SAQA Education & Training Ombud Study

Front Page Looking For… Training Service Providers SAQA Education & Training Ombud Study

This topic contains 1 reply, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Tass Schwab 2 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Kate Sani
    Participant

SAQA has set up a blog to gather public opinion on the following:

• Do you think there is a need for an Education and Training Ombud?
    • What could the functions of this Ombud be?
    • Where should this Ombud be located?
    • What would the benefits and risks of having an Ombud for Education and Training be?
    The blog will run from 7-17 March 2016, and will be moderated by SAQA staff and staff from JET Education Services. 
    The blog can be accessed on the SAQA site.
    Share on Social Media

Thokozani Absalom
    Participant

Kate Sani The Queensland Government has passed legislation to establish a permanent Training Ombudsman as part of its plan to focus on quality training and reinvigorate the vocational educational and training (VET) sector in Queensland.

Share on Social Media

Thokozani Absalom
    Participant

Kate Sani here is an National Policy Assessment “Click” and download Pdf http://www.saqa.org.za/docs/pol/2015/National%20Policy%20for%20Assessment.pdf

Share on Social Media

Kate Sani
    Participant

Thank you Thokozani. How about posting your ideas on the SAQA Blog? The address is:

http://saqa-ombud.blogspot.co.za/2016/03/isthere-need-for-education-and-training.html#comment-form

Share on Social Media

Tass Schwab
    Participant

This could be amazing. I will post what I am saying here on the website too. There are many sectors that successfully utilize this important mediator function. (Banking and Insurance is one that really does their job well) We have an Ombudsmen website and association in South Africa ( http://ombudsman.ombudsmen.co.za/find-an-ombudsman/) I see the role being the same as all others. Pop on over to read all the ins and outs of what they do. Taken from their website:

An Ombudsman (conventional English plural: ombudsmen) is a person who acts as a trusted intermediary between an organization and some internal or external constituency while representing the broad scope of constituent interests. An indigenous Danish, Norwegian, and Swedish term, Ombudsman is etymologically rooted in the Old Norse wordumbuðsmann, essentially meaning “representative”. An ombudsman is an official, usually appointed by the government or by parliament, who is charged with representing the interests of the public by investigating and addressing complaints reported by individual citizens.

So my questions are:

1. Yes we do need a body that is able to be an unbiased mediator but what will it regulate? Training service providers? Material Developers? Learners? SETAS? Thus, who will the Ombud regulate and which unbiased party’s will be given the task to do so? 
    2. It does not really matter where they are located because this is pretty much a remote function. 
    3. The benefits for Education and Training would be enormous but HOW and WHO benefits all depends on what I ask in number 1.

This conversation needs far more time to be commented on. I think that there needs to be an extension for commentary. 

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media