Retention period for portfolios

Front Page Looking For… Training Service Providers Retention period for portfolios

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  sylvia hammond 5 months ago.

• Author

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Question from Karen Deller
    Hi, we are an accredited provider with SSETA and have always been told by their external moderators that we have to keep portfolios for at least five years. i am trying to get confirmation of this rulings as I have a client challenging our decision. SSETA is not committing either way. Has anyone else heard this? And, hopefully, do you have it in writing? (Or course I am delighted as it means I can free up three big storage rooms – but I dont want to get onto trouble later again).

Share on Social Media

Nigel Shipston
    Participant

Hi Sylvia/Karen,
    This is one of those indeterminate issues where everybody has their own interpretation of retention periods. While 5 years appears to be a generally accepted practice, perhaps we should establish from QCTO what they consider acceptable retention periods for various records?

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Dear Nigel,
    I think you are right – that is a good call.
    If I had known yesterday I would have been able to ask Vijayen Naidoo as he was in Cape Town at the Cos ARM seminar.
    I have sent off an email to him and will post his reply.
    sylvia

Share on Social Media

Des Squire
    Participant

My understanding is – 5 years. It is required in terms of the access to information act to ensure the learner information is available. I am fairly certain the act says five years but would have to check this out.

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Thank you to all who responded.
    I emailed the QCTO CEO Vijayen Naidoo and he responded very quickly and asked for further details. He is now in communication with Karen Deller who raised the issue.
    Vijayen has promised to investigate, and so we will publish when we have the guidance in writing.
    sylvia

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media