to a legitimate provider –

I have traced them a bit – but addresses are false – numbers dont exists and I even found a Facebook page – which is fake – The material seems to have been purchased and merely resold – since the price is so good – there is no way they could not get a response and cash in…I traced another buyer who has had a few company executives taken in the scam…Apparently the OWNER OF exceedskills- JACO BLOM had a heart attack – but nothing further – FURTHER INVESTIGATIONS have led more to a developing country wide scam involving other people – In one case a person associated with EXCEEDSKILLS was working with a company in CAPE TOWN – he has disappeared – Gone – the company has nothing on him – so they say.

I have activated some tracers on the company – I will find them – Please send out an ALERT to every member across all groups.  THANKS 

Share on Social Media

I hope you get them Graeme. Keep me updated?

Share on Social Media

Cleo Black
    Participant

Another group of fly-by-nights preying on clients and using low prices as bait. I do have to encourage training providers who are purchasing material to not be fooled by a low price. Stick with developers who have a proven track record and material that stands up to the accreditation process and don’t be afraid to ask questions before hand!

Graeme, I would be happy to offer you a discounted rate on the material you are looking for to hopefully minimize your losses. If you could just provide me with the qualification number I will be happy to send you a quote, the curriculum and some samples.

Cleo Black

SmartScript

072 037 4134

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Flippen ********** (oh I am swearing now in 50 different languages) what, agge no man!!  Time to report them, JC1 group – please ensure that this person/company is on radar – will report this to the DHET – let SAQA place these names in the public domain as bogus – I hate seeing this.  Graeme, I am so very sorry – I wish I could take this terrible experience away from you.  A complete loss for words.  Dammit man, why, why, why

Share on Social Media

If you find this guy im looking for him. He got me good!!! R5600 he got out of me.

Share on Social Media

Like Cleo, I too would be happy to give you a quote for the materials. You have seen a sample of my work.

Share on Social Media

Andrea Kellett
    Participant

Hi Graeme,

I’m sorry to hear your story. I may know how to reach Jaco Blom – send me an email and I’ll send you the details I have andrea@thrive.co.za.

Andrea

Share on Social Media

TRACEY MCLENNAN
    Participant

Is it possible to have a list of material development companies that are bogus (if there is enough evidence) also as training providers could we not ask for endorsements from Skills Universe before we buy material.  I always ask for references but they could be false as there is no way I can really check.  We have all bought material and had a few hiccups but if the developer is able to assist, that’s fine, so I would not like people to name and shame everyone, but these real culprits do need to be identified.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

With you Celeste, I want to break his bones!  And then place this on Skills Universe for everyone to see.  This is so wrong – how does this person sleep at night?  Absolutely disgusting man.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

What???????  No man, this is getting bad.  I am sorry Belinda

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Tracey, we wanted to place this on Skills Universe, but was advised against this.  We might have to name and shame in private, but I know that JC1 is working on a possible page to include this for providers, but we are seeking legal advise first before we publish this.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

I think I want this address too

Share on Social Media

Zelda Rose
    Participant

Graeme

Thank you for posting this alert.

As material developers, Helene and I get these issues raised weekly.  It is such a shame that there must be such people in our trade.  It would be great if there was a way to name and shame the scammers

Gemini Training Material

Share on Social Media

Hi Graeme, I am sorry to hear about your experience.  There are so many fly-by-nights or people that aren’t ethical in the training industry.  I have had a few let’s call them “challenging experiences” and one was also with a material development company in Parklands Cape Town many years ago.  I paid for a full qualification and I didn’t receive the full set, as they were developing it bit by bit.

I hope that you find them.

Share on Social Media

Lyne we have all been complaining about these buggers for too long now. Every providers’ image and reputation relies heavily on the materials they use and yet that is the most unregulated!

Share on Social Media

Graeme Lategan
    Participant

will give it anytime but trust me – I am not one of those guys to let it go I will hunt you –

Share on Social Media

Graeme Lategan
    Participant

info@graemelategan.com – thanks

Share on Social Media

Graeme Lategan
    Participant

I will

Share on Social Media

Graeme Lategan
    Participant

it happens – normally I am sharp but oh well – 

Share on Social Media

Graeme Lategan
    Participant

I will find him trust me

Share on Social Media

Graeme Lategan
    Participant

you are superb Celest

Share on Social Media

Graeme Lategan
    Participant

thanks we will chat

Share on Social Media

Fiona de Beer Nel
    Participant

I think IQSkills Academy does the same thing. I also think they purchase material from other providers and then resell it. I am working with a company that is applying for accreditation and I picked up multiple mistakes in the material, and has been stalking the owner Cremo now for almost 2 months to make amendments. But everytime a new excuse. So in my opinion if you were the developer you would have been able to make the amendments in 2 days tops.

But if I am wrong about this I am sorry. If you are not willing to send an SLA then that also makes me suspiciuos

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi Zelda, this is serious.  Please could you forward me any information and evidence that you have picked up thus far.  I have a register that I am working on, and are in the process of creating a page on our website of bogus providers, developers and consultants.  Just getting legal advise first before posting this in the public domain.  We need to protect each other.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Fiona, we need to work closely together on these issues to protect providers and reputable developers as well as consultants.  I was asked two days ago, to give evidence that I am not a dishonest bogus consultant, it was absolutely terrible for me.  I have never been dishonest, and have been fighting for providers (not against providers or hurting them) – these bogus people are hurting those whom have worked many years to get some kind of respect and a place in this industry – now we are all labelled as bogus – it is killing me at the moment, believe me

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

I hear you Celeste, and my heart goes out to all providers that is faced with this – it is really hard to take this in – I don’t understand how these people cannot be caught and given prison time.  How do we protect each other?  How do you recover the costs?  I want to jump in and do something, but I don’t know what to do to help.  Oh Lord help me to help those (not sure how, but we really need to look at this, protect one another, let each other know immediately, share this with newbies to make sure they don’t fall under this trap.  This is painful.

Share on Social Media

Graeme Lategan
    Participant

oh yes – but the issue is this has never gone public – now it will – simply lodge a case of fraud against them

Share on Social Media

Fiona de Beer Nel
    Participant

I agree, but I must also add, that providers should avoid just trying to purchase the cheapest stuff on the market, because that is how this kind of thing is happening. I think one should protect your industry and our expertise.

For instance I am a qualified psychometrist, and to hear other psychometrists are testing people for R30. I mean that is just a slap in the face for my profession. So in afrikaans die deeler is so goed soos die steeler.

I do understand we all need to make a living and we try to cut budgets and all, but really are we not firing these people by supporting them in buying cheap stuff?

Share on Social Media

Graeme Lategan
    Participant

I am making progress – the trail involves many people – many many many – you will all see fireworks

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Ready to see the fireworks, standing by you!  I don’t know how to assist you, but I am ready to stand behind you all the way Graeme.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Agree.  Well Fiona,  I am not at my best, when I see that providers have to suffer.  I want to physically attack these people.  This is such a competitive industry, and seriously cut-throat.  I agree, we need to stand together, help one another in these times whether you are competition or not.  it is something we need to learn, to work together and take a stand.  We will get this right, but this takes time, lots of efforts.  I care a lot for providers and the learners is my top priority in life.  We can make a difference, but then we need to stand together on this.  Not an easy task, but I believe it is possible.  What Graeme is going through and others are not acceptable, and we need to get to the bottom of this quickly before it is too late.

Share on Social Media

Kate Sani
    Participant

Dear Graeme, sorry to hear of this. Your experience drives home how critical it is to check that ‘training providers’ are really accredited, and have accreditation for the learning programme they are offering. I urge you to contact the ETDP SETA and check on their accreditation status and report your experience. 

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi Kate, this is so big at the moment.  How do we stop this?  These fraudulent people are just becoming more by the day.  How do we protect each other?  Where do providers go?  What do you suggest?

Share on Social Media

Fiona de Beer Nel
    Participant

Hi Kate, I have checked out this company I was referring to and they are accredited. But my question then is, how did they get that material through accreditation. That is very scary. It makes me feel it is a who knows who game or a bribary, as I have gone through numerous accreditations and I can tell you now the seta would not have accepted that material. This was one of his excuses that he is accredited, and I said to him it does not matter as that does not change the state of your material. No alignment matix … am mean really is there any seta that excepts this?

Share on Social Media

Arlene Walsh
    Participant

Scadenfreude!

We have been scammed by Maria Singh who sold us numeracy materials, requiring payment upfront. When we received the materials, we put them through a plagiarism checker and they are …. you guessed it …. a hasty mish mash of plagiarised stuff from the internet. Maria has disconnected her cell phone and does not answer emails.

I spoke to somepne who had supplied a reference, which it turns out was two years old …. she has done a similar thing to him and to another provider . What can be doe about this kind of practice? 

I am not afraid to reveal her name as we have evidence of the plagiarism.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Wow!!!!!!!  Arlene, if you have any additional information on these scammers, please could you email this to me.  I have a file that I have created called:  Bogus/Shenanigans – and I try to keep this updated all the time.  We have caught out various bogus individuals (but clearly not all).  As they start coming along, I add them to the list. 

A plagirism scanner ……………… wow, now that is something that the SETAs should have for sure.  I don’t believe that any SETA has such a system (as there is nothing in place, nor regulated or documented in a policy form) which can protect providers.  This is an exellent way of getting rid of a lot of plagiarism, wow!!  So there is a solution, maybe we could suggest this to the QCTO?

Share on Social Media

Tando Qeqe
    Participant

Lynel What

Share on Social Media

Eduard Rabie
    Participant

We also had an encounter with Mr Blom… He use to work for Thrive, the company that assisted us with our initial accreditation. But he left there under a dark cloud… He then started a bogus company called Exeed. He tried tosacam us out of R30 000+. Luckily we pulled out

Share on Social Media

Ingrid van Heerden
    Participant

Jaco Blom’s destructive stint at Thrive lasted 2 months. Plagiarism is only one of his dirty tricks. Truth eventually comes to light, thankfully as it is now exposed on this platform. 

If you have any further information on him, Eduard, we would be glad for you to share either here or to me on ingrid@thrive.co.za

Share on Social Media

Lizeth de Villiers
    Participant

Graeme, I can vouch for SmartScript and their quality of material as well as their customer service. I am  probably one of Cleo’s most annoying customers ( if not the single most annoying hehehe) and I have purchased numerous Unit Standard aligned courses from them over the past 3 years. The ones that are accredited has a chain of evidence attached to it and if the material is not accredited they are honest about it and do not try to mislead their customers or make false claims.

Give them a try, I promise you, you will never use another supplier for your material and the prices are excellent.

Share on Social Media

Graeme Lategan
    Participant

Thanks Lizeth – I KNOW SMARTSCRIPT WELL – wITH OUT THEM KNOWING i HAVE MODERATD 4 OF THEIR     program this month – for their clients – Their material is outstanding – I dont buy material I instead broker the deals and then do the Assessment or moderation – but they are good Thanks

Share on Social Media

Lizeth de Villiers
    Participant

Awesome!! 🙂

Share on Social Media

Des Squire
    Participant

Ingrid,

There is a Joco Blom registered on LinedIn – might be the same person. I get the impression he might be in the UAE 

Share on Social Media

Graeme Lategan
    Participant

dont think its the same guy – but i am waiting for a pic des

Share on Social Media

Andre Du Toit
    Participant

Hi Graeme,

If you know who these guys bank with, then go to their bank, any branch and report this as a scam, they will immediately block their account. At least they wont be able to collect more money. The bank will however not release any FICA information, for this you need a court order.

I have search their domain name and found all the info for this Jaco Blom character, his cell no, even his home address, so send me a mail and I will forward it, not sure if I can publish it here.

If you email the domain registrar they will suspend their website.

If any body else wants the info contact me on empireacadamy@gmail.com

Hope this helps

Andre

Share on Social Media

Nigel Shipston
    Participant

Hi Graeme,

Did you every actually meet this Jaco Blom?  I find that most of these scam artists are very careful not to expose themselves too much so that there is little chance of tracking them down.  Just one of the little hints when dealing with these people, if they do not have easily accessible backgrounds and information, avoid!

Share on Social Media

Pamela Huygen
    Participant

You guys are probably sick of me going on and on about this, but THIS is why I told the QCTO that there is a feeling of DESPERATION in the market for them to work with learning material developers.

I am aware of a few developers out there, charging bottom bargain prices and the material is not worth the paper it’s written on.

This creates distrust between developers and providers and ultimately it is the learner who pays for it all because the provider can’t train with the nonsense sold to them.

This is also where I would like to give TETa some praise. They know our learning material very well after a long standing relationship, and when our material gets to them without a PDF letter of purchase from SmartScript, they contact us immediately.

They are the only SETA who builds a relationship with developers which is great and it has helped us and our clients tremendously!

We HAVE to get some sort of system in place for developers. A database of legit registered companies. Even better, wouldn’t it be fantastic if the SETAs and QCTO accredit learning material? It just makes sense….

What is currently happening from a developer’s point of view, is endless time and resources wasted by the SETAs re-evaluating the same learning material a thousand times over; when they could just build a relationship with developers, evaluate our material and we sell it as accredited. No more problems for the provider, no more distrust, no more fly by night operators…

It would be a dream come true for me as a developer and I’m sure providers would be quite happy with a system like that as well.

Share on Social Media

Pamela Huygen
    Participant

Well now we know 🙂

Glad you were happy with the quality of the material. We really do try.

We often get enquiries for moderators. It would be great if you could send me your details so I can refer our clients to you.

My email address:

pamela@smartscript.co.za

Share on Social Media

Pamela Huygen
    Participant

Thanks for the kind words Liz!!!

It’s wonderful to get good feedback from our clients.

Share on Social Media

Nigel Shipston
    Participant

Hey Arlene,

If the mail I received a month ago is genuine, Maria has relocated to Portugal and was offering the rights to all her “products” for R80 000.00!!?? I can forward the mail if you need contact details.

Share on Social Media

Graeme Lategan
    Participant

nope but we conversed – But we are hot on his trail – he had many accossiates who are un aware that we are closing in – they will spill the beans – to save their assess – trust me – I did this for a living…

Share on Social Media

Graeme Lategan
    Participant

Thanks Andre – but those numbers and addresses are not active – We have established that already – We are busy with the bank at this minute – its a matter of time – but trust me me we are closing in

Share on Social Media

Graeme Lategan
    Participant

Hi Pam – thanks but lets be clear its not a material supplier with reputation that is at at stake – Its the people who buy it from them posing as a training provider – but then resells that as a legitimate provider – What we need is credential forum or association away from setas and qcto – this is not a seta problem either – it was a hasty oversight – and more so Training has become so expensive that it is a luxury – so it goes without saying that we are looking to save money somewhere – The problem is that our industry as a whole is unregulated – pricewise – There are many reputable providers and material suppliers out there running special prices on their product – how do you have the time to tell

Share on Social Media

Des Squire
    Participant

Is this him?

Share on Social Media

Nigel Shipston
    Participant

Hi Pamela,

Couldn’t agree more!  The TETA system, while still needing some refining to accommodate the context of our work, is probably the best way to deal with these issues.  Unfortunately they slip a little with the evaluation of learning material by contracting people with little SME in the materials they are “evaluating” or even worse, expose our materials to “competitor” developers who have no compunction in thus expanding their own offerings!

I have never understood the need for material to be constantly re-evaluated, mainly because there is no consistency in the “evaluators” approach and processes.  Each time a different person “evaluates” there are new and inconsistent comments, many of which are irrelevant or illegal, particularly in terms of the regulated fields in which SME is essential for evaluation.

I still believe that we should look at establishing a Professional Body for Learning Material Developers, with the possibility of establishing set criteria and guidelines to which we can all agree and subscribe. According to the SAQA Guidelines “The recognition of professional bodies will contribute to strengthening social responsiveness and accountability within professions and promoting pride in association for all professions.”  Sounds like what we need?

Share on Social Media

Arlene Walsh
    Participant

Thank you. I would like to do something towards making her accountable. When I think of the consequences for my company if we had not been scrupulous about checking the material – I shudder. 

We are perfectly capable of preparing the work ourselves but simply had a time crunch. The whole episode meant that we had to re-negotiate delivery dates with the client – something we do not like to do.

So please send me the information. 

Share on Social Media

Nigel Shipston
    Participant

Agreed Graeme, and the unfortunate part is that these underhanded tactics are forcing the reputable developers to lower prices to stay alive.  I have on two occasions with two different providers had to bludgeon refunds out of these scam artists for “material” that was clearly below standard or “resold” as their own.  The unfortunate part is that these providers, without my intervention, would have happily carried on and used these materials, only to discover at the moderation stage that the material was worthless!  And what about the Learners?

While I understand the standpoint of QCTO regarding Learning Materials, and am reasonably irritated with inconsistent and flawed SETA processes for approving Learning Material, like most things, we need to look after ourselves, hence the suggestion of a SAQA registered Professional Body.

Share on Social Media

Nigel Shipston
    Participant

Will do, shall I send it to the Intelesi info address?

Share on Social Media

Graeme Lategan
    Participant

Hi Des – yes that him you were right – it is linkin pic just traced it

Share on Social Media

Arlene Walsh
    Participant

yes, don’t mind revealing it here in case … arlene@intelesi.co.za

Share on Social Media

Pamela Huygen
    Participant

I know for a fact that there are “developers” out there who sell our (SmartScript) learning material without our permission or knowledge.  We’ve even caught training providers doing it. 

One of these have received lawyers letters from us to cease and desist and yet, this guy is still marketing the copies of our material that he has.  Next step is an interdict.  

There are a few others as well but investigation is ongoing so I can’t name them just yet.  

This makes me SO angry!!! Developers work hard, really hard, trying to ensure all the SETA requirements and millions of forms are included, alignments done correctly and most importantly, the content of the learning material and then others come along and just pick the fruit of our labor.  

And yes, you are quite right.  If that is your learning material that you developed, you’ll know exactly what is going on in it and can do the remedial.  

Share on Social Media

Renee’ McGibbon
    Participant

Hi Graeme,

This is atrocious to say the least. I am currently trying to get a resolution for materials for unit standards that I received, incomplete, 6 weeks after I paid for them.

The materials are sub-standard and definitely not compliant and are “copied and pasted” from various sources on the internet (including other countries). The materials developer obviously has no cue about the subject matter!

When I raised the issue of copyright infringements with the supplier and requested a full refund due to the content and copyright infringements, I was told the following:

“Good day and thank
    you for your feedback, as per learning material terms and conditions we cannot
    consider to refund at this point, the learning material will be taken in for
    review as per comments and be re-worked on to meet the client’s expectation
    within 14 days from today. New reworked material will be forwarded to you via
    dropbox. Should the remedial action not meet Seta standards a full report will
    be required from the seta moderator responsible, our refund policy will be
    followed thereafter.”

We are fully aware that the materials are not suitable and will not pass inspection and all this is going to do is delay the accreditation process by at least a further 6 months (if we’re lucky) as it is an ETDP SETA application.

What are the repercussions of “naming and shaming” these so-called materials developers?

This is unfortunately not the first time this as happened to me.

Share on Social Media

Kerrin Badham
    Participant

Please share the website etc and Facebook page so that we can avoid them.  Wish there was a way to blacklist such businesses.

Share on Social Media

Tando Qeqe
    Participant

Thank you,Graeme for opening up the Pandora box.

Share on Social Media

Nigel Shipston
    Participant

Hi Rene,
    This sounds very much along the same lines as the two scam artists I dealt with previously, like a bit of deja vu! I would very much like to encounter this lot again. Those terms are unacceptable, you have every right to demand a refund for a product that is clearly defective. As a matter of interest, were these learning material terms and conditions available when you urchased the materials?

Share on Social Media

Lizeth de Villiers
    Participant

Only a pleasure Pam! You and Narina (Rest her precious soul) showed me such kindness after I got ripped off by another company and your materials truly are of a very high standard. I will NEVER use another material developer (no disrespect to others developers!!) I know the quality of the materials and level of service from SmartScript so I will just stick with you 🙂

Share on Social Media

Renee’ McGibbon
    Participant

Hi Nigel,

No, they were not given to me. Only after my complaint.

Share on Social Media

Renee’ McGibbon
    Participant

Hi All,

I can also highly recommend Smartscript. They are true professionals and their quality is of the best.

Share on Social Media

Pamela Huygen
    Participant

Thanks Renee & Liz!

You guys are making our day 🙂

Share on Social Media

Pamela Huygen
    Participant

Its a huge pleasure Liz! We do what we can to help 🙂

Share on Social Media

Des Squire
    Participant

Hi Graeme, from what I can establish he is working in Dubai for the Emirates Group.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

And it goes something like:  Wait a second, let me catch my breath.  Remind me how it feels to hear your voice, anywhere, anytime – I would do anything for you!  And so we start standing together, with such a loud voice, helping one another, showing that we care.

Graeme and all members that have placed comments/compliments – wow, you guys rock!  This is what we are all about!  Graeme, you get such a big high 5 from me today!!  With every bad experience, we learn how to support each other.  Another day making history on Skills Universe.  This is how we roll!!!!!!

Share on Social Media

Graeme Lategan
    Participant

agreed

Share on Social Media

Graeme Lategan
    Participant

and it wont stop – but at least I have raised a @#$##@storm – so now we are alert

Share on Social Media

Graeme Lategan
    Participant

my pleasure – i am a regular storm in a tea cup but rest assured when I get them – it wont be so mild – we are close –

Share on Social Media

Graeme Lategan
    Participant

there is…but wait….just a while soon all revealed – this has since revealed a huge cartel in south africa – and abroad

Share on Social Media

Pamela Huygen
    Participant

Hi again Graeme, I think it’s all part of a bigger problem.

Whether we are regulated by an association away from the SETAs/QCTO or by them, I really feel we need some regulation, URGENTLY. My reason for wanting to work through the SETAs and QCTO is so we, as developers can guarantee that our material is up to their standards. Especially when it comes to Services who changes the goal post very often. That way, we are always up to date with their newest requirements, also if the material is already accredited our clients wont suffer months of waiting for the evaluations.

Regarding pricing… I can tell you from my experience over the last 10/15 years, it costs the developer nothing less than R60 000 – R80 000 to develop a good quality qualification. This includes research, subject matter experts, admin people to ensure that all SETA requirements (forms from here to kingdom come) is covered in the material, admin people to do alignment matrices and then your curriculum design specialist (aka developer) and those don’t come cheap either. This does not include the sales staff, HR staff salaries, hardware such as laptops etc (general business expenses). It’s just writing the material.

Many years ago, we used to charge R60 000 for a custom/tailored set of material but we had to change with the times during the recession and start designing our material so it is suitable for use by multiple companies/providers, which enabled us to bring our prices down. The next time we brought our prices down, was in an effort to push these fly by night guys out of the market. We’ve had some success but as you can see, some of these guys are just adjusting their prices to stay below ours, with nothing to lose since their expenses are minimal. It has become an evil cycle.

We go lower, they go lower. We are at a point now where we cannot possibly go any lower without closing our doors, which I’m not willing to do after pouring blood, sweat and tears into the industry and our business over 15 years. We now rely on our reputation, marketing and word of mouth.

I have no idea how to attack this problem anymore, other than a regulatory body which is an uphill battle on it’s own. Who determines who is registered, what is required etc? QCTO for example, simply put their hands in the air and said “it’s not part of our mandate”. This includes evaluation of learning material.

Petition the minister perhaps?

I would really love input from as many people as possible on this. The sooner we take this thing on, the better for everyone I think.

I want to cry for developers who lose money to these guys and feel even worse for the potential learner who is losing out on training. 

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Perhaps I should request this now before anyone else does.  Graeme, if I need a bodyguard, are you available?

Share on Social Media

Graeme Lategan
    Participant

Glad I help – JUST IN!!! the investigation has revealed – a huge cartel operating – Nursery schools – some academic institutions –  TVET college staff – Companies in CT – JHB – and some overseas – some associates to this TWAT – have just disappeared – I mean like body disappeared – probably in a shallow grave somewhere – ITS A MASSIVE UNCOVERING – The matter is scary – front companies – BRIBES – and payoffs – STAY TUNED

Share on Social Media

Graeme Lategan
    Participant

Share on Social Media
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Graeme Lategan
    Participant

AT A PRICE – 

Share on Social Media

Graeme Lategan
    Participant

WELL THAT IS THE TRUTH – it sounds like a mountain in an already frustrated system – Someone will champion this – I might give t a bash..

Share on Social Media

Pamela Huygen
    Participant

Wow! I’m shocked.

Share on Social Media

Eduard Rabie
    Participant

Let’s name and shame – here is his banking details that he had on an invoice sent to us. Luckily we never paid him…

Account Name: Jaco Blom
    Branch Code: 051001
    Account Number: 280524188
    Account Type: Cheque

Share on Social Media

Graeme Lategan
    Participant

WE HAVE A DIFFERENT ACCOUNT NUMBER – BUT THANKS – i HAVE ADDED THIS TO THE BRIEF – GIVEN TO MY YAKUZA CONNECTIONS 

Share on Social Media

Graeme Lategan
    Participant

YOU HAVE NO IDEA – I HAVE MORE BUT ITS WITH AN INVESTIGATION MILITARY EXPERT – SO CANT SHOW  

Share on Social Media

Graeme Lategan
    Participant

TRUST ME – I WILL CATCH HIM

Share on Social Media

Rudy Maritz
    Participant
    Jaco Blom
    Street: 658 van dalen road
    City: Johannesburg
    Postal Code: 0125
    Phone: +27.614563907
    Email: email@exceedsd.com
    Share on Social Media

Rudy Maritz
    Participant

Here is some more information

Enterprise Number

2016 / 321205 / 07
    Enterprise Name EXCEED SKILLS
    Enterprise Type Private Company
    Enterprise Status In Business
    Compliance Status COMPLIANT
    Registration Date 2016-07-26
    PHYSICAL ADDRESS:
    9 BERETTA STREET
    WILGEHEUWEL
    WILGEHEUWEL
    GAUTENG
    POSTAL ADDRESS:
    9 BERETTA STREET
    WILGEHEUWEL
    WILGEHEUWEL
    GAUTENG

Registered Directors / Members
    ID / Passport Number Name(s) Surname Type Status
    880609 XXXX 08 X JACO BLOM Director Active
    Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Yes, I know I am expensive, but we can negotiate. lol

Share on Social Media

Nigel Shipston
    Participant

Hi Graeme,

Between Jhb and Pretoria I have encountered at least 8 different “sources” of learning material that has a marked similarity, and I know of 2 distinct groups that could be linked.  There is one that has been operating in Sinoville, Pretoria for well over 4 years now.

Share on Social Media

Graeme Lategan
    Participant

hI nIGEL – YES WE HAVE A link somewhere involving the name – SINOVILLE – SOME of his associates are operating from there – it appears to be a school of some sorts – my investigators are checking it out  

Share on Social Media

Graeme Lategan
    Participant

look forward to the negotiations

Share on Social Media

Graeme Lategan
    Participant

hi rudy –this is cool thanks – we have different addresses – but these are new – also would love to get a complete id number – the net is closing in….info@graemelategan.com

Share on Social Media

Nigel Shipston
    Participant

They work under 2 company names, NSA Consulting and BBT Institute.  Apparently they work under the “accreditation” of BBT Institute, but the accreditation letters for both ETDP and LGSETA on the webpage have expired.  There is a white lady and an ex ETQA Practitioner that I have linked to them as well.

Share on Social Media

Des Squire
    Participant

Hi Graeme, Sent you a message earlier. He is apparently working for the Emirates Group and based in Dubai.

Share on Social Media

Graeme Lategan
    Participant

i see that but that only makes it easier for us – we are currently engaging the company to track him if that is indeed the case – easier because they will detain him on fraud charges – and that would basically be the end of him – but at this time we are in drone mode –  

Share on Social Media

Graeme Lategan
    Participant

ON A LIGHTER NOTE – received fantastic service from CATHSETA – I received my Assessor and Moderator Accreditation from CATHSETA – in record time – less than 2 weeks – Registered for a RECORD 38 FULL QUALIFICATIONS – and added this to my portfolio – Thanks guys for outstanding service – WOW!!  

Share on Social Media

Renee’ McGibbon
    Participant

These are the same crown that I am trying to get  my money back from as we speak.!

I will lay a charge of fraud against him!! Anyone interested in a Class Action against him?

Share on Social Media

Renee’ McGibbon
    Participant

Pamela,

I am, and have been an avid supporter of your product since I have been in operation, and after being bitten by going the “cheaper alternative” route, will continue to support you.

My only problem arises when you don’t have the materials that I’m looking for….as in my last case.

I have gotten to the point of having to refuse business or try to convince a client to change direction if I can’t source materials from you.

I do have one other materials supplier, but the proof of their materials will only be tasted in either a pre-assessment moderation exercise prior to submission (and after payment in full for materials), or at the point of accreditation evaluation.

There is a large market for your service and product excellency Pamela. Keep up the excellent work. We appreciate Smartscript!!!

Share on Social Media

Pamela Huygen
    Participant

I’ll be right there next to you. It’s time someone takes this on I think. Might as well be us

Share on Social Media

Pamela Huygen
    Participant

Thanks Renee!

It’s really, really great to hear that you are this happy with our services!

We’re expanding our field into Agri at the moment, so hopefully that helps you bit 🙂
    We’re nearly done with our first QCTO qualification as well.

Please, you must not hesitate to let us know when you’re looking for something we dont have. It helps us “keep our finger on the pulse” of what’s going on out there and what people need.

It’s been a real pleasure working with you!

Share on Social Media

Renee’ McGibbon
    Participant

I will certainly do that Pamela. Thank you!

Share on Social Media

Pamela Huygen
    Participant

Nigel, How about we put our feelers out and get a panel together?

Once we have that going, we can try register it as a body to regulate material/developers, by industry experts.It’s just a thought I’m throwing out there.

I feel sitting around, waiting, asking and begging the SETAs/QCTO/GOV to step in isn’t going to accomplish much. We’ve been doing it for years. Best predictor of the future is the past.

Share on Social Media

Pamela Huygen
    Participant

Wow, that is record time! Great stuff 

Share on Social Media

Fiona de Beer Nel
    Participant

Fantastic idea

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Somewhere, we started having this discussion.  We started talking about this and correct me if I am wrong – the name of such institution we even thought of was the FFS Institution (in memory of Narina) – Nigel I cannot remember under which discussion this was unfortunately – but then it stopped (or my internet connection was hi-jacked again by gremlins). 

Pamela you are 100% correct.  This industry needs an institution that will look after providers, developers and ETD practitioners (all in one) as they all play a part in each others lives – and there is a big need for this for sure!

Okay, back to my quiet place fighting gremlins for the next couple of hours!

Share on Social Media

Pamela Huygen
    Participant

We spoke about it on the Cape Town QCTO discussion… 

I’m serious though. I’d love to get a panel going but can’t do it alone.   We’ll have to stick together if something like that will ever really work.  

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Pamela, you are right – that’s it.  It was with the QCTO Cape Town Session discussion – I really appreciate your memory!!!  It cannot be done by one person, it will never work, it must be a panel that has passion for providers and will go the extra mile and beyond. 

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Hi Nigel, Fiona, Lynel, Renee and Pam,

Why don’t you put together a single page of what you think the organisation would look like, and do and why necessary.

I will undertake to distribute it to all members and via Skills Portal – much more readers than we have here.  

We ask for interest. Once we see the level of interest then you can decide what to do next.

Share on Social Media

Tass Schwab
    Participant

Thank you for this! I am firmly in your shoes. Read my blog about buying material please? It highlights the fact that cheap should be ringing alarm bells. May they find their exact Karma returning to them!

Share on Social Media

Fiona de Beer Nel
    Participant

Well firstly I think this organisation should hold and update a list of identified scam companies. This will be decided after a set of investigative criteria are met, and not just assumption. Like what Graeme is doing. Conducting intensive investigation. Maybe going as far as possibly visiting the provider since as mention during this discussion that they are very reluctant to show their “face”.

Secondly a panel of experts should be able to determine if the material is really of poor quality or insuffiently developed. As a informed decision should be made because flagging providers as a scam can cause havoc or even legal action.

A service offered by this organisation can be:

• A skills provider can contact the organisation to review this material to determine sufficiency.
    • The organisation can be a reference to skill providers of what companies are valid to use: almost like a yellow pages for legitimate material providers
    • Or they can also provide trusted material at a reasonable price. Open to customisation and then the organisation gets in the material writers
    • The organisation can also build a pool of trusted material developers that can be referred to depending on the need of the skills provider

Well I think roughly that is what I think

Share on Social Media

Tando Qeqe
    Participant

I agree fully with you Fiona ,on setting up that structure, just to add on. The same is possible happening with bogus Training Providers/Assessors/Moderators,or it can easily start up with them as well as the vacuum will be created in other avenues,if it hasn’t started. Lets remember SCAMMERS are opportunistic,most probably will venture in spaces with few people as we have experienced with LMDs,compared to big groups.

Factually,the common denominator here is the cheap costing across business sectors,therefore,it affects all in sundry. In my case,I offer all those afore-mentioned services. Therefore,I’m at risk in all.

Lets pull together all people.

Lets roll our sleeves and tighten up regulation. Of course,we have Graeme to help us with his investigative skills as CCFO-Critical Cross Functional Outcomes.joke Graeme.

Share on Social Media

Nigel Shipston
    Participant

Hi Sylvia,

I think that may be an excellent idea.  I shall do a little consulting with my compatriots to confirm the intention and then send through to you.

Share on Social Media

Arlene Walsh
    Participant

I might like to be involved as the issue of plagiarised materials impacting on reputation is a grave one. People need to be brought to book.

Please keep me in the loop.

Share on Social Media

Pamela Huygen
    Participant

Sounds like a plan to me!

I am overjoyed this morning that something is finally happening.

All of you have my email address. Let’s get this ball rolling!

Share on Social Media

Eduard Rabie
    Participant

Last time I spoke to Mr Blom – He indicated that he was moving to the Hartbeespoort area. That was last year around June / July

Share on Social Media

Graeme Lategan
    Participant

at least we can laugh T- MAN

Share on Social Media

Graeme Lategan
    Participant

THIS HELPS – THANKS ED – 

Share on Social Media

Graeme Lategan
    Participant

NEWSFLASH – NEWS FLASH – I got a suspect email today – see attached – Obviously somebody is alerted – 

Good day Graeme,

How are the studies going?

Regards

Lucky

———————————————————————

This is a copy of a message sent to you at “Exceed”. Go to

I responded but – quiet –

SO TO YOU I SAY – PLEASE ENSURE YOU HAVE ADEQUATE MEDICAL COVER – YOUR IP ADDRESS IS BEING DRONED –   

Share on Social Media

Fiona de Beer Nel
    Participant

Hehe Graeme, I myself got an email to remove my comments

Share on Social Media

Fiona de Beer Nel
      Participant

I just wanted to add my follow up here, since the provider told me to remove my comments on this forum about his company.

He, Cremo Vengay, demanded a meeting after I have identified him NOT as being the author of the material sold to my client. And him taking 2 months to make amendments to the materials, and that we STILL dont have. I indicated that I have no interest in meeting him as the only thing I want is the amendments and if this was his material it would have taken him less than a week to fix. On multiple excuses why the amendments are not made, I agreed to a meeting, upon his words that I will be suprised.

So guess what, SURPRISE, Who is a NO SHOW.

So to all please be aware of purchasing materials from IQSkills Academy – they are selling materials that they did not develop and that does not comply with the SETA requirements. So dont step into this trap

Share on Social Media

Renee’ McGibbon
    Participant

I almost cursed…. WOW Graeme!

I think we should establish a regulatory body….

Perhaps we should set up a meeting/conference with interested stakeholders. I would be happy to organise.

Your thoughts please all…

Share on Social Media

Renee’ McGibbon
    Participant

Hi Sylvia,

Just seen your post. I will do so.

Thank you.

Share on Social Media

Nigel Shipston
    Participant

Hi Renee,

Sent you a mail with the outline for Sylvia, to review.

Share on Social Media

Graeme Lategan
    Participant

lol – pressure is on – I DONT SCARE THAT EASY – 

Share on Social Media

Nigel Shipston
    Participant

These tactics are nothing but confirmation of guilt.  Innocent people don’t do this.  Very difficult to defend oneself when the noose is already tightened around the neck. I think this lot haven’t watched enough movies, don’t they know that the bad guy gets nailed every time because he talks too much?

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media