SAQA Qualifications reaching expiration in June 2021

Front Page Looking For… SETA ISSUES SAQA Qualifications reaching expiration in June 2021

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jenny Mamdoo
    Participant

Hello lovely skills development professionals,

Services Seta is our primary Seta and they have advised that none of the SAQA qualifications will be re-registered and we need to approach the QCTO for the accreditation process for these. I have once again embarked on “a journey to the centre of the earth” trying to find someone at the QCTO who can assist.

Does anyone already know what the process is? I would think that the qualifications still need to be re-registered even if the primary or delegated quality assurance functionary changes. Or are these qualifications falling away? Does anyone know who the direct contact at the QCTO is who is responsible for this process?

Share on Social Media
    Lynel Farrell
    Keymaster

What an interesting question! Some Legacy Qualifications will not be re-registered – this depends whether they have already been re-aligned to Occupational Qualifications or not. If we go back to the 24th December 2020 – when majority of providers were closed for the festive season, a Gazette was published (yes, the day before Christmas – unbelievable). An extract of the Gazette reads:

Pre-2009 Qualifications (Under the SAQA Act, 1995)
    13. The registration end date for Pre-2009 qualifications and unit standards registered on the OQSF shall be 30 June 2023.
    14. The last date of first-time learners enrolling for Pre-2009 qualifications and unit standards registered on the OQSF shall be 30 June 2024.

I will attempt to add this extract for ease of reference.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    karen deller
    Participant

Hi – three of our 26 accredited qualifications expire this year in June 2021. And one expired last year in June 2020 (50333 – I know why that one will not be renewed). Of the three expiring this year two have no QCTO replacements yet (Banking 5, Contact Centre 3). Both have many learners. Both fill a need. BANKSETA is trying to reregister Banking 5 (61589) but SSETA appears not to be trying to re-register Contact Centre 3 or Bus Admin 4. The QCTO is now a reality for sure.

Jenny Mamdoo
    Participant

Thanks so much, Lynel. I have seen the Gazette that Sylvia shared. I am also taken aback by the date of publication of the gazette (never in a million years would I have thought to check around that time).

Karen, I share your concern about Contact Centre level 3. Services Seta has confirmed that both Contact Centre Level 3 and 4 will not be re-registered and that providers should contact the QCTO on the accreditation process for these qualifications.

Is there a way of knowing what providers (and employers) can do regarding the entry level qualifications that may not be re-registered? If I may use this example, the QCTO only has the Contact Centre Manager qualification registered for this field – so what will happen to our entry level learners into this rapidly growing industry? Is there any way that Skills development providers can provide input on which qualifications should be re-registered due to employer demand? What are the implications for accredited providers now?

I have contacted the QCTO with these questions and I still have not had a response.

Whilst we are on the topic of the occupational qualification Contact Centre Manager – the DQP has openly admitted that they do not have the EISA in place yet – so cannot even provide guidelines on how to structure the learning and adequately prepare learners for the final assessment.

Does anyone know who is the best person at the QCTO to help answer these questions relating to the expiring qualifications?

Lynel Farrell
    Keymaster

Response from SAQA reads:

Dear Lynel There are pre-2009 qualifications with an end-registration date of 30 June 2021. The list was provided to the QCTO. The Ministerial Determination indicated that pre-2009 qualifications registered on the OQSF will not be registered after 30 June 2023.

The QCTO indicated that a letter will be forwarded to SAQA that will indicate which qualifications need to be re-registered until 2023. It was pointed out that qualifications with no learner data on the National Learners’ Record Database (NLRD), i.e. learner enrolment and learner achievement, will not be re-registered.

The new date will only appear from 1 July 2021.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Share on Social Media